C3 smog pump problem

Old November 16th 04, 12:11 AM
B Dragon

Wayne, Mark and Diode. Thanks. You are all right on the money. In fact,
thanks a whole lot. I missed Dr. Rebuild's closing time by five minutes, so
I will call him tomorrow (grumpy sounding *******, isn't he?) and hope he's
got the diverter. And, I'm checking for Standard Ignition.

I suppose I need (or might as well) replace the diverter valve and the check
valves if they are available. Seems like usually when one thing gives way,
the rest are soon to follow.

Diode, I'd love to be creative in the solution as well, but since the car
needs to pass smog, I don't suppose I can be.

Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out both for availability and
cost.

Old November 16th 04, 07:18 PM
WayneC

B Dragon wrote:
> Wayne, Mark and Diode. Thanks. You are all right on the money. In fact,
> thanks a whole lot. I missed Dr. Rebuild's closing time by five minutes, so
> I will call him tomorrow (grumpy sounding *******, isn't he?) and hope he's
> got the diverter. And, I'm checking for Standard Ignition.
>
> I suppose I need (or might as well) replace the diverter valve and the check
> valves if they are available. Seems like usually when one thing gives way,
> the rest are soon to follow.
>
> Diode, I'd love to be creative in the solution as well, but since the car
> needs to pass smog, I don't suppose I can be.
>
> Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out both for availability and
> cost.

I shoulda warned you.
Old November 16th 04, 07:18 PM
WayneC

B Dragon wrote:
> Wayne, Mark and Diode. Thanks. You are all right on the money. In fact,
> thanks a whole lot. I missed Dr. Rebuild's closing time by five minutes, so
> I will call him tomorrow (grumpy sounding *******, isn't he?) and hope he's
> got the diverter. And, I'm checking for Standard Ignition.
>
> I suppose I need (or might as well) replace the diverter valve and the check
> valves if they are available. Seems like usually when one thing gives way,
> the rest are soon to follow.
>
> Diode, I'd love to be creative in the solution as well, but since the car
> needs to pass smog, I don't suppose I can be.
>
> Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out both for availability and
> cost.

I shoulda warned you.
Old November 17th 04, 12:00 AM
B Dragon

"WayneC" > wrote in message
> B Dragon wrote:
> > Wayne, Mark and Diode. Thanks. You are all right on the money. In

fact,
> > thanks a whole lot. I missed Dr. Rebuild's closing time by five

minutes, so
> > I will call him tomorrow (grumpy sounding *******, isn't he?) and hope

he's
> > got the diverter. And, I'm checking for Standard Ignition.
> >
> > I suppose I need (or might as well) replace the diverter valve and the

check
> > valves if they are available. Seems like usually when one thing gives

way,
> > the rest are soon to follow.
> >
> > Diode, I'd love to be creative in the solution as well, but since the

car
> > needs to pass smog, I don't suppose I can be.
> >
> > Thanks again. I'll let you know how it turns out both for availability

and
> > cost.
> >

> I shoulda warned you.

It was pretty easy to tell from his web pages.

I found the exhaust check valve at NAPA for $14.00. I just ordered the
diverter valve from GiantAutoParts.com. It came to $50.00 includings 2nd
day air and taxes. I should be good to go in a couple more days.

Thanks again for the assistance.

Old November 17th 04, 12:00 AM
B Dragon

Old November 17th 04, 02:43 PM
Diode

B Dragon spoke thusly:

> I found the exhaust check valve at NAPA for $14.00. I just ordered the
> diverter valve from GiantAutoParts.com. It came to $50.00 includings 2nd

Giant Auto Parts huh? I'll have to check that out... Is that $50 for a
new one? I've found a bunch of used ones (diverter valves) but they
prolly have the same problem that the one I already have does.

--

Shut up, Dave.

-|>|- Diode -|<|-
'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville
Old November 17th 04, 02:43 PM
Diode

B Dragon spoke thusly:

Old November 17th 04, 08:03 PM
B Dragon

"Diode" > wrote in message
t...
> B Dragon spoke thusly:
>

> > I found the exhaust check valve at NAPA for $14.00. I just ordered the
> > diverter valve from GiantAutoParts.com. It came to $50.00 includings

2nd

> Giant Auto Parts huh? I'll have to check that out... Is that $50 for a
> new one? I've found a bunch of used ones (diverter valves) but they
> prolly have the same problem that the one I already have does.
>
> --
>
> Shut up, Dave.
>
> -|>|- Diode -|<|-
> '68 L-79 Coupe
> '79 Triumph Bonneville

Let me correct a couple of things. The place is Auto Parts Giant. I had
that backward. They have two brands of diverter valves. The one I ordered
is the Standard Motor Products, # DV31. It's called an AIR
Management/Diverter valve. There is a picture of it, and it looks identical
to mine. The cost is $34.00. The other is KEM 137-192. There is a note
with it that says: oe unit #17084023. There is no price given. You have to
call them.

This is the URL for the main page of the site. You have to enter the
vehicle info to get to the right page for the valve.
http://www.autopartsgiant.com/demox34a.cfm

They have the diverter tubes as well.

Hope that helps, Diode.

Old November 17th 04, 08:03 PM
B Dragon

t...

Old November 17th 04, 09:25 PM
Diode

B Dragon spoke thusly:

> http://www.autopartsgiant.com/demox34a.cfm

Hmmm...looks a lot like mine...I wonder if it would work...

--

Shut up, Dave.

'68 L-79 Coupe
'79 Triumph Bonneville