Dodge caravan Metric Tools?

Old February 13th 08, 06:32 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Denny B

Default Dodge caravan Metric Tools?

Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan, anyone know who
makes the 3.3L engine? Also the tools required to work on
the vehicle, are they Metric or the standard N.American tools?

Thank you in advance
Denny B

Old February 13th 08, 02:31 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
aarcuda69062

In article <sawsj.19439$w57.17963@edtnps90>,
"Denny B" > wrote:

> Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan, anyone know who
> makes the 3.3L engine?

Chrysler

> Also the tools required to work on
> the vehicle, are they Metric or the standard N.American tools?

Everything is metric
Old February 13th 08, 10:24 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
HLS

"aarcuda69062" > wrote in message
> In article <sawsj.19439$w57.17963@edtnps90>,
> "Denny B" > wrote:
>
>> Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan, anyone know who
>> makes the 3.3L engine?

> Chrysler

The OP might want to take a look at the following link for a little
history on the 3.3 L. It is apparently not a bad engine.
http://www.allpar.com/mopar/33.html

Old February 14th 08, 01:00 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Bob M.

"Denny B" > wrote in message
> Just purchased a 2006 Dodge Caravan, anyone know who
> makes the 3.3L engine? Also the tools required to work on
> the vehicle, are they Metric or the standard N.American tools?
>
> Thank you in advance
> Denny B

All vehicles, even those made in the US of A, have been metric for the past
25 years.

Old February 14th 08, 06:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

Bob M. wrote:
> All vehicles, even those made in the US of A, have been metric for the past
> 25 years.

There's a big difference between a vehicle being metric and a vehicle having
some metric parts.

--
B. Hussein Obama won't wear an American flag on his lapel, or put his hand over
his heart during the national anthem, but prominently displayed in his Houston
Old February 15th 08, 02:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

clifto > wrote in
:

> Bob M. wrote:
>> All vehicles, even those made in the US of A, have been metric for
>> the past 25 years.

> There's a big difference between a vehicle being metric and a vehicle
> having some metric parts.

Vehicles designed in North America have been created entirely in Metric for
at least the last 20 years.

In the CAD/CAM files, cars are subdivided into one-decimeter (10cm, about
4") cubes.

With a few exceptions, fasteners have been Metric for at least that long,
I'm sure.

--
Tegger

Old February 15th 08, 03:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nicholas[_2_]

:

>> Bob M. wrote:
>>> All vehicles, even those made in the US of A, have been metric for
>>> the past 25 years.

>> There's a big difference between a vehicle being metric and a vehicle
>> having some metric parts.
>>

>Vehicles designed in North America have been created entirely in Metric for
>at least the last 20 years.
>
>In the CAD/CAM files, cars are subdivided into one-decimeter (10cm, about
>4") cubes.
>
>With a few exceptions, fasteners have been Metric for at least that long,
>I'm sure.

Not exactly. I've got a Merc Sable that has both Metric and English
fasteners and bolts. So I bought one of those combination socket sets
to cover all the bases.

Nick

Old February 15th 08, 05:21 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
clifto

Nicholas wrote:
> Tegger > wrote:
>>clifto > wrote:
>>>
>>> There's a big difference between a vehicle being metric and a vehicle
>>> having some metric parts.

>>Vehicles designed in North America have been created entirely in Metric for
>>at least the last 20 years.
>>
>>In the CAD/CAM files, cars are subdivided into one-decimeter (10cm, about
>>4") cubes.
>>
>>With a few exceptions, fasteners have been Metric for at least that long,
>>I'm sure.

> Not exactly. I've got a Merc Sable that has both Metric and English
> fasteners and bolts. So I bought one of those combination socket sets
> to cover all the bases.

My 1989 and 1991 Grand Marquises have more English than metric parts.
My 1994 Acclaim has a good number of English parts, and they're always
the ones I approach with a metric socket. All were made in the last 20
years.

