Flushing radiator?

Old October 18th 05, 08:06 PM
Clark Friedrichs

Default Flushing radiator?

I have an '03, and according to the owners manual, it's time to flush and
refill the radiator.
The dealer wants $120 and Oil Express wants $70. Is there anything I should
know that would help me decide who I want to do the job? For various
reasons I'm not doing it myself.

Thanks

-----
Clark Friedrichs /

Old October 19th 05, 01:38 AM
Chuck

You are getting close to the price of a good used radiator!
Using chemicals to clean out the cooling system may damage the heater core.
The same is true of an over ambitious pressure test.

Old October 19th 05, 04:41 AM
Chas Hurst

I think the owners manual is refering to flushing (with water) out the old
coolant and replacing it. Not chemically cleaning.
The car is only 2 years old.
The common name for this task would be"change the anti-freeze".

Old October 19th 05, 06:47 PM
Zog The Undeniable

Chas Hurst wrote:

> I think the owners manual is refering to flushing (with water) out the old
> coolant and replacing it. Not chemically cleaning.
> The car is only 2 years old.
> The common name for this task would be"change the anti-freeze".

Question: if you flush the system with clean water, does the heater
matrix drain? If not, the new coolant will be diluted because of the
water held up in the matrix.
Old October 19th 05, 07:20 PM
Chas Hurst

"Zog The Undeniable" > wrote in message
> Chas Hurst wrote:
>
> > I think the owners manual is refering to flushing (with water) out the

old
> > coolant and replacing it. Not chemically cleaning.
> > The car is only 2 years old.
> > The common name for this task would be"change the anti-freeze".

> Question: if you flush the system with clean water, does the heater
> matrix drain? If not, the new coolant will be diluted because of the
> water held up in the matrix.

I have no idea if the heater will drain. Plan on it not draining and don't
fill the system completely.
After the engine is run to mix the new anti-freeze check the freezing point
and adjust as needed.

Old October 24th 05, 03:43 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
Alley > wrote:

> Are you not supposed to flush a cooling system while running the heater
> on high?

On a Miata, it doesn't matter. It's a full-flow system, and coolant
cannot be prevented from circulating through the heater core without a
major hose reroute.

---
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis

radiator (?) woes [email protected] Jeep 6 March 10th 05 01:59 AM
96 Nissan Sentra... Would this kind of radiator hose cause overheating? Al Kondo Technology 1 January 12th 05 10:56 PM
Flushing Radiator kindashort Saturn 10 July 20th 04 01:29 PM
Radiator Flush?? Curley Dodge 10 April 27th 04 05:21 PM