Larger screen gaming??

Old June 3rd 05, 09:04 PM

I've got a NEC LT-150Z (DLP 1024x768 native) that looks pretty good at
85". If you vid card is stout, you can turn on some AA and smooth out
the jaggies pretty nice on most stuff. You can find these and others
of the same generation of projectors (ca 2002) for less than an grand.
You can find newer low-end models for around $1500. The size
definitely rocks.

The problem with projectors is the layout. You've got to have the
space behind you. You have to have a nice flat white surface to
project it on. You have to mount the thing securely, but in a manner
that accomodates adjusting the location of the projected image. And
then you've got to concern yourself with getting the signal from your
vid card to the proj without having cabling running somewhere where you
can trip over it. And unless your projector is very bright (and I
would say, even if it is), you will want some kind of light control in
the room or the image will look way washed out, especially compared to
the CRT you have now. Dont forget to budget for replacement bulbs,
which are not exactly cheap.

If you can solve all these problems, I think a projector is the way to
go.

Good luck,
Gerald

Old June 3rd 05, 11:26 PM

optoma 757, 2300 lumen dlp, screen is sheer white bedsheet over flat
black back panel, gives good contrast and blacks even in daylight.