Dodge caravan Metric Tools?

Old February 16th 08, 04:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Default Dodge caravan Metric Tools?

Comboverfish > wrote in news:ba725630-67c3-4f05-
:

> A good rule of thumb on domestic vehicles with mixed fasteners:
>
> The bolts or studs that thread directly into the heads and block will
> be standard, while all others will be metric.
>
> They are slowly phasing in new designs/castings to take the place of
> certain 30+ year old engines, so just be patient ;-)

According to an article I have in a British magazine...

In the 1950s, Ford of France sold the tooling for a particular vehicle
(called the "Vedette") to Simca. Simca then produced the car as the Simca
Vedette.

The article says the car was identical in all ways to the Ford
design...except that Simca converted every single fastener from Imperial to
Metric. I wonder what that cost?

--
Tegger

Old February 16th 08, 10:33 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Feb 16, 9:23*am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:

> It't not QUITE as bad as Whitworth threads... a 1/4-20 Whitworth bolt will
> fit into a 1/4-20NC nut but the 1/4-20NC bolt won't fit into a 1/4-20 Whitworth
> nut. *Or is it the other way around? *Legions of folks ruined MG engine blocks
> this way.

It would take so much less effort to simply let the MG blocks ruin
themselves...

Toyota MDT in MO
Old February 16th 08, 10:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Feb 16, 10:30*am, Tegger > wrote:

> According to an article I have in a British magazine...
>
> In the 1950s, Ford of France sold the tooling for a particular vehicle
> (called the "Vedette") to Simca. Simca then produced the car as the Simca
> Vedette.

Does that rhyme with "bidet"? I sure hope so.

> The article says the car was identical in all ways to the Ford
> design...except that Simca converted every single fastener from Imperial to
> Metric. I wonder what that cost?

Please kill me if I ever have to work on a French built, Ford designed
car.

Toyota MDT in MO

Old February 16th 08, 11:17 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Tegger

Comboverfish > wrote in
:

> On Feb 16, 10:30*am, Tegger > wrote:
>
>> According to an article I have in a British magazine...
>>
>> In the 1950s, Ford of France sold the tooling for a particular
>> vehicle (called the "Vedette") to Simca. Simca then produced the car
>> as the Simca Vedette.

> Does that rhyme with "bidet"? I sure hope so.

Sorry to burst your bubble, but it's pronounced vedd-ETT, like "Corvette".
I think it means "diplomat".

>> The article says the car was identical in all ways to the Ford
>> design...except that Simca converted every single fastener from
>> Imperial to Metric. I wonder what that cost?

> Please kill me if I ever have to work on a French built, Ford designed
> car.

Would you like to be beat to death with a Metric, SAE, AF or Whitworth
wrench?

--
Tegger

Old February 17th 08, 01:55 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I used to work at a factory that manufactured auto and big heavy 18
wheeler and lawn mower batteries and every six months or so, we
manufactured a few pallet loads of six volt old timey looking batteries
for old MG cars.
cuhulin

Old February 17th 08, 11:45 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

Yep, they were six volt batteries.One of the old cars I used to own in
the 1970s was a 1950 Ford six cylinder car, flat head engine with manual
shift transmission and overdrive.That was before I worked at the battery
factory, that old factory first opened up back around 1960 or 1961, I
think.The factory closed down about ten years ago, we were manufacturing
up to 14,000 batteries daily on two shifts.The factory ran five and a
half days each week, half a day on Saturdays.I went there and I bought
an eight volt battery for my 1950 Ford car.I had to adjust the regulator
with a pair of pliers so the eight volt battery could charge up
properly.That eight volt battery made the engine start up faster and the
head lights were brighter too.
cuhulin

Old February 19th 08, 12:57 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

Comboverfish > wrote:
>On Feb 16, 9:23=A0am, (Scott Dorsey) wrote:
>
>> It't not QUITE as bad as Whitworth threads... a 1/4-20 Whitworth bolt will=

>> fit into a 1/4-20NC nut but the 1/4-20NC bolt won't fit into a 1/4-20 Whit=

>worth
>> nut. =A0Or is it the other way around? =A0Legions of folks ruined MG engin=

>e blocks
>> this way.

>It would take so much less effort to simply let the MG blocks ruin
>themselves...

Some folks claim they come already pre-ruined from the factory. But honestly,
the oil loss is a feature. The oil leaking from every corner of the block
soon coats the underside of the car and prevents rust.
--scott

Old February 19th 08, 01:23 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Banned

I was watching Junkyard Wars on tv yesterday.The two teams each cobbled
up some vehicles for a paintball contest.One of the teams dug out an old
Range Rover.The rear end of the frame on that Range Rover was so rotten,
they could pick that rotten frame metal off with their fingernails.
cuhulin

Dodge PART 8, Car Diagnostic and Tunning equipment, Dashboard tools, Workshop manuals [email protected] Dodge 0 October 20th 07 08:40 PM
Metric Ignorance? Richard Chrysler 1 September 27th 06 06:03 PM
Metric fasteners Bob[_2_] Ford Explorer 1 August 24th 06 03:58 PM
What to do with metric rims? Michael Harvey BMW 14 September 7th 05 05:43 PM
Metric to English Ct Midnite BMW 19 May 6th 05 07:12 PM