using late style turn sig switch with early tail lights

Old December 9th 04, 07:58 AM

Default using late style turn sig switch with early tail lights

Hi,

Has anybody tackeled this combo of using early tail lights with single
2 fillement light bulb and later style turn signal switch (3 wire).
Watson-streetworks (http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.html) sells a
set up of 4 relays. but I cannot quite figure out how this set up would
work. Does anybody have an electrical diagram? I would imagine that I
would have to use 2 flashers as well.

-anton

Old December 9th 04, 09:02 AM
Red Bug

In article .com>,
wrote:

> Has anybody tackeled this combo of using early tail lights with single
> 2 fillement light bulb and later style turn signal switch (3 wire).
> Watson-streetworks (
http://www.watsons-streetworks.com/vw.html) sells a
> set up of 4 relays. but I cannot quite figure out how this set up would
> work. Does anybody have an electrical diagram? I would imagine that I
> would have to use 2 flashers as well.

Forget all that... get a 3 wire to 2 wire tail light converter meant for
running a plain jane trailer (same tail light setup as an old bug tail
light) from a vehicle that has a dedicated separate turn signal bulb
(which you have with your later style turn signal switch)... this is
basically what you are trying to do, I believe! REESE or HOPPY...

PICTURE OF UNIVERSAL KIT BY HOPPY:
<http://images.amazon.com/images/P/B0...RBF.PT01._SCLZ
ZZZZZZ_.jpg>

Amazon.com link to orderable item:

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...id=1102582662/
br=1-8/ref=br_lf_hi_8//103-7312681-3279817?v=glance&s=hi&n=12993161>

Any holiday camper / trailer dealership should stock something like
this... Also most auto parts stores, etc. It's a really common item, but
is perfect for this application.

--
___
|___| '61 - VW
Old December 9th 04, 04:58 PM

> Has anybody tackeled this combo of using early tail lights with

single
> 2 fillement light bulb and later style turn signal switch (3 wire).

Sure. But before spending any time on it you need to decide what you
want to have when you get done. The reasoning there stems from the
fact the single lamp tail-light fixture isn't even legal in most
countries. VOA squeaked it in under an archaic NJ rule for trucks;
even Volkswagen was a bit surprised that American regulations were so
lax. Other than exports to Third World countries... or the United
States... most Transporters had dual-lamp tail lights.

The point here is that you can simply add the second lamp, giving you a
brake circuit that is independent from the emergency/turn/tail-light
circuit.

If for some reason you are trying to emulate a failed 'brick' (ie, the
stock relay module), there were a couple of outfits here in southern
Cal who manufactured replacements when the originals starting going bad
in significant numbers (ie, late '60's). One of the mailing lists
specific to Type II's may be able to help you track one down although
nowadays the odds of it being any better than the original are
somewhere between slim & none.

The circuit itself is no mystery, at least not for anyone versed in
European automotive electrical-system logic, RPN and the joys of
marching in lock-step :-) It actual consists of THREE circuits, rather
than two. (Most folks overlook the Emergency Flasher.) Since those
little cube-type relays are so inexpensive (see All Electronics if
you're not familiar with current prices) you can whip up a clone of the
original for just a few bucks. You will also need a couple of husky
diodes... (no, not that husky... about 1A).

Basic idea is pretty simple: You have FOUR inputs: Brakes, Left Turn,
Right Turn and Emergency Flasher.

Brake picks the relay for the rear lamps and is isolated by a diode.
Turn picks the flasher and either the left or right PAIR of lamps, also
isolated by a diode. Emergency picks ALL... everything. And flashes,
too.

As electrical systems go the VW is kinda hokey but back then they
thought semiphores and a hot horn were good ideas, too. As a point of
interest, all modern-day vehicles tend to follow VW's early use of
relays. Relays are less expensive than a properly made switch and by
putting them adjacent to the load, they serve to reduce the amount of
heavy-gauge wiring needed in the chassis. (If that doesn't come
across, just look at the electrical starter.)

Wanna make it better? Replace the rear lamp fixture with a panel of 96
ultra-bright LED's... and the front turn sigs with a panel of
ultra-bright yellows. Uses less power and won't wear out before your
great-grandchildren give the thing to a museum.

Dig around. When the magazines rejected the article ('Big Red') I
posted it... somewhere. No interest, of course. Good lights does not
involve big tits, doesn't make your bus go any faster nor make any more
noise, absolute requirements for any article about old Volkswagens :-)
-Bob Hoover

Old December 10th 04, 10:18 PM

Hi,

Here is the full story why in the word I am want to get mismateched
components working together. about 6 months ago I bought a 64 bug
which was nicely customised but who ever did the work didn't follow
through and left things unfinished. One of the was electrical system,
my turn signals are my arms at the moment. My 64 is sporting nice
set of early tailights with one dual fillament bulb however those were
not original and they require use of early style 6 wire turn signal
switch. I wasn't about to spend $120 + on a new turn signal switch
since mine works OK but just isn't hoocked up. So instead I wanted to
do this with a set of relays. I mostly had it figured out except for
break canceling out turn and etc. After posting my original message I
indirectly found the schematics at
http://www.nls.net/mp/volks/htm/flashrly.htm (check out this site it
has a lot of very good tech info). The schematics mostly worked for me
except for the part that the relays depicted in the picture are dual
not single switching. This schematics work perfectly I just need to
hook up my turn signal wires instead of break.

Thank you all for replying

Anton

P.S. If anybody interested in schematics for 4 relay set up let me know
and I will post it somewhere.