2004 Explorer - no communication to any computer/module

Old January 7th 08, 04:20 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Default 2004 Explorer - no communication to any computer/module

Hi guys,

I have this 04 Explorer in the shop, that got struck by lightning. Now
the machine does not start. When I hook up my scanner (Snap On Mt
5100), there is no communication to any computer or module (PCM, ABS,
Instrument Cluster, Airbag, etc...) possible. I checked all wires that
relate to CAN, ISO and UBP communication. Everything checks out just
fine. Even if I try to connoct to one module only (all others are
disconnected), I can't access a single one. The next step in the
diagnostic schedule (we are using Alldata) recommended replacing the
PCM (ECU), which did not help. Now I will have to try with a new
Instrument Cluster, it should arrive in a few days, but I don't think
it will work out.

Now, one thing keeps getting my attention. That is the blinking light
for the anti theft system (PATS). The system does not allow the engine
to start. Can a not working PATS shut down all communication to the
other systems??? I doubt it, but maybe one of you Ford technicians can
teach me wrong...?

I would be happy for any advise, I'm running out of ideas here...

Thanks,
-Kai-
Old January 7th 08, 07:01 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

Does it crank? Did you check all the fuses? Is there some way to
bypass the anti theft system? Examine all the wiring. If lightning is
following the wiring then it might blow through the insulation to
ground and cause an open at that point. The wiring could appear
damaged in a spot like that. Maybe checking for voltage at different
points would help isolate a problem. Of course the modules could be
damaged also.
Old January 7th 08, 07:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Mike Romain

Wow, a totally fried system or 'you' have a dead computer in your
scanner....

Forget the alarm, if the components won't individually test, they are
cooked. Was the vehicle insured?

Mike
'New' frame in the works for '08. Some Canadian Bush Trip and Build
Photos: http://mikeromainjeeptrips.shutterfly.com

Old January 13th 08, 12:46 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
philthy[_1_]

did you check the fuse that is for the cigar lighter??/ it provides poer
to the aldl

Old January 13th 08, 02:22 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Marsh Monster

On Jan 7, 10:20�am, wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have this 04 Explorer in the shop, that got struck by lightning. Now
> the machine does not start. When I hook up my scanner (Snap On Mt
> 5100), there is no communication to any computer or module (PCM, ABS,
> Instrument Cluster, Airbag, etc...) possible. I checked all wires that
> relate to CAN, ISO and UBP communication. Everything checks out just
> fine. Even if I try to connoct to one module only (all others are
> disconnected), I can't access a single one. The next step in the
> diagnostic schedule (we are using Alldata) recommended replacing the
> PCM (ECU), which did not help. Now I will have to try with a new
> Instrument Cluster, it should arrive in a few days, but I don't think
> it will work out.
>
> Now, one thing keeps getting my attention. That is the blinking light
> for the anti theft system (PATS). The system does not allow the engine
> to start. Can a not working PATS shut down all communication to the
> other systems??? I doubt it, but maybe one of you Ford technicians can
> teach me wrong...?
>
> I would be happy for any advise, I'm running out of ideas here...
>
> Thanks,
> -Kai-

============
============

Have you checked that the ALDL is getting a Bat +
and a Neg feed??

would be my first step.......AFTER checking fuses on a
no communication.

IF......you're not getting the positive or ground signal at the
ALDL.........NOTHING will comunicate.
I've seen it many times.

anywhooooooo........
need to ck that first.

~:~
MarshMonster
~:~
Old January 13th 08, 02:25 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Marsh Monster

Default 2004 Explorer - no communication <<PING.......KAI.......addendum>>

On Jan 12, 8:22Â*pm, Marsh Monster > wrote:
> On Jan 7, 10:20�am, wrote:
>

> > Hi guys,

> > I have this 04 Explorer in the shop, that got struck by lightning. Now
> > the machine does not start. When I hook up my scanner (Snap On Mt
> > 5100), there is no communication to any computer or module (PCM, ABS,
> > Instrument Cluster, Airbag, etc...) possible. I checked all wires that
> > relate to CAN, ISO and UBP communication. Everything checks out just
> > fine. Even if I try to connoct to one module only (all others are
> > disconnected), I can't access a single one. The next step in the
> > diagnostic schedule (we are using Alldata) recommended replacing the
> > PCM (ECU), which did not help. Now I will have to try with a new
> > Instrument Cluster, it should arrive in a few days, but I don't think
> > it will work out.

> > Now, one thing keeps getting my attention. That is the blinking light
> > for the anti theft system (PATS). The system does not allow the engine
> > to start. Can a not working PATS shut down all communication to the
> > other systems??? I doubt it, but maybe one of you Ford technicians can
> > teach me wrong...?

> > I would be happy for any advise, I'm running out of ideas here...

> > Thanks,
> > -Kai-

> ============
> ============
>
> Have you checked that the ALDL is getting a Bat +
> and a Neg feed??
>
> would be my first step.......AFTER checking fuses on a
> no communication.
>
> IF......you're not getting the positive or ground signal at the
> ALDL.........NOTHING will comunicate.
> Â* Â*I've seen it many times.
>
> anywhooooooo........
> Â* Â*need to ck that first.
>
> ~:~
> MarshMonster

=============
=============
Kai,
another note on that.......

