84 / c4 queston

Old July 27th 06, 03:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

Default 84 / c4 queston

"Crabs" > wrote in message
. ..
> > Dad,
>> was Tom talking about two different tops ? my 84 has only
>> one top.
>> Does my single top require a seal attached to the top
>> itself ?
>>

> 'Key:
> My car has two tops, one bronze tinted clear glass and one
> solid fiberglass top painted to match the body.
>
> Mine use the 4 torx head bolts to mount to the roof, two
> mounted vertically in front underneath the sun visors and
> two in the back oriented horizontally.
> I don't know if mine leaks water as it's never been, and
> probably never will be driven in the rain.
> I've never noticed any air noise coming from the
> windshield area, even at Warp 125. Someday, I'll find a
> LONG stretch of road and I'll let you know if there's wind
> noise at Warp 180+. 8-)
>
> TomC
> '90ZR1 #792

yea, my 84 sounds like the same type set up as yours.
although I only have one top
(solid fiberglass top painted to match the body"

--
"Key"
=====

Old July 27th 06, 03:03 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
PJ

'Key wrote:
> "Crabs" > wrote in message
> . ..
>> > Dad,
>>> was Tom talking about two different tops ? my 84 has only
>>> one top.
>>> Does my single top require a seal attached to the top
>>> itself ?
>>>

>> 'Key:
>> My car has two tops, one bronze tinted clear glass and one
>> solid fiberglass top painted to match the body.
>>
>> Mine use the 4 torx head bolts to mount to the roof, two
>> mounted vertically in front underneath the sun visors and
>> two in the back oriented horizontally.
>> I don't know if mine leaks water as it's never been, and
>> probably never will be driven in the rain.
>> I've never noticed any air noise coming from the
>> windshield area, even at Warp 125. Someday, I'll find a
>> LONG stretch of road and I'll let you know if there's wind
>> noise at Warp 180+. 8-)
>>
>> TomC
>> '90ZR1 #792

> yea, my 84 sounds like the same type set up as yours.
> although I only have one top
> (solid fiberglass top painted to match the body"

Guys, remember that the frame and body attachment pieces changed around
'87, give or take a year. Appearance is much the same but early tops
can't be used on later bodies without swapping some body parts.

'84 and '90 are different in minor details.

--
PJ
'89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe
Old July 27th 06, 04:22 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

Default 84 / c4 question - update

From what I looked at last night on the C4 and assuming that your top fit
correctly before the windshield change, it has to be in the way the new glass
and seals were bedded. Sorry, but like I said before after 2 new windshields and
2 new seals it fit as new with no leaks, air or water when mine was replaced. It
leaked so bad on the first go around you could have thrown Walt's cat through
the crack.

Sam didn't look as good as some of the camp followers did. ;-)

--
Dad
05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51

Old August 1st 06, 01:30 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"PJ" > wrote in message
> 'Key wrote:
>> "Crabs" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>>>
>>> 'Key:
>>> My car has two tops, one bronze tinted clear glass and
>>> one solid fiberglass top painted to match the body.
>>>
>>> Mine use the 4 torx head bolts to mount to the roof, two
>>> mounted vertically in front underneath the sun visors
>>> and two in the back oriented horizontally.
>>> I don't know if mine leaks water as it's never been, and
>>> probably never will be driven in the rain.
>>> I've never noticed any air noise coming from the
>>> windshield area, even at Warp 125. Someday, I'll find a
>>> LONG stretch of road and I'll let you know if there's
>>> wind noise at Warp 180+. 8-)
>>>
>>> TomC
>>> '90ZR1 #792

>> yea, my 84 sounds like the same type set up as yours.
>> although I only have one top
>> (solid fiberglass top painted to match the body"
>>

> Guys, remember that the frame and body attachment pieces
> changed around '87, give or take a year. Appearance is
> much the same but early tops can't be used on later bodies
> without swapping some body parts.
>
> '84 and '90 are different in minor details.
>
> --
> PJ
> '89 Hookercar '02 e-blu coupe

Thanks for the clarification "PJ"
would have responded sooner,
but have been out of town..

Do you have any helpful comments on my problem ?
g'day
--
"Key"
=====

Old August 1st 06, 01:37 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
'Key

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .
> From what I looked at last night on the C4 and assuming
> that your top fit correctly before the windshield change,
> it has to be in the way the new glass and seals were
> bedded. Sorry, but like I said before after 2 new
> windshields and 2 new seals it fit as new with no leaks,
> air or water when mine was replaced. It leaked so bad on
> the first go around you could have thrown Walt's cat
> through the crack.
>
> Sam didn't look as good as some of the camp followers did.
> ;-)
>
> --
> Dad
> 05 C6 Silver/Red 6spd Z51
> 72 Shark Black/Black/4spd

Well, I had the problem before I replaced the windshield.
That's why I tried replacing it.
I am wondering if maybe the corners are being pulled down
too tightly ?
Thinking of trying to put a couple of thin washers on the
corners and see if that will drop the bow from the center a
little and not be too loose on the corners.
I really believe that the windshield was put in correctly
the second time.
although, I do not know if maybe they put the top on before
it was through setting up.

Thanks for all your help Dad
--
"Key"