406 Twin Turbo

Old January 27th 13, 10:31 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

Default 406 Twin Turbo

The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt who
was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it was a
406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him anything
about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone could
drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp at 5800
rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison although I
have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like that.
Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet newsgroup

Old January 27th 13, 10:58 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"tww1491" > wrote in message
> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF
> Capt who was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He
> claimed it was a 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did
> not ask him anything about power although I opined the car was far
> faster than anyone could drive. Research on the WEB indicates this
> engine produces 1200 hp at 5800 rpm and is a daily driver. True?
> My S2000 pales in comparison although I have to wonder where in the
> heck you could drive something like that. Probably "old hat" to Dad
> and the rest of you on this rather quiet newsgroup

Not old hat to me, just a well equipped C6 has more balls than I do. I
ran what was called D-Gas from 1962 till '65 and learned in that short
time that the horse power race would never be won on a working man's
wages. Have not touched an engine to make it "better' since then.
$$$$$$$s equal bragging rights for 2 days to a week and then you start
over.

It takes mega money to be "In it to win it,' but then stupidity helps.

Old January 28th 13, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Dad" wrote in message news

"tww1491" > wrote in message
> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt
> who was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it
> was a 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him
> anything about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone
> could drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp
> at 5800 rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison
> although I have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like
> that. Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet
> newsgroup

Not old hat to me, just a well equipped C6 has more balls than I do. I
ran what was called D-Gas from 1962 till '65 and learned in that short
time that the horse power race would never be won on a working man's
wages. Have not touched an engine to make it "better' since then.
$$$$$$$s equal bragging rights for 2 days to a week and then you start
over.

It takes mega money to be "In it to win it,' but then stupidity helps.

A good friend of mine back in the late 60s had a 66 Vette roadster with a
highly modified 427 stuck in it. The g forces under full acceleration would
pin you to the seat. He claimed around 600 hp -- and when I drove it -- it
scared the "hell" out of me when the front end got very light at around 100
or so. I had a stock 69 350/300 hp roadster 4 speed with power nothing &
no a/c then. Back then I could not see the need for a/c with a roadster
even in TExas.

Old January 28th 13, 02:40 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

tww1491 wrote:

> "Dad" wrote in message news >
>
> "tww1491" > wrote in message
>> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF
>> Capt who was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He
>> claimed it was a 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did
>> not ask him anything about power although I opined the car was far
>> faster than anyone could drive. Research on the WEB indicates this
>> engine produces 1200 hp at 5800 rpm and is a daily driver. True? My
>> S2000 pales in comparison although I have to wonder where in the heck
>> you could drive something like that. Probably "old hat" to Dad and the
>> rest of you on this rather quiet newsgroup

> Not old hat to me, just a well equipped C6 has more balls than I do. I
> ran what was called D-Gas from 1962 till '65 and learned in that short
> time that the horse power race would never be won on a working man's
> wages. Have not touched an engine to make it "better' since then.
> $$$$$$$s equal bragging rights for 2 days to a week and then you start
> over.
>
> It takes mega money to be "In it to win it,' but then stupidity helps.
>
> A good friend of mine back in the late 60s had a 66 Vette roadster with
> a highly modified 427 stuck in it. The g forces under full acceleration
> would pin you to the seat. He claimed around 600 hp -- and when I drove
> it -- it scared the "hell" out of me when the front end got very light
> at around 100 or so. I had a stock 69 350/300 hp roadster 4 speed with
> power nothing & no a/c then. Back then I could not see the need for a/c
> with a roadster even in TExas.

....funny...I've always had AC but never used it...until I lived in south
Texas.

--
- Rufus
Old January 28th 13, 08:10 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Rufus" > wrote in message
> tww1491 wrote:
>>

>> "Dad" wrote in message
>> news >>
>>
>> "tww1491" > wrote in message
>>> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young
>>> USAF
>>> Capt who was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He
>>> claimed it was a 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I
>>> did
>>> not ask him anything about power although I opined the car was far
>>> faster than anyone could drive. Research on the WEB indicates
>>> this
>>> engine produces 1200 hp at 5800 rpm and is a daily driver. True?
>>> My
>>> S2000 pales in comparison although I have to wonder where in the
>>> heck
>>> you could drive something like that. Probably "old hat" to Dad and
>>> the
>>> rest of you on this rather quiet newsgroup

>> Not old hat to me, just a well equipped C6 has more balls than I
>> do. I
>> ran what was called D-Gas from 1962 till '65 and learned in that
>> short
>> time that the horse power race would never be won on a working
>> man's
>> wages. Have not touched an engine to make it "better' since then.
>> $$$$$$$s equal bragging rights for 2 days to a week and then you
>> start
>> over.
>>
>> It takes mega money to be "In it to win it,' but then stupidity
>> helps.
>>
>> A good friend of mine back in the late 60s had a 66 Vette roadster
>> with
>> a highly modified 427 stuck in it. The g forces under full
>> acceleration
>> would pin you to the seat. He claimed around 600 hp -- and when I
>> drove
>> it -- it scared the "hell" out of me when the front end got very
>> light
>> at around 100 or so. I had a stock 69 350/300 hp roadster 4 speed
>> with
>> power nothing & no a/c then. Back then I could not see the need
>> for a/c
>> with a roadster even in TExas.
>>

