Timing Chain Or Belt

Old July 28th 14, 03:26 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MLD

Default Timing Chain Or Belt

Have a 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS, 6 cyl. At the moment can't locate the
owner's manual. Have been trying to find out if the car has a timing chain
or a belt. Looking around, I've read many conflicting answers re-Chain or
Belt and replacement mileage; 60,000 vs 90,000. Also, have not read
anything with respect to "Time", for example, my Honda is 70,000 mi or 7
years for the timing belt.
Anyone got some solid information or a link that has answers.
MLD

Old July 28th 14, 04:12 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-07-28, MLD > wrote:
> Have a 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS, 6 cyl. At the moment can't locate the
> owner's manual. Have been trying to find out if the car has a timing chain
> or a belt. Looking around, I've read many conflicting answers re-Chain or
> Belt and replacement mileage; 60,000 vs 90,000. Also, have not read
> anything with respect to "Time", for example, my Honda is 70,000 mi or 7
> years for the timing belt.
> Anyone got some solid information or a link that has answers.
> MLD

Goto a parts website that has a decent catalog, look up make, model,
year, engine, and see if the parts catalog shows a belt or a chain.
Rock auto's set up is probably easiest to use for this purpose.

Old July 28th 14, 06:14 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Steve W.[_6_]

MLD wrote:
> Have a 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS, 6 cyl. At the moment can't locate the
> owner's manual. Have been trying to find out if the car has a timing chain
> or a belt. Looking around, I've read many conflicting answers re-Chain or
> Belt and replacement mileage; 60,000 vs 90,000. Also, have not read
> anything with respect to "Time", for example, my Honda is 70,000 mi or 7
> years for the timing belt.
> Anyone got some solid information or a link that has answers.
> MLD

3 chains. One long main chain and one on each head.

--
Steve W.
Old July 28th 14, 06:30 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MLD

"Steve W." > wrote in message
> MLD wrote:
>> Have a 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS, 6 cyl. At the moment can't locate the
>> owner's manual. Have been trying to find out if the car has a timing
>> chain or a belt. Looking around, I've read many conflicting answers
>> re-Chain or Belt and replacement mileage; 60,000 vs 90,000. Also, have
>> not read anything with respect to "Time", for example, my Honda is 70,000
>> mi or 7 years for the timing belt.
>> Anyone got some solid information or a link that has answers.
>> MLD
>>

> 3 chains. One long main chain and one on each head.
>
> --
> Steve W.

Thanks for the reply. Did finally locate the maintenance book. Not a word
relative to a timing belt--obviously, because the engine doesn't have one.
MLD

Old July 28th 14, 06:39 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
MLD

"Brent" > wrote in message
> On 2014-07-28, MLD > wrote:
>> Have a 2008 Toyota Avalon XLS, 6 cyl. At the moment can't locate the
>> owner's manual. Have been trying to find out if the car has a timing
>> chain
>> or a belt. Looking around, I've read many conflicting answers re-Chain
>> or
>> Belt and replacement mileage; 60,000 vs 90,000. Also, have not read
>> anything with respect to "Time", for example, my Honda is 70,000 mi or 7
>> years for the timing belt.
>> Anyone got some solid information or a link that has answers.
>> MLD
>>

> Goto a parts website that has a decent catalog, look up make, model,
> year, engine, and see if the parts catalog shows a belt or a chain.
> Rock auto's set up is probably easiest to use for this purpose.

Took your suggestion--went to "PartsGeek.com" and searched "timing chain"
and got a picture which confirms another reply to my question--three
chains-one big, two small ones.
MLD

Timing belt/chain - 95 XLT Jacob Ford Explorer 1 April 19th 05 04:22 PM
timing belt/chain Firebird Jeep 8 April 5th 05 07:53 PM
timing belt or chain Kimberly Jones BMW 2 February 8th 05 10:25 PM
Saturn SL1 1998 - Timing chain or Timing belt ? CD Saturn 1 November 3rd 04 12:47 AM
Saturn SL1 1998 - Timing Chain or Timing Belt? CD Saturn 0 November 3rd 04 12:35 AM