Full Synthetic Oil, worth it?

Old December 18th 04, 05:17 AM
Mike O'Malley

> wrote in message
> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:40:47 -0700, AZGuy > wrote:
>
>>On 9 Dec 2004 06:03:00 -0800, "VA_Tech_Hokies" >
>>wrote:
>>
>>>Full Synthetic Oil such as Red Line, Amsoil and Mobil 1 along with
>>>longer intervals between changes. What is the generial feeling on this?

<snip>

>>I don't recall the webpage but there was a guy who was running his own
>>oil and filter test and he was starting to see breakdown with regular
>>oil at around 8,000 miles and at around 15,000 for synthetic. He was
>>doing a mixed city/highway vehicle use. I've been using the 6000/6
>>and 12000/12 for several years in several vehicles and never had the
>>slightest problem. Where I work we run regular oil for 6000/6 and
>>it's worked fine for many years with many of the vehicles going past
>>250,000 miles and still running fine.

http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html

The guy's been sending out samples for analysis every 1000 miles. Looks
like he's done Mobil 1 and Amsoil so far.

> IMHO:
>
> As far as increasing the oil change intevals based on viscosity break
> down, with all premium oils I was told the weakest link is not the
> viscosity, but the additives. Like ph-buffers, anti-oxidents and anti
> emosifiers.

The interesting thing from this guy's limited study is that the additive
package is not been the deciding factor. On Mobil 1 the additives held
strong until 18,000 miles, the oil itself was getting rather "dirty" by
10,000 miles, but a filter change fixed that

<snip>

> Oh, btw the few bucks you saved with not changing your oil could wipe
> a bearing if a small flake of junk/rush blocks a tiny oil
> channel/port.

Personally, I've been running Mobil 1 at about 8000 miles between changes,
and after sending a few samples out, am comfortable with that. Why? I put
about 3000-4000 miles on my car a month, mostly highway. Changing the oil
every 3-4 weeks was getting real old, real fast. It may cost twice as much
per change, but if I can do half as many oil changes in a year it's worth it
to me.

--
Mike O'Malley

Old December 18th 04, 12:30 PM
Al Haunts

>Personally, I've been running Mobil 1 at about 8000 miles between changes,
>and after sending a few samples out, am comfortable with that. Why? I put
>about 3000-4000 miles on my car a month, mostly highway. Changing the oil
>every 3-4 weeks was getting real old, real fast. It may cost twice as much
>per change, but if I can do half as many oil changes in a year it's worth it
>to me.

That's similar to my view on Mobil1 vs regular oil. I change every
10,000 km (6,200 miles). Works out to 3 oil/filter changes a year.
50/50 mix of city/highway driving. Plus the improved cold cranking
with a real syntheitic is a bonus here this time of year.

Regards, Al.

Old December 19th 04, 03:53 AM

On Fri, 17 Dec 2004 23:17:26 -0600, "Mike O'Malley"
> wrote:

> wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 11 Dec 2004 09:40:47 -0700, AZGuy > wrote:

><snip>
>
>>>I don't recall the webpage but there was a guy who was running his own
>>>oil and filter test and he was starting to see breakdown with regular
>>>oil at around 8,000 miles and at around 15,000 for synthetic. He was
>>>doing a mixed city/highway vehicle use. I've been using the 6000/6
>>>and 12000/12 for several years in several vehicles and never had the
>>>slightest problem. Where I work we run regular oil for 6000/6 and
>>>it's worked fine for many years with many of the vehicles going past
>>>250,000 miles and still running fine.

>http://neptune.spacebears.com/cars/s.../oil-life.html
>
>The guy's been sending out samples for analysis every 1000 miles. Looks
>like he's done Mobil 1 and Amsoil so far.
>

>> IMHO:
>>
>> As far as increasing the oil change intevals based on viscosity break
>> down, with all premium oils I was told the weakest link is not the
>> viscosity, but the additives. Like ph-buffers, anti-oxidents and anti
>> emosifiers.
>>

>The interesting thing from this guy's limited study is that the additive
>package is not been the deciding factor. On Mobil 1 the additives held
>strong until 18,000 miles, the oil itself was getting rather "dirty" by
>10,000 miles, but a filter change fixed that
>
><snip>
>
>> Oh, btw the few bucks you saved with not changing your oil could wipe
>> a bearing if a small flake of junk/rush blocks a tiny oil
>> channel/port.
>>

>Personally, I've been running Mobil 1 at about 8000 miles between changes,
>and after sending a few samples out, am comfortable with that. Why? I put
>about 3000-4000 miles on my car a month, mostly highway. Changing the oil
>every 3-4 weeks was getting real old, real fast. It may cost twice as much
>per change, but if I can do half as many oil changes in a year it's worth it
>to me.

Sounds like you are doing the type of driving that works best for a
car's oil. Long and constant. Where I've heard the additives die out
fast, is short trips. Not long enough to get rid of water condensate.
This water mixes with the exhaust products forming an acide that
quickly eats away at your ph-buffers and then later the engines
protective oxide layer.

Might want to check with the car manufactures maintenance schedule,
you might find that regular dino oil might last you through those
higher mileage oil changing intevals.

later,

tom @ www.URLBee.com

Old December 19th 04, 09:23 PM
lcmon

Normal wear & tear will not show up just over night.
Full synthetic will keep the wear & tear down on extreme hot/cold
temperature driving conditions. It will benefit you if you going to keep
you car for many many years. But, if you are changing cars say every five
years,
dino will do a good job on scheduled oil change. In cold winter syn. oil
definitely will do much better job. Bare in mind syn oil still needs regular
oil change.

news

Old December 20th 04, 02:35 PM

http://tinyurl.com/6lv8s
Just about everything you'd want to know about synthetic.

Old December 24th 04, 05:57 AM
Grey-hound

My 86 300zx I got in 98 had 106k on it. Switched to Mobil-1 and K+N or
Mobil-1 oil filter and do an oil and filter change every 10-12K miles. Car
now has 214K miles on it. I add a qt every 1800 miles that it burns. Works
out fine due to it being a PITA changing filters on it (that's besides the
point).Other vehicle is a 98 Chrysler T&C 3.8 w/104K miles on it. After 75K
warranty same schedule as above.Been doin this type thing for a long time
and it works for me. Saves time and money.
Greyhound

oups.com...