> ...funny...I've always had AC but never used it...until I lived in
> south Texas.
>
> --
> - Rufus

The old C2s I drove would get light about that figure to undesirable
at 110. The C3 is only a bit more forgiving but never seemed as stable
at the C2. The C5 and C6 are a whole new ball game as they tend to
suck down and will bottom out at plus 140. When that happens you know
you're way past guiding it for a split second or two. Lets not even go
there on the C4 flexible flyer.

Never got into the big block as it was easy to turn 11.41 (my best
runs) in the quarter with a 301 CID in a 2300 pound car.
http://www.hilborninjection.com/ Even in that car you wouldn't move
out of your seat until the blood returned to your brain. Back then we
didn't race the Corvette, most of the time it was a gutted old '50s
coupe or a '55 150 2dr. Way to easy to snap a half shaft universal and
rack up some major damage.

Old January 28th 13, 09:36 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:

> "Rufus" > wrote in message
>> tww1491 wrote:
>>>

>>> "Dad" wrote in message
>>> news >>>

>>> Not old hat to me, just a well equipped C6 has more balls than I do. I
>>> ran what was called D-Gas from 1962 till '65 and learned in that short
>>> time that the horse power race would never be won on a working man's
>>> wages. Have not touched an engine to make it "better' since then.
>>> $$$$$$$s equal bragging rights for 2 days to a week and then you start
>>> over.
>>>
>>> It takes mega money to be "In it to win it,' but then stupidity helps.
>>>
>>> A good friend of mine back in the late 60s had a 66 Vette roadster with
>>> a highly modified 427 stuck in it. The g forces under full acceleration
>>> would pin you to the seat. He claimed around 600 hp -- and when I drove
>>> it -- it scared the "hell" out of me when the front end got very light
>>> at around 100 or so. I had a stock 69 350/300 hp roadster 4 speed with
>>> power nothing & no a/c then. Back then I could not see the need for a/c
>>> with a roadster even in TExas.
>>>

>> ...funny...I've always had AC but never used it...until I lived in
>> south Texas.
>>
>> --
>> - Rufus
>>

> The old C2s I drove would get light about that figure to undesirable at
> 110. The C3 is only a bit more forgiving but never seemed as stable at
> the C2. The C5 and C6 are a whole new ball game as they tend to suck
> down and will bottom out at plus 140. When that happens you know you're
> way past guiding it for a split second or two. Lets not even go there on
> the C4 flexible flyer.
>
> Never got into the big block as it was easy to turn 11.41 (my best runs)
> in the quarter with a 301 CID in a 2300 pound car.
> http://www.hilborninjection.com/ Even in that car you wouldn't move out
> of your seat until the blood returned to your brain. Back then we didn't
> race the Corvette, most of the time it was a gutted old '50s coupe or a
> '55 150 2dr. Way to easy to snap a half shaft universal and rack up some
> major damage.

....I've had my C4 out to around 125+ and it's seemed solid enough for as
long as I wanted to stay there...which admittedly isn't long. It's a
Z-51 C4, though.

--
- Rufus
Old February 3rd 13, 02:18 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette

On Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:31:19 PM UTC-6, tww1491 wrote:
> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt who
>
> was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it was a
>
> 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him anything
>
> about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone could
>
> drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp at 5800
>
> rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison although I
>
> have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like that.
>
> Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet newsgroup

Lots of people do that to their C5/C6 Vette if they have the money to do so.. I think alot of it has to do with ego and bragging rights by having insane amounts of hp and tq. Such a vette would be ideal for the drag strip so long as it had a cage , or, for short bursts of acceleration merging onto the Interstate . For speeds in upwards of 140 mph which this vette is capable of, youd need a safe off-road place like an airport or a long deserted road that is in good shape , relatively straight , with Spotters to make sure no one else is around. In short, they are good for the 'wow' factor as at car shows, etc... but they arent too terribly practical . If tuned well, they make fine around town cars with few problems arising if any. I wouldnt mind borrowing something like that for a couple hours just to experience the acceleration..but thats about it.
Old February 3rd 13, 03:15 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_2_]

> wrote in message
On Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:31:19 PM UTC-6, tww1491 wrote:
> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt
> who
>
> was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it was a
>
> 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him anything
>
> about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone could
>
> drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp at 5800
>
> rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison although I
>
> have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like that.
>
> Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet
> newsgroup

Lots of people do that to their C5/C6 Vette if they have the money to do so.
I think alot of it has to do with ego and bragging rights by having insane
amounts of hp and tq. Such a vette would be ideal for the drag strip so
long as it had a cage , or, for short bursts of acceleration merging onto
the Interstate . For speeds in upwards of 140 mph which this vette is
capable of, youd need a safe off-road place like an airport or a long
deserted road that is in good shape , relatively straight , with Spotters
to make sure no one else is around. In short, they are good for the 'wow'
factor as at car shows, etc... but they arent too terribly practical . If
tuned well, they make fine around town cars with few problems arising if
any. I wouldnt mind borrowing something like that for a couple hours just
to experience the acceleration..but thats about it.

