New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

Old January 2nd 16, 02:09 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

Default New California Driving Laws take effect January 1st, 2016

AB 208, Bigelow. Vehicles: highway: lane use.

Existing law (2015) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is
unsafe due to specified reasons, *a slow-moving vehicle* behind
which 5 or more vehicles are formed in a line to turn off the roadway
at the nearest place designed as a turnout or wherever sufficient
area of a safe turnout exists in order to permit the vehicles
following it to proceed.

This bill (2016) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is
unsafe due to specified reasons, *any vehicle* proceeding upon
the highway at a speed less than the *normal speed of traffic*
moving in the same direction at that time, behind which 5 or more
vehicles are formed in line, to turn off the roadway at the
nearest place designated as a turnout or wherever sufficient area
for a safe turnout exists.

"slow moving" vs "any vehicle at less than normal speed"
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB208

Old January 2nd 16, 02:12 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

This relates to anyone pulled over where the cellphone is confiscated.

This year, the California Electronic Communications Privacy Act goes
into effect. CalECPA requires police to get a warrant before searching
your electronic devices. It will be up to a judge to decide if police
have probable cause to access your devices, location information and
search history.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160SB178
Old January 2nd 16, 02:16 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

Hoverboard legislation starts January 1st, 2016.

AB 604 defines a hoverboard as an "electrically motorized board"
which means riders must be 16 or older and wear a helmet while riding.

The law also restricts use to specially designated bikeways or highways,
which means hoverboards are no longer legal in public places.

Full text:
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB604

Old January 2nd 16, 02:26 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

California law enforcement is expanding the already much
abused Amber Alert program (DON'T FLUSH TOILETS WHILE DRIVING!)
with a few new typically Californian wacko variations in 2016
(just like the already wacko five legally binding colors for curbs)

The first idiotic new alert is a 'Yellow Alert' which will go
out on highway message boards with hit-and-run suspect vehicle
descriptions.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201320140AB47

The second idiotic new alert is a "Silver Alert', which will
go out on highway message boards when a person 65 or older
is missing.
https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB643

Upcoming for next year ... White Alerts - warning when children
don't brush their teeth or boys don't wash behind their ears!
Old January 2nd 16, 02:31 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

Another new crime!

It's already illegal for car drivers, but if you're on a bicycle,
it's now illegal to use a headset, earplugs or earbuds in both
ears while operating your bicycle.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160SB491
It's in there - buried deep down within the wholly unrelated crap.

(11) Existing law prohibits a person operating a motor vehicle or a
bicycle from wearing a headset covering both ears, or from wearing earplugs
in both ears, subject to certain exceptions.

This bill would also prohibit wearing earphones covering, resting on,
or inserted in, both ears. Because a violation of these provisions would
be a crime, this bill would impose a state-mandated local program.

Old January 2nd 16, 02:36 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

The always wacko state of California had to make a (temporary) law
so as to NOT charge tolls for pedestrians on bridges!

AB 40 keeps toll bridges free for pedestrians and bicyclists
but only until 2021, so hurry up!

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB40

Old January 2nd 16, 02:42 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Mark Bannon

Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.

Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
must also pass a driving test.

A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.

DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
years.

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

Old January 2nd 16, 02:52 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
AMuzi

On 1/2/2016 8:42 AM, Mark Bannon wrote:
> Just to prove that the state is filled with wackos, starting
> January 1st, 2016, California DMV offices will begin issuing
> driver's licenses to people in the country *illegally*.
>
> Under AB 60, applicants must prove who they are, that they
> live in California and, surprisingly for California, they
> must also pass a driving test.
>
> A new law will also provide access to auto insurance.
>
> DMV officials say they expect about 1.4 million *illegal*
> cheaters to apply for a driver's license in the first three
> years.
>
> https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...=201520160AB60

The last time I had "access to auto insurance" it was $300
cash or certified check, in person at their offices, for a
30 day policy. Wonder what these guys will pay, if anything..

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old January 2nd 16, 03:01 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Colonel Edmund J. Burke[_2_]

On 1/2/2016 6:09 AM, Mark Bannon wrote:
> AB 208, Bigelow. Vehicles: highway: lane use.
>
> Existing law (2015) requires, on a 2-lane highway where passing is
> unsafe due to specified reasons, *a slow-moving vehicle* behind
> which 5 or more vehicles are formed in a line to turn off the roadway
> at the nearest place designed as a turnout or wherever sufficient
> area of a safe turnout exists in order to permit the vehicles
> following it to proceed.

Turnouts?
LOL. You provincial snot!

Old January 2nd 16, 03:12 PM posted to ca.driving,rec.autos.tech,alt.home.repair
Eagle[_2_]

It happens that Mark Bannon formulated :
> Hoverboard legislation starts January 1st, 2016.
>
> AB 604 defines a hoverboard as an "electrically motorized board"
> which means riders must be 16 or older and wear a helmet while riding.
>
> The law also restricts use to specially designated bikeways or highways,
> which means hoverboards are no longer legal in public places.
>
> Full text:
> https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/f...201520160AB604

"Hoverboard"? Like the ones used in 'Back To The Future part 2'?