On the ones that I've come across, just straight wire the ground
or the positive lead at the wire AT the ALDL......don't cut the wires,
use a backprobe to feed the signal into it.

As stated before.......IF..you're not getting the signals at the
connector.

GL

~:~
MarshMonster
~:~
Old January 20th 08, 11:37 PM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Jan 7, 10:20 am, wrote:
> Hi guys,
>
> I have this 04 Explorer in the shop, that got struck by lightning. Now
> the machine does not start. When I hook up my scanner (Snap On Mt
> 5100), there is no communication to any computer or module (PCM, ABS,
> Instrument Cluster, Airbag, etc...) possible. I checked all wires that
> relate to CAN, ISO and UBP communication. Everything checks out just
> fine. Even if I try to connoct to one module only (all others are
> disconnected), I can't access a single one. The next step in the
> diagnostic schedule (we are using Alldata) recommended replacing the
> PCM (ECU), which did not help. Now I will have to try with a new
> Instrument Cluster, it should arrive in a few days, but I don't think
> it will work out.
>
> Now, one thing keeps getting my attention. That is the blinking light
> for the anti theft system (PATS). The system does not allow the engine
> to start. Can a not working PATS shut down all communication to the
> other systems??? I doubt it, but maybe one of you Ford technicians can
> teach me wrong...?
>
> I would be happy for any advise, I'm running out of ideas here...
>
> Thanks,
> -Kai-

Sorry for my late follow up. It turned out that my scanner can not
communicate with this vehicle, I don't know why. Two days looking for
something that doesn't exist... damned! The Ford dealer programmed the
new (used) PCM and the truck started. The ABS and traction light
didn't turn off, so we changed the ABS module as well.

Thanks for all the suggestions, I had tried pretty much all before.
However, I could finally convince my boss to take a couple thousand
bucks in his hand and buy a new scanner. I was worth all the
trouble

-Kai-
Old January 22nd 08, 07:04 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jan 20, 5:37*pm, wrote:
> On Jan 7, 10:20 am, wrote:
>

> > Hi guys,

> > I have this 04 Explorer in the shop, that got struck by lightning. Now
> > the machine does not start. When I hook up my scanner (Snap On Mt
> > 5100), there is no communication to any computer or module (PCM, ABS,
> > Instrument Cluster, Airbag, etc...) possible. I checked all wires that
> > relate to CAN, ISO and UBP communication. Everything checks out just
> > fine. Even if I try to connoct to one module only (all others are
> > disconnected), I can't access a single one. The next step in the
> > diagnostic schedule (we are using Alldata) recommended replacing the
> > PCM (ECU), which did not help. Now I will have to try with a new
> > Instrument Cluster, it should arrive in a few days, but I don't think
> > it will work out.

> > Now, one thing keeps getting my attention. That is the blinking light
> > for the anti theft system (PATS). The system does not allow the engine
> > to start. Can a not working PATS shut down all communication to the
> > other systems??? I doubt it, but maybe one of you Ford technicians can
> > teach me wrong...?

> > I would be happy for any advise, I'm running out of ideas here...

> > Thanks,
> > -Kai-

> Sorry for my late follow up. It turned out that my scanner can not
> communicate with this vehicle, I don't know why.

Because the 2004 Explorer uses the CAN protocol, and you are trying to
communicate with it using a Snap-On MT5100 (a tool which doesn't even
exist)

> Two days looking for
> something that doesn't exist...

Much like that scan tool.

> damned! The Ford dealer programmed the
> new (used) PCM and the truck started. The ABS and traction light
> didn't turn off, so we changed the ABS module as well.
>
> Thanks for all the suggestions, I had tried pretty much all before.
> However, I could finally convince my boss to take a couple thousand
> bucks in his hand and buy a new scanner. I was worth all the
> trouble

A few thousand would be minimum asking price for a new, modern, and
capable scanner.

Toyota MDT in MO
Old January 26th 08, 04:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
philthy[_1_]

if that is can how come my scanner can comm. with it and no can key plugged
in????

Old January 26th 08, 07:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Jan 26, 10:46*am, philthy > wrote:
> if that is can how come my scanner can comm. with it and no can key plugged
> in????

It seems that you are asking me a rhetorical question about your
scanner; one which you already know the answer. Help me out then, and
let me know what 'your scanner' is along with which vehicle the "it"
refers to. Also, what exactly is a 'can key' in this instance?

In the mean time, note that the OP expressed communication concerns
with the PCM and ABS modules (both 100% CAN), the IPC (uses CAN for
scanner communication), and the RCM (not CAN, but perhaps his outdated
and non-existent Snap On MT5100 wasn't capable of airbag comm anyway,
or it could have been a typo, or it could have been operator error,
etc...) Likely a PDS or IDS did the trick at the Ford dealer.

What the OP did wrong was to use substandard tooling to repair an
issue where existent and accurate info would have led him in the
correct direction (i.e. the capability to communicate with and
correctly program the replacement PCM). I have no doubt that he could
have performed the repair accurately and efficiently with correct
tooling.

Toyota MDT in MO