Tell us what "lot of people" equates to in numbers. Would 10/15 out of say
30,000 be lots of people to you? Even at the car shows I see very few if any
that pump out that kind of HP. As I told you before I have friends that have
7 second cars and few if any drive them on the street, well, one does but
he's driven that type of car all his driving life. My nephew drives a 502
CID double shot '66 Impala from the trailer to the strip and a few times up
and down the side road by his house in the country but has little or no
reason to be getting onto an Interstate.

Old February 4th 13, 12:56 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Rufus

Dad wrote:
> > wrote in message
> On Sunday, January 27, 2013 3:31:19 PM UTC-6, tww1491 wrote:
>> The other day when I was out in my S2000, I ran across a young USAF Capt
>> who
>>
>> was driving what seemed to be a unique Corvette (c5). He claimed it was a
>>
>> 406 twin turbo. Certainly sounded the part. I did not ask him anything
>>
>> about power although I opined the car was far faster than anyone could
>>
>> drive. Research on the WEB indicates this engine produces 1200 hp at 5800
>>
>> rpm and is a daily driver. True? My S2000 pales in comparison although I
>>
>> have to wonder where in the heck you could drive something like that.
>>
>> Probably "old hat" to Dad and the rest of you on this rather quiet
>> newsgroup

> Lots of people do that to their C5/C6 Vette if they have the money to do so.
> I think alot of it has to do with ego and bragging rights by having insane
> amounts of hp and tq. Such a vette would be ideal for the drag strip so
> long as it had a cage , or, for short bursts of acceleration merging onto
> the Interstate . For speeds in upwards of 140 mph which this vette is
> capable of, youd need a safe off-road place like an airport or a long
> deserted road that is in good shape , relatively straight , with Spotters
> to make sure no one else is around. In short, they are good for the 'wow'
> factor as at car shows, etc... but they arent too terribly practical . If
> tuned well, they make fine around town cars with few problems arising if
> any. I wouldnt mind borrowing something like that for a couple hours just
> to experience the acceleration..but thats about it.
>

> Tell us what "lot of people" equates to in numbers. Would 10/15 out of say
> 30,000 be lots of people to you? Even at the car shows I see very few if any
> that pump out that kind of HP. As I told you before I have friends that have
> 7 second cars and few if any drive them on the street, well, one does but
> he's driven that type of car all his driving life. My nephew drives a 502
> CID double shot '66 Impala from the trailer to the strip and a few times up
> and down the side road by his house in the country but has little or no
> reason to be getting onto an Interstate.

I think it depends on where you live and how much highway you have to
speed on between destinations - out here in the wide open states (CA,
NV, AZ, UT, west TX, MT, etc.) I see lots of folks hopping up cars for
daily freeway driving all the time...it's just a hobby. My officemates
son just bought seriously vicious older vintage Camaro that he commutes
in between here and V-ville.

Heading through Death Valley wide open for Vegas is a weekend
sport...and I passed a passle of streetable Vettes heading home from a
track day at Willow Springs just yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't see
anything lake that back east where I've lived in the past, and certainly
not at this time of year...

....then again, I've also been stuck on the 405 in my Z06 sitting next to
Maseratis and Ferraris all doing 25 mph for hours/miles.

--
- Rufus
Old February 4th 13, 02:17 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
tww1491

"Rufus" wrote in message ...

Dad wrote:
> [...]

> reason to be getting onto an Interstate.

I think it depends on where you live and how much highway you have to
speed on between destinations - out here in the wide open states (CA,
NV, AZ, UT, west TX, MT, etc.) I see lots of folks hopping up cars for
daily freeway driving all the time...it's just a hobby. My officemates
son just bought seriously vicious older vintage Camaro that he commutes
in between here and V-ville.

Heading through Death Valley wide open for Vegas is a weekend
sport...and I passed a passle of streetable Vettes heading home from a
track day at Willow Springs just yesterday afternoon. Wouldn't see
anything lake that back east where I've lived in the past, and certainly
not at this time of year...

....then again, I've also been stuck on the 405 in my Z06 sitting next to
Maseratis and Ferraris all doing 25 mph for hours/miles.

I guess I really don't understand. My 2.2 ltr 240 hp S 2000 tops out at
around 150 and is a decent performer by most standards. I have run 130 on
I16 once and that was enough. Must be ego to want 1200 hp and 200 mph.
The 454 C3 I had years ago would run hot at 130, but even then the top end
on that with 3.05 rear (I think that was what it was) was about 140. I
guess at 71 I am slowing down.