--
B. Hussein Obama won't wear an American flag on his lapel, or put his hand over
his heart during the national anthem, but prominently displayed in his Houston
campaign office are TWO Cuban flags, each with a picture of Che Guevara
superimposed on it.
Old February 15th 08, 07:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Ray[_9_]

Tegger wrote:
> clifto > wrote in
> :
>
>> Bob M. wrote:
>>> All vehicles, even those made in the US of A, have been metric for
>>> the past 25 years.

>> There's a big difference between a vehicle being metric and a vehicle
>> having some metric parts.
>>

> Vehicles designed in North America have been created entirely in Metric for
> at least the last 20 years.
>
> In the CAD/CAM files, cars are subdivided into one-decimeter (10cm, about
> 4") cubes.
>
> With a few exceptions, fasteners have been Metric for at least that long,
> I'm sure.

Yeah, but not all parts on all vehicles in the last 20 years are
designed in the last 20 years.
I own a 90 Beretta (3.1), a 90 Chevy 1/2 Ton (350) and an 01 Trans Am.
I've come across standard size bolts on both of the 90's. I'm trying to
remember exactly what (it's late), but I think it was either engine
related and/or rear axle related on the truck. Both engines on these
two vehicles are old enough designs to predate metric. I do know that
both shop manuals warn about the fact that they may use both measuring
systems.

There is a possibility that the parts on these vehicles that aren't
metric were replaced - on the Beretta, replacement balljoints and
tierods weren't metric. (That might also be brand specific too.. Moog
is say standard and TRW would be metric.)

I'm just a diy-er but generally buy tools in both SAE and metric. Even
if you own a 1970 Buick that's all standard, you might meet a cutie with
a 90 Beretta that's got a busted alternator... and eventually marry her.

Ray
Old February 15th 08, 08:42 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Nicholas[_2_]

On Thu, 14 Feb 2008 23:21:03 -0600, clifto > wrote:

>Nicholas wrote:
>> Tegger > wrote:

>>>Vehicles designed in North America have been created entirely in Metric for
>>>at least the last 20 years.
>>>
>>>In the CAD/CAM files, cars are subdivided into one-decimeter (10cm, about
>>>4") cubes.
>>>
>>>With a few exceptions, fasteners have been Metric for at least that long,
>>>I'm sure.

>> Not exactly. I've got a Merc Sable that has both Metric and English
>> fasteners and bolts. So I bought one of those combination socket sets
>> to cover all the bases.

>My 1989 and 1991 Grand Marquises have more English than metric parts.
>My 1994 Acclaim has a good number of English parts, and they're always
>the ones I approach with a metric socket. All were made in the last 20
>years.

Yep. It is a small PITA figuring out which a bolt head needs, but I'm
used to it by now. In some cases you can get away with either. For
example lug nuts: 3/4 inch vs 19mm. But on other stuff, smaller bolts
that can't afford that *tolerance,* you have to get the best fit you
can so as not to strip the bolt heads. Especially ones on the brake
system that can require high torque (caliper bracket bolts).
>--
>B. Hussein Obama won't wear an American flag on his lapel, or put his hand over
>his heart during the national anthem, but prominently displayed in his Houston
>campaign office are TWO Cuban flags, each with a picture of Che Guevara
>superimposed on it.

He went to Islamic Madrassas when he was a kid, so what do you expect?
He was Islamic. Don't know if he still is. But I won't hold that
against him. As long as he doesn't make me bow down to Mecca 4 times
a day and eat camel for supper.

Nick

Dodge PART 8, Car Diagnostic and Tunning equipment, Dashboard tools, Workshop manuals [email protected] Dodge 0 October 20th 07 08:40 PM
Metric Ignorance? Richard Chrysler 1 September 27th 06 06:03 PM
Metric fasteners Bob[_2_] Ford Explorer 1 August 24th 06 03:58 PM
What to do with metric rims? Michael Harvey BMW 14 September 7th 05 05:43 PM
Metric to English Ct Midnite BMW 19 May 6th 05 07:12 PM