I dont know why my mustang smokes

Old April 16th 07, 05:15 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
84_mustang_5.0

Default I dont know why my mustang smokes

Recently my 84 5.0 mustang has been pouring white smoke out of the
tail pipes. It starts and runs fine but it started smoking recently.
I noticed the smoke after driving it a couple days after I filled it
with premium gas. Also I think my car burns oil. I use 5W30 motor oil
and I was wondering if I should be using something different. I dont
know if the smoke is related to the oil or not. Thanks in advance for
your advice.

Old April 16th 07, 05:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

On Apr 15, 9:15 pm, "84_mustang_5.0" > wrote:
> Recently my 84 5.0 mustang has been pouring white smoke out of the
> tail pipes. It starts and runs fine but it started smoking recently.
> I noticed the smoke after driving it a couple days after I filled it
> with premium gas. Also I think my car burns oil. I use 5W30 motor oil
> and I was wondering if I should be using something different. I dont
> know if the smoke is related to the oil or not. Thanks in advance for
> your advice.

White smoke is usually a result of water. Have you checked your
coolant to see if you're losing it? You could have a leaking or blown
head gasket that is putting water into the combustion chamber. You
may want to check your oil to see if it's milky. That would be from
water getting into the oiling system, which could also be a symptom of
a blown head gasket.

Steve E.
72 Skylark Custom455

Old April 16th 07, 05:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
84_mustang_5.0

> White smoke is usually a result of water. Have you checked your
> coolant to see if you're losing it? You could have a leaking or blown
> head gasket that is putting water into the combustion chamber. You
> may want to check your oil to see if it's milky. That would be from
> water getting into the oiling system, which could also be a symptom of
> a blown head gasket.

When I checked my oil the dipstick did look a little milky. How hard
is it to replace my head gasket? Is it okay to drive my car the way it
is? Thanks for your advice

Old April 16th 07, 06:01 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Brent P[_1_]

In article . com>, 84_mustang_5.0 wrote:
'
> When I checked my oil the dipstick did look a little milky. How hard
> is it to replace my head gasket?

It's not a big deal on ford small block, but I've only done the tear-down
part to help a friend on a 289.

> Is it okay to drive my car the way it is?

Over the internet it's hard to say. It's not good to drive the car if it
is the head gasket, if it's minor enough all that will happen is the
engine gets steam cleaned inside the cylinder(s), if it's bad major
pieces break and take others with them.

Old April 16th 07, 06:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
A Guy Named Steve

On Apr 15, 9:42 pm, "84_mustang_5.0" > wrote:
> > White smoke is usually a result of water. Have you checked your
> > coolant to see if you're losing it? You could have a leaking or blown
> > head gasket that is putting water into the combustion chamber. You
> > may want to check your oil to see if it's milky. That would be from
> > water getting into the oiling system, which could also be a symptom of
> > a blown head gasket.

> When I checked my oil the dipstick did look a little milky. How hard
> is it to replace my head gasket? Is it okay to drive my car the way it
> is? Thanks for your advice

If you're getting water into your oil, then it will have an effect on
oil's primary job - lubricating the rotating parts. It could cause
internal engine damage eventually.

As far as being hard to do, it depends on what you can do. Here's an
article relative to the later fuel injected 5.0's:
http://www.mustangmonthly.com/howto/5892/
Yours may not be as bad since you don't have to worry about
depressurizing the fuel system, etc... You'll need to remove the
intake manifold and heads to do it though (and everything that
attaches to them).

Steve E.
72 Skylark Custom455

Old April 18th 07, 11:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Spike

On 15 Apr 2007 21:15:47 -0700, "84_mustang_5.0"
> wrote:

>Recently my 84 5.0 mustang has been pouring white smoke out of the
>tail pipes. It starts and runs fine but it started smoking recently.
>I noticed the smoke after driving it a couple days after I filled it
>with premium gas. Also I think my car burns oil. I use 5W30 motor oil
>and I was wondering if I should be using something different. I dont
>know if the smoke is related to the oil or not. Thanks in advance for
>your advice.

I wondered the same thing about my teenage daughter. Fortunately, she
gave it up when she got married.
Old April 19th 07, 06:34 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
Les Benn

blue smoke is oil, white is coolant. 5W30 should work in most cars.

news

Old April 19th 07, 06:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang
John[_12_]

"Les Benn" > wrote in message
> blue smoke is oil, white is coolant. 5W30 should work in most cars.

5 is the low end temperature wont "fix" his problem.