1966 Mustang Convertable, 289 Ponie Series with Factory Air

Old October 13th 05, 05:21 PM
Jboyd4

Default 1966 Mustang Convertable, 289 Ponie Series with Factory Air

I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone know
what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and
want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering
column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a
"factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"?
Joe

Old October 13th 05, 05:51 PM

The problem with any customization at resale time is that you've got to
find a buyer with the same tastes as you. My take is that it won't be
difficult to find someone who likes the pearl paint and tan interior,
but it might be with respect to a glossy white pearl dash.

If this were a K code car, I would recommend restoring it to its
original colors, or selling it and buying a C or A code. That's
because a K code vert with AC is at the top of the food chain for
'66's, and can actually be worth more than the costs of restoration. A
C or A code on the other hand, are not in that league. So the market
value hit you take when you customize is not as severe.

On the third hand, it's your car, do what you want. If you intend to
keep it for 5 or more years, who cares about market value? The market
will catch up with you eventually, regardless of what you do.

180 Out

Old October 13th 05, 05:51 PM
Ritz

Jboyd4 wrote:
> I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone know
> what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and
> want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering
> column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a
> "factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"?
> Joe

Wasn't it "wimbledon white" in 1966? Not sure where to tell if any
Mustangs with your specific codes were painted in that colour though.

Cheers,
Old October 13th 05, 07:57 PM
Jboyd4

180 Out - Thanks for your input. How do I Know if it is a "K" code???

Old October 13th 05, 08:50 PM

It's in your VIN. Check your title or registration or on the data tag
riveted to the driver's door. (The problem with the data tag is that
doors get dented and replaced.) It's also on the inner fenders, but
hidden.

Anyway, it's 11 digits. The first digit will be a 6, indicating 1966
model year. The second will be one of three letters, indicating the
assembly plant. (F = Dearborn, R = San Jose, T = Metuchen N.J.) The
third and fourth are numbers indicating body style, which for a
convertible will be 08.

The 5th digit is the engine code. K = 289 ci 271 hp 4-bbl solid cam.
A = 289 ci 225 hp 4-bbl, hydraulic cam. C = 289 ci 200 hp 2-bbl. T =
six cylinder. It's this engine code that makes a '66 V8 a "K code," an
"A code," or a "C code."

The last six digits are the car's serial number. Each plant had its
own sequence, starting with 100001.

180 Out

Old October 13th 05, 09:33 PM
Spike

On Thu, 13 Oct 2005 12:21:52 -0400, "Jboyd4" > wrote:

>I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone know
>what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and
>want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering
>column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a
>"factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"?
>Joe

If you Google to Tom Schmidt's Mustang Page, you will find links to
the information you seek, including visual displays of the colors, and
on one link they have Mustangs photographed with the correct colors.
What colors did your vin code say it was originally? If you are
restoring to original, I believe you will find the correct color is
Wimbledon White not pearl white. You can find a listing of the codes
in several of the Mustang parts catalogs, and there are a couple of
decoder links on the aforementioned web page.
Spike
Vintage Burgundy w/Black Standard Interior; Vintage 40
16" rims w/BF Goodrich Comp T/A gForce Radial
225/50ZR16 KDWS skins; surround sound audio-video.
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/003_May_21_3004.jpg
Feb 2004 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/005_May_21_2004.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/d..._11_05_002.jpg
Jul 2005 - http://207.36.208.198/albums/86810/E...ebuild_006.jpg
Old October 14th 05, 10:00 PM
Big Al

"Jboyd4" > wrote in message
lkaboutautos.com...
>I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone know
> what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and
> want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering
> column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a
> "factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"?
> Joe

Question: Many years ago I had a Mustang convertible, must have been a 65 or
66. It had a Cobra on the brake pedal and in the center of the steering
wheel. Was a 289, 2 barrel, three speed on the floor. The exhausts exited
under the bumper, and had lovers on them. It was red with a white top and
white interior. What was it?

Al

Old October 16th 05, 03:11 AM
Spike

On Fri, 14 Oct 2005 14:00:24 -0700, "Big Al" >
wrote:

>"Jboyd4" > wrote in message
alkaboutautos.com...
>>I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone know
>> what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and
>> want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering
>> column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a
>> "factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"?
>> Joe
>>

>Question: Many years ago I had a Mustang convertible, must have been a 65 or
>66. It had a Cobra on the brake pedal and in the center of the steering
>wheel. Was a 289, 2 barrel, three speed on the floor. The exhausts exited
>under the bumper, and had lovers on them. It was red with a white top and
>white interior. What was it?
>
>Al

Sounds like a Shelby, but you never know unless you can check the vin.
Even many years ago people were getting the parts to make their cars
look like what they weren't. Strange that it has a 2V if it was a
Shelby, unless it was retro fitted. I had a 72 Mustang with something
like a 428 or 429 and FMX according to the vin. Still had the FMX but
under the hood was a 302 2V. One fender indicated that it had been
replaced. So, was the front totaled out and when they rebuilt it did
they save money by dropping in the 302? Or did they blow the motor and
replace it with a 302 to save a few bucks?
Old January 26th 06, 11:58 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Lovers????!!! ... I'm guessing Louvers!!

Would be interesting???

Old January 27th 06, 01:13 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.ford.mustang

Shayne wrote:
> Lovers????!!! ... I'm guessing Louvers!!
>
> Would be interesting???
>

> "Big Al" > wrote in message
>> "Jboyd4" > wrote in message
>> lkaboutautos.com...
>>> I know there were only a few of these made and i have one. Does anyone
>>> know
>>> what the factory colors were for this model. I am totally restoring and
>>> want to go with a pearl white exterior (including dash and steering
>>> column)with a tan top and tan interior. Is this a taboo if it isn't a
>>> "factory color" and will that affect my "finished value"?
>>> Joe
>>>

>> Question: Many years ago I had a Mustang convertible, must have been a 65
>> or 66. It had a Cobra on the brake pedal and in the center of the steering
>> wheel. Was a 289, 2 barrel, three speed on the floor. The exhausts exited
>> under the bumper, and had lovers on them. It was red with a white top and
>> white interior. What was it?

If you want it to be white, the "factory" white for '66 was "Wimbledon
White". If it wasn't originally that color, it will affect the value to
a collector, but if you're going to be driving it rather than keeping it
as a trailer queen you might as well just paint it the color you want.

Cheers,