Online Racing Games

Old October 24th 06, 10:46 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Justin[_3_]

Default Online Racing Games

Hi.. Been playing a bit of TOCA 3 lately and loving it.

I've been considering GTR2 but am a little scared that my driving
skills might not be up to it. Having read that there's a Touring car
version in the works I'm also concerned that the online community, if
it has one, might get diluted when its released.

What other PC driving/racing are worth learning and which, in
particular, have the best/friendly/helpful/easiest to get into online
racing community?

All the best...

Old October 24th 06, 02:16 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

Justin wrote:
> Hi.. Been playing a bit of TOCA 3 lately and loving it.
>
> I've been considering GTR2 but am a little scared that my driving
> skills might not be up to it. Having read that there's a Touring car
> version in the works I'm also concerned that the online community, if
> it has one, might get diluted when its released.
>
> What other PC driving/racing are worth learning and which, in
> particular, have the best/friendly/helpful/easiest to get into online
> racing community?
>
> All the best...

My 2 favorites are GTR2 and rFactor, but for ease-of-getting-started,
you might also consider Live for Speed (LFS). It does have a demo that
allows online racing, and it's quite easy to get up and running. The
downside is that it has mostly fantasy cars and tracks - and some don't
like the engine sounds and driving physics (ok... by some I might be
refering to me )

Since you've been considering GTR2, also take a look at GT Legends
(GTL). It's pretty much the same as GTR2, but with older cars.

rFactor has great netcode (somewhat better than GTR2/GTL), so online
racing can be great. But rFactor takes a bit of setup, as most of the
content is user-created "mods" and tracks, so you'll want to get and
install those before venturing online with rFactor. The upside is that
rFactor allows for a tremendous variety in the types of racing
available (from Karts to Nascar to F1 and everything in-between. The
downside is the fragmentation that all that content creates (can be
difficutly to find online races that are running your mod of
choice...).

You may also want to try NetKar pro. It's an online only sim (no ai to
practice with offline), but some like its hard-core sim attitude (even
have to start-up your car correctly), and it has arguably the most
accurate physics of any of the sims. The downside to NetKar Pro is a
relatively few number of cars and tracks to drive, lack of ai to
practice with offline, and up to now a general lack of suport from the
developer (that is rumored to be changing).

Good luck and let us know if you have any specific questions on any of
these sims.

Old October 24th 06, 03:43 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

The "dilution" factor is an issue with rFactor but I like having the
choices and it argueably has the best net-code since Papyrus's Nascar
series. No matter what you like to drive, from Karts to F1 and
everything in between (even Nascar!) there is a mod out there and a
ka-zillion tracks.

I *think* GTR2 and GTL are not open to mods and as such, will be less
"diluted". I have GTL and think it's a Hoot and have tried it online a
couple times with good results.

I feel your pain as far as skill level. I just never seem to have the
time to master any one sim, mostly because i'm sim-addicted and buy
most of them.. maybe we can start a "We suck league" that just has fun
and doesn't sweat the small stuff.. like Lap times.. LOL

GP

Old October 24th 06, 04:13 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

GaryP wrote:
> The "dilution" factor is an issue with rFactor but I like having the
> choices and it argueably has the best net-code since Papyrus's Nascar
> series. No matter what you like to drive, from Karts to F1 and
> everything in between (even Nascar!) there is a mod out there and a
> ka-zillion tracks.
>
> I *think* GTR2 and GTL are not open to mods and as such, will be less
> "diluted". I have GTL and think it's a Hoot and have tried it online a
> couple times with good results.
>
> I feel your pain as far as skill level. I just never seem to have the
> time to master any one sim, mostly because i'm sim-addicted and buy
> most of them.. maybe we can start a "We suck league" that just has fun
> and doesn't sweat the small stuff.. like Lap times.. LOL
>
> GP

I'm with ya on the idea for the "We suck league"! I'm pretty sure I'd
be a back marker even in that league...

Old October 24th 06, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A[_1_]

We tried and it was called RASCAR.

We suck leagues rarely work as driver excuses are way too many. Gee, Im
really sorry I wrecked you the past 3 races in a row I didnt have time to
practice.... etc etc...

A better idea would be to attach a drivers bank account where/when drivers
bonehead moves cost them actual cash which is then dispersed to the
wreckeee's

Without any consequences we end up with what we have now. A great idea
without the possibility of success. It gets even worse when a prize is
involved.

Mitch

Old October 25th 06, 01:36 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mike King

Is a great bunch of guys that just like to race. I raced with them for a
while and never had any problems, and I definately sucked. They run GPL and
rFactor.

GaryP > wrote in
:

Old October 25th 06, 03:10 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Larry[_1_]

Don't know about you, Mitch, but RASCAR was the most fun I ever had.

-Larry

. com...

Old October 25th 06, 03:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Justin[_3_]

Thanks all for the online racing heads-up.

I have GT Legends on order from Amazon and hope it will arrive before
the weekend.

My last few outings with TOCA3 online have been in the British GT class
trying to master the awful VX220. I have thrown in the towel and
consigned the VX to the scrapheap but was enjoying the challenge of
trying to keep it on the grey stuff. Everyone else races Morgans' in
this class which, I'm told, are easier to drive and faster so long as
you keep away from the kerbs.

The videos I've seen of GT Legends look great. I just hope my aged PC
is up to the task as all upgrades are on hold until 1st Quarter 2007
(ArmA release date)

Old October 25th 06, 03:57 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
GaryP

Be sure to go here for add-on tracks. You also will want to know the
trick to unlock all the cars/tracks in the game, unless you want to
trudge through and complete all the challenges yourself to get them..
i'll skip that cheat until you ask.

http://www.no-grip.net/index.php?categoryid=2&subcat=34

GP

Old October 25th 06, 04:31 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Mitch_A

You must lead one sad life if RASCAR was the "most fun you ever had" No
wonder your biggest concern in life is Starforce, rotflmao...

The potential for real fun was there but it never fully materialized due in
large part to the "we suck" wreckers like Fredrickson.

Mitch