S4 throttle delay

Old September 2nd 06, 09:28 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete Stolz

Default S4 throttle delay

Hi guys,
I have a 2004 S4 with the 6 speed, and when I go to power, there's a delay
of maybe half a second from the time I ask for the power to the time I get
it. It doesn't sound like much, but it's very annoying. I asked the
dealership about it (and had the tech drive it), and the tech told me it was
just because I wasn't used to a car with so much hp. That's not it. They
also said there were no software updates available for it. Anybody have a
clue how to fix it? It's driving me nuts.
--
Pete
'84 CJ-7 with a bunch of engine mods. Looks pretty stock from the outside.

Old September 3rd 06, 12:14 AM posted to alt.autos.audi
Tony[_1_]

I think that pulling the codes is the place to start ... at an independent shop.

I drove a friend's '04 S4 6spd in an Audi track day and do not remember that
happening. What I do remember is very quick response.

The dealer's tech sounds like he is good as BSing uninformed customers to save
the dealer money.

Old September 5th 06, 03:22 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Charlie Giannetto[_1_]

In article > ,
Pete Stolz > wrote:
>Hi guys,
>I have a 2004 S4 with the 6 speed, and when I go to power, there's a delay
>of maybe half a second from the time I ask for the power to the time I get
>it. It doesn't sound like much, but it's very annoying. I asked the
>dealership about it (and had the tech drive it), and the tech told me it was
>just because I wasn't used to a car with so much hp. That's not it. They
>also said there were no software updates available for it. Anybody have a
>clue how to fix it? It's driving me nuts.

Pete,

Have you tried resetting the drive-by-wire (DBW) memory? Turn the key on
(do not start the car) and hold the gas pedal down for 15 seconds. See
if that changes anything for you. Another thing you might want to check
is the air filter pre-screen (in the air intake snorkel between the top of
the air box and the inlet that's screwed into the grill area). That little
bugger gets all clogged with debris and if you don't clean it out, it
could easily impede air flow into the air box.

- Charlie
04 S4 6MT
06 A4 2.0T Avant

Old September 11th 06, 05:11 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete Stolz

"Charlie Giannetto" > wrote in message
> In article > ,
> Pete Stolz > wrote:
>>Hi guys,
>>I have a 2004 S4 with the 6 speed, and when I go to power, there's a delay
>>of maybe half a second from the time I ask for the power to the time I get
>>it. It doesn't sound like much, but it's very annoying. I asked the
>>dealership about it (and had the tech drive it), and the tech told me it
>>was
>>just because I wasn't used to a car with so much hp. That's not it. They
>>also said there were no software updates available for it. Anybody have a
>>clue how to fix it? It's driving me nuts.

> Pete,
>
> Have you tried resetting the drive-by-wire (DBW) memory? Turn the key on
> (do not start the car) and hold the gas pedal down for 15 seconds. See
> if that changes anything for you. Another thing you might want to check
> is the air filter pre-screen (in the air intake snorkel between the top of
> the air box and the inlet that's screwed into the grill area). That
> little
> bugger gets all clogged with debris and if you don't clean it out, it
> could easily impede air flow into the air box.
>
> - Charlie
> 04 S4 6MT
> 06 A4 2.0T Avant

Hi Charlie,
I tried both of your suggestions to no avail. Thanks for the help though.
Pete

Old September 11th 06, 05:15 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Pete Stolz

I think that's the plan at this point. And you're right about the tech
being good at BSing, and I knew it at the time. I just didn't know what
else to say. Thanks for your help.
Pete

Old September 16th 06, 12:24 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Robert[_1_]

On Mon, 11 Sep 2006 16:11:33 +0000, Pete Stolz wrote:

>> Have you tried resetting the drive-by-wire (DBW) memory? Turn the key on
>> (do not start the car) and hold the gas pedal down for 15 seconds. See
>> if that changes anything for you. Another thing you might want to check
>> is the air filter pre-screen (in the air intake snorkel between the top of
>> the air box and the inlet that's screwed into the grill area). That
>> little
>> bugger gets all clogged with debris and if you don't clean it out, it
>> could easily impede air flow into the air box.
>>

> Hi Charlie,
> I tried both of your suggestions to no avail. Thanks for the help though.
> Pete

I think it should be the following;

1. Turn key on (don't start)
2. Press pedal to the floor and wait 15 seconds
3. With the pedal to the floor turn key off
4. Release pedal and wait 2 minutes for memory to be reset

--

Regards
Robert

Smile... it increases your face value!

Old September 24th 06, 08:56 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
marcus

> I think it should be the following;
>
> 1. Turn key on (don't start)
> 2. Press pedal to the floor and wait 15 seconds
> 3. With the pedal to the floor turn key off
> 4. Release pedal and wait 2 minutes for memory to be reset

The problen I have with the throttle, on the same car, is that it sustains
throttle when I take my foot "off" will the above help me?

Old September 29th 06, 10:34 PM posted to alt.autos.audi
Robert[_1_]

On Sun, 24 Sep 2006 20:56:12 +0100, marcus wrote:

>> I think it should be the following;
>>
>> 1. Turn key on (don't start)
>> 2. Press pedal to the floor and wait 15 seconds
>> 3. With the pedal to the floor turn key off
>> 4. Release pedal and wait 2 minutes for memory to be reset

> The problen I have with the throttle, on the same car, is that it sustains
> throttle when I take my foot "off" will the above help me?

Give it a try. Can't hurt none.