Hurricane, gas in car, none in generator. What to do?

Old July 10th 07, 01:58 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BoyntonStu

Default Hurricane, gas in car, none in generator. What to do?

How the heck do you get the gas from a car these days?

Can't siphon, too many restrictions.

Is there a drain plug in the bottom of the gas tank?

If so, how about a valve replacement?

Or, a way to place a 'T' in the gas line and use the fuel pump to pump
it out?

Looking for a solution for this vexing problem.

In Florida and hurricane season is not far off.

Have you solved this problem?

Old July 10th 07, 02:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
C. E. White[_1_]

Why not just get a small suction pump?

See
http://www.heartlandamerica.com/brow...48043&DL=GAW1&

Ed

ups.com...

Old July 10th 07, 04:43 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Don Bruder

In article <46938bac@kcnews01>,
"C. E. White" > wrote:

> Why not just get a small suction pump?

The problem these days isn't so much "getting the fuel out of the tank"
as "getting the hose INTO the tank so you *CAN* get the fuel out" - So
many anti-siphoning things are in place nowdays that getting the end of
the hose close enough to the gas in the tank to pump/siphon/otherwise
get it out is close to impossible.

Which, on the one hand, is a good thing, since it keeps the gas-raiders
from emptying your tank on the sly, but on the other hand, is a severe
pain in the backside for anyone who has a legitimate reason to siphon or
otherwise get it out.

Personally, if I needed to get the gas out of my car's tank, I'd pop the
fuel line off the carb - a simple "squeeze ring" type connection on this
car - stick an extension of some sort on it, and turn on the ignition
(without starting the engine) to run the in-tank fuel pump until my
container was full.

Trying to siphon out of the tank would be all but impossible due to the
car having been made at pretty much the absolute peak of the anti-siphon
hardware additions - First the little spring-loaded flap-thingy over the
hole, then further down the pipe, the "anti-hose" spring widget, then at
the bottom of the pipe, a 180 degree bend, and at the bottom of that,
just before the fill-pipe enters the tank, a fairly stout chunk of metal
grill-work that NO hose over 1/8 inch is going to get through.

With all the "fun" in the fill-pipe, I'd call this car PRETTY MUCH
siphon-proof...

(Which just means that a determined gas thief is going to bring an oil
drain pan and a screwdriver, and punch a hole in the bottom of the gas
tank...)

ever knowing it arrived. Sorry... <http://www.sonic.net/~dakidd> for more info
Old July 10th 07, 05:03 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
hls

"BoyntonStu" > wrote in message
> Have you solved this problem?

We went down this topic some time back. A permanently mounted valve
or such is, IMO, not too wise. Yes, it has been done, and can be done,
but in that one in a million chance that you might get a leak and blow
yourself
up, it is not a risk I feel like taking.

We get enough advanced warning of storms nowadays that it doesnt take
much planning to fill up an approved gasoline storage can. I know, there
are hazards inherent with this as well.

Old July 11th 07, 01:20 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
PauL

BoyntonStu wrote:

> How the heck do you get the gas from a car these days?
>
> Can't siphon, too many restrictions.
>
> Is there a drain plug in the bottom of the gas tank?
>
> If so, how about a valve replacement?
>
> Or, a way to place a 'T' in the gas line and use the fuel pump to pump
> it out?
>
> Looking for a solution for this vexing problem.
>
> In Florida and hurricane season is not far off.
>
> Have you solved this problem?

Filling a couple of 5 gallon gallon gas cans at the local
fillery seems a much simpler solution.
Old July 17th 07, 05:08 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Paul Hovnanian P.E.

Don Bruder wrote:

> In article <46938bac@kcnews01>,
> "C. E. White" > wrote:
>
> > Why not just get a small suction pump?

> The problem these days isn't so much "getting the fuel out of the tank"
> as "getting the hose INTO the tank so you *CAN* get the fuel out" - So
> many anti-siphoning things are in place nowdays that getting the end of
> the hose close enough to the gas in the tank to pump/siphon/otherwise
> get it out is close to impossible.
>
> Which, on the one hand, is a good thing, since it keeps the gas-raiders
> from emptying your tank on the sly, but on the other hand, is a severe
> pain in the backside for anyone who has a legitimate reason to siphon or
> otherwise get it out.
>
> Personally, if I needed to get the gas out of my car's tank, I'd pop the
> fuel line off the carb - a simple "squeeze ring" type connection on this
> car - stick an extension of some sort on it, and turn on the ignition
> (without starting the engine) to run the in-tank fuel pump until my
> container was full.
>
> Trying to siphon out of the tank would be all but impossible due to the
> car having been made at pretty much the absolute peak of the anti-siphon
> hardware additions - First the little spring-loaded flap-thingy over the
> hole, then further down the pipe, the "anti-hose" spring widget, then at
> the bottom of the pipe, a 180 degree bend, and at the bottom of that,
> just before the fill-pipe enters the tank, a fairly stout chunk of metal
> grill-work that NO hose over 1/8 inch is going to get through.
>
> With all the "fun" in the fill-pipe, I'd call this car PRETTY MUCH
> siphon-proof...
>
> (Which just means that a determined gas thief is going to bring an oil
> drain pan and a screwdriver, and punch a hole in the bottom of the gas
> tank...)

The conscientious ones avoid making a mess. When they have filled their
bucket, they avoid letting the remaining gas run into the storm drains
by throwing a match under the car.

--
Paul Hovnanian
I like long walks, especially when they are taken by people
Old July 18th 07, 03:16 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
John S.

On Jul 10, 8:58 am, BoyntonStu > wrote:
> How the heck do you get the gas from a car these days?
>
> Can't siphon, too many restrictions.
>
> Is there a drain plug in the bottom of the gas tank?
>
> If so, how about a valve replacement?
>
> Or, a way to place a 'T' in the gas line and use the fuel pump to pump
> it out?
>
> Looking for a solution for this vexing problem.
>
> In Florida and hurricane season is not far off.
>
> Have you solved this problem?

Since you will need transportation after the storm and gas stations
will likely be closed, draining your car to run a generator seems
rather shortsighted. If fuel is a concern just store 15 or 20 gallons
of gas at the house.

Old July 27th 07, 12:52 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
BoyntonStu

On Jul 17, 10:16 pm, "John S." > wrote:
> On Jul 10, 8:58 am, BoyntonStu > wrote:
>

> > How the heck do you get the gas from a car these days?

> > Can't siphon, too many restrictions.

> > Is there a drain plug in the bottom of the gas tank?

> > If so, how about a valve replacement?

> > Or, a way to place a 'T' in the gas line and use the fuel pump to pump
> > it out?

> > Looking for a solution for this vexing problem.

> > In Florida and hurricane season is not far off.

> > Have you solved this problem?

> Since you will need transportation after the storm and gas stations
> will likely be closed, draining your car to run a generator seems
> rather shortsighted. If fuel is a concern just store 15 or 20 gallons
> of gas at the house.

OK I've used 20 gallons and the electricity is still off.

I have 2 cars and both gas tanks are filled.

The gas stations are closed.

No what?

generator q. A Veteran VW air cooled 4 July 3rd 07 08:38 AM
Lucas c40 generator substitute (yes generator - ancient!) jj Technology 3 October 1st 06 04:07 PM
Hurricane 575 John A Anderson Ford Mustang 1 April 12th 05 12:46 AM
Hurricane advice Dad Corvette 4 September 24th 04 03:31 AM