Estimated hours for minor fiberglass work - are you serious?!

Old November 2nd 04, 02:33 PM
Dad

"Barking Rats" > wrote in message
news
> In article >,
> "Key Bored" > wrote:
>
>> Back in the early 90s, I brought an 88 Vette to a Chevy bodyshop for an
>> estimate to repair a few paint scratches (about 3 inches long) on the
>> passenger door. There was no bodywork required--just painting. The
>> estimator came up with around $2400 and said he would need the car for
>> two
>> weeks. He said that they couldn't do a quick touchup job and would have
>> strip and repaint not only the door, but the entire side of the car to
>> ensure a good color match between the door and fenders. I didn't know
>> whether to laugh or cry. I bought a bottle of GM touchup paint (don't
>> laugh.....). I could still see where the scratches were, but at least I
>> didn't have to declare bankruptcy.

> I don't know how accurate the following belief is among body and paint
> shops but...
>
> While talking with a shop owner years back, he said that his people had
> to put in much more time, materials and skill when Corvettes came in vs.
> other cars because Corvette owners were extra nitpicky over absolutely
> every detail. Because of this personality trait, he billed accordingly
> reflecting that it was the best work his shop could produce.
>
> I'm pretty picky when it comes to detecting repairs, so maybe his m.o.
> was accurate to the breed.
> Here's waving to ya - \||||
>
> Owen

I think he was saying more about his billing practice than the shops I've
been around. If you don't do it right, on any job, why do it at all. There
is a right way to do plastic, a right way to do metal, and a right way to do
fiberglass, I'll take the fiberglass any day of the week. Picky owners drive
all brands of cars.

Find another shop.

--
Dad