Need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch - HF has a sale - advice?

Old October 27th 17, 10:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
harry newton

Default Need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch - HF has a sale - advice?

I need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch.
How heavy is a W59 Toyota Tacoma transmission anyway?

I this 800# jack (on sale until the end of the month) good enough?
<https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html>

Does the 33% cheaper scissor-jack have any merit over the pan type above?
<https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html>

I'm going to replace the clutch, but I have never done a clutch before.
I'm familiar with most repairs though, and I have all the required tools.

I will work out of my garage, where I will put the vehicle on four 6-ton
jack stands (the garage floor is reasonably level) as high as I can get it.
<https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html>

I am just asking for advice comparing the two types of transmission jacks.
Old October 28th 17, 03:24 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:52:57 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
> wrote:

>I need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch.
>How heavy is a W59 Toyota Tacoma transmission anyway?
>
>I this 800# jack (on sale until the end of the month) good enough?
><https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html>
>
>Does the 33% cheaper scissor-jack have any merit over the pan type above?
><https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html>
>
>I'm going to replace the clutch, but I have never done a clutch before.
>I'm familiar with most repairs though, and I have all the required tools.
>
>I will work out of my garage, where I will put the vehicle on four 6-ton
>jack stands (the garage floor is reasonably level) as high as I can get it.
><https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html>
>
>I am just asking for advice comparing the two types of transmission jacks.

Definitely more than adequate. Not pro quality, but all of the
required features.
Old October 28th 17, 03:46 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Kevin Bottorff[_3_]

wrote in
:

https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ion-jack-69685.
>>html>
>>
>>Does the 33% cheaper scissor-jack have any merit over the pan type
>>above?
>><https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ion-jack-61232.
>>html>
>>
>>I'm going to replace the clutch, but I have never done a clutch
>>before. I'm familiar with most repairs though, and I have all the
>>required tools.
>>
>>I will work out of my garage, where I will put the vehicle on four
>>6-ton jack stands (the garage floor is reasonably level) as high as I
>>can get it.
>><https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html>
>>
>>I am just asking for advice comparing the two types of transmission
>>jacks.

> Definitely more than adequate. Not pro quality, but all of the
> required features.

for a one time deal either one will do the job. KB
Old October 28th 17, 04:20 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Paul in Houston TX[_2_]

harry newton wrote:
> He who is said on Fri, 27 Oct 2017 22:24:56 -0400:
>
>>> I am just asking for advice comparing the two types of transmission jacks.

>> Definitely more than adequate. Not pro quality, but all of the
>> required features

> Thanks. I'll pick up the hydraulic jack for $160 before the end of the
> month sale goes off. It's cheap compared to the job itself.
>
> I'm debating whether I should rebuild or replace the master cylinder and
> slave clutch release cylinder.
>
> Toyota prices are the following but I have no experience with rebuilding or
> replacing them.
> Master cylinder repair kit $30
> Master cylinder $117
> Slave cylinder repair kit $13
> Slave cylinder $50
>
> At those prices, which would you go for (rebuild or the whole thing)?
>
> Here are the hydraulic parts:
> <https://partsfactory.camelbacktoyota.com/auto-parts/1997/toyota/4runner/base-trim/2-7l-l4-gas-engine/clutch-cat/hydraulic-system-scat>

IMO, get the hydraulic trans jack. You will find it a lot easier to
adjust the height every few minutes while putting the trans back in.
The screw one does not appear to have angle adjustments.
You will need that. It is critical.
The trans weight will be around 115 lbs. More with the front drive box attached.
Don't bother trying to rebuild them yourself.
If they are pitted then the usual cylinder honing will not fix them and they
will leak. Get the already rebuilt cylinder kits, or new.

Old October 28th 17, 04:52 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech

On Sat, 28 Oct 2017 02:46:18 +0000 (UTC), Kevin Bottorff
> wrote:

wrote in
:

>> On Fri, 27 Oct 2017 21:52:57 +0000 (UTC), harry newton
>> > wrote:
>>
>>>I need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch.
>>>How heavy is a W59 Toyota Tacoma transmission anyway?
>>>
>>>I this 800# jack (on sale until the end of the month) good enough?
>>><https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb...ion-jack-69685.
>>>html>
>>>
>>>Does the 33% cheaper scissor-jack have any merit over the pan type
>>>above?
>>><https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb...ion-jack-61232.
>>>html>
>>>
>>>I'm going to replace the clutch, but I have never done a clutch
>>>before. I'm familiar with most repairs though, and I have all the
>>>required tools.
>>>
>>>I will work out of my garage, where I will put the vehicle on four
>>>6-ton jack stands (the garage floor is reasonably level) as high as I
>>>can get it.
>>><https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html>
>>>
>>>I am just asking for advice comparing the two types of transmission
>>>jacks.

>> Definitely more than adequate. Not pro quality, but all of the
>> required features.
>>

>for a one time deal either one will do the job. KB

If it does not have tilt capability the job will be a lot more
difficult - whether done once or a dozen times. The hydraulic one
definitely has the tilt features required.
Old October 28th 17, 04:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Ed Pawlowski

On 10/27/2017 11:11 PM, harry newton wrote:

> I'm debating whether I should rebuild or replace the master cylinder and
> slave clutch release cylinder.
>
> Toyota prices are the following but I have no experience with rebuilding or
> replacing them.
> Master cylinder repair kit $30
> Master cylinder $117
> Slave cylinder repair kit $13
> Slave cylinder $50
>
> At those prices, which would you go for (rebuild or the whole thing)?

Did you look for rebuilt ones? They would be priced in the middle and
are done under good conditions. Check you local parts store for
availability.

There are plenty of YouTube vids on how to rebuild them too.
Old October 28th 17, 05:39 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

harry newton wrote:
> I need to buy a transmission jack for a Tacoma clutch.
> How heavy is a W59 Toyota Tacoma transmission anyway?
>
> I this 800# jack (on sale until the end of the month) good enough?
> <https://www.harborfreight.com/800-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-69685.html>
>
> Does the 33% cheaper scissor-jack have any merit over the pan type above?
> <https://www.harborfreight.com/450-lb-low-lift-transmission-jack-61232.html>
>
> I'm going to replace the clutch, but I have never done a clutch before.
> I'm familiar with most repairs though, and I have all the required tools.
>
> I will work out of my garage, where I will put the vehicle on four 6-ton
> jack stands (the garage floor is reasonably level) as high as I can get it.
> <https://www.harborfreight.com/6-ton-jack-stand-set-38847.html>
>
> I am just asking for advice comparing the two types of transmission jacks.

Before you buy a jack for one time use, call the local parts stores that
have loan a tool programs. Many have trans jacks. Will cost you the
price of the jack but when you return it in the same shape you get your
money back.

--
Steve W.