carbed 87 Dodge Aries "K" car been sitting five years want to fix itup. is it tough to.........

Old March 8th 09, 06:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
stevegp

Default carbed 87 Dodge Aries "K" car been sitting five years want to fixit up. is it tough to.........

Tegger:

I am not sure what it came with originally.

Comboverfish,
What does Toyota MDT mean?

Thx for your help!!
I did have a second to peak up at the back of the tank yesterday, and
yes -- it has two removable items on the back and one is very likely
an in-tank fuel pump. Hopefully it is still working -- that will be
one of the first things I do when I have the time -- I'll disconnect
the fuel at the engine, see if it's already pressurized there, turn on
the ignition and see if there's an electric fuel pump running, etc.
Years back we had an old Aries wagon, and will pull that manual and
see if it matches the year -- if not I'll get one for this car.
Anyway, yeah I'd bet it's electric fuel pumping. I just need to get
the time -- I thank you again for your help.

Old March 22nd 09, 12:45 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Comboverfish

On Mar 6, 7:08*pm, Tegger > wrote:
> Comboverfish > wrote :
>

> > So.... "thanks" is an answer to why a 1987 Aries K has a carburetor?

> What did it originally come with? Throttle body injection?
>
> --
> Tegger

Sorry, I've been having Google Group issues. Yes, TBI in 1987 (at
least in the U.S.) DKDC about other country destination options :-)

Carb use ended with the 1985 models with both the 2.2 corporate engine
and the 2.6 Mitsubishi. In 1986 they TBI-ed the 2.2, added a 2.5
(TBI) version of the 2.2, and dropped the 2.6. This is true for the K
body, other FWD platforms vary slightly.

Toyota MDT in MO
Old March 26th 09, 12:13 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
stevegp

It's an 87 Aries with EFI. Sat for ~6 years. Tries to run when a
bit of fresh gas is poured directly into the throttle body. The plugs
were perfect / white.
I accessed the gas filter, to ease the job of draining the tank
of the ancient gas. Took off the hose going to the engine. Had
someone turn the ignition key to "Run": no fuel came out of the tank,
and no buzz/whir of the fuel pump. (Maybe the pump is jammed, or not
getting current.) I've heard folks say to bank the back of tank with
rubber mallet to unjam the pump -- maybe worth trying???
Next I think I'll de-pressure the injector at the T-B, by
jumping power to it for a few seconds --- in case the pump is not
energizing 'cause the brain thinks it already has adequate fuel
pressure. (Haines manual very short, but thats how they say to
depressurize...)
If no luck at that, I was gonna carefully jump power right to
the connector on the back of the tank (at the fuel pump access door),
to see if that gets the pump going.....
In the event the issue turns out to be the fuel pump: am not
sure I'll go to that hassle -- maybe get rid of it instead. Anyway:
kooking at the back of the tank: looks like I'd only have to drop the
tank an inch or two to get the pump out. Anyone know if the back of
tank can be dropped a few inches, rather than dropping the whole damn
thing??? (I know I'd have to disconnect the fill tube, etc...)
Thx for the thoughts!!!

Old March 26th 09, 01:54 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve[_1_]

Before you start jumpering around injectors and directly to the fuel
pump, its much easier to jumper around the auto-shutdown relay and the
fuel pump relay (temporarily) to see if that gets things going. My bet
is a DOA pump from sitting immersed in decomposing gasoline for 6 years,
though.

Dropping a fuel tank isn't a big deal, unless its full.

Old March 29th 09, 09:56 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
stevegp

thx so much Steve. I'll use the book to find out where those relays
are..