What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 6th 17, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could dobut have never done?

Xeno wrote:
> On 6/11/2017 9:13 AM, wrote:
>> On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 19:56:38 +1100, Xeno >
>> wrote:

>>> I have Toyotas precisely because they have a chain.

>> Some do, some don't. (perhaps today they all do - not sure)
>>

> The ones I buy sure do! ;-)

Chains don't mean a lot when they drop them down to bicycle sizes with
small pins. Things stretch like cheap rope.

--
Steve W.
Old November 6th 17, 02:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 14:11:23 +0000, RS Wood wrote:

> Xeno wrote:
>
>> I have Toyotas precisely because they have a chain.

> I have to agree with you that if I knew a vehicle had a belt, and
> especially if it was an interference engine, for me, that car would be
> nearly worthless.

Chains are hardly ideal. Chains wear. The wear changes the pitch
between the links and the links no longer quite fit on the sprockets. It
turns into a self reinforcing cycle. More wear = worse fit, worse fit =
accelerated wear. Eventually the poorly fitting chain will jump one or
more teeth on the crank gear or start breaking the teeth on the cam gear.

The other effect of chain wear is retarded cam timing. The more worn
links between the crank and cam, the more the camshaft timing gets
retarded. I changed timing sets on conventional OHV engines and that
usually advanced the ignition timing from 5 to 10 degrees, suggesting
that chain wear had retarded the timing by that amount.

It wasn't only the changes in point gap that was changing the ignition
timing on these old cars.

It's no surprise that fiberglass/rubber timing belts ended up being used
on most OHC engines.

Could be modern chains are better engineered than the old ones. I can't
say.

But I still prefer belts. Even on a tight package like a Dodge Neon with
the 4 speed auto, the replacement isn't too bad, once you know the
routine.

> Just like FWD cars and tricked-out cars are, to me, nearly worthless.

I love front wheel drive, especially in the snow.

Old November 6th 17, 02:27 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 04:38:39 +0000, RS Wood wrote:

> Interesting that it's not better design of engines.

Alot of the old motors used to have hot spots, such as exhaust ports and
the manifold heat riser on V type engines, which would coke up the oil
quickly. This coked up oil would plug up oil passages and an old motor
could be partially starved for oil even if it was full of clean, clear
oil.

The heat riser could be designed out of EFI engines.

10W 40 would coke up faster than 10W 30, for what it's worth.

Old November 6th 17, 02:45 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Frank

On Sun, 05 Nov 2017 14:33:43 +0000, RS Wood wrote:

> I'm with you on the exhaust.
> It's a non-maintenance part nowadays.
> But we *all* had to deal with exhaust in the days of yore.
>
> So kudos to the EPA for forcing stainless steel into the mix!

Give the leaded gas ban credit for longer lasting exhaust systems, too.
Leaded gas contained some nasty stuff to eat away lead and lead oxide
deposits and that nasty stuff would also chew away at exhaust systems,
spark plugs and engine components.

Old November 6th 17, 03:08 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:19:28 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>> It's also that but in order to understand the improvements you would
>> need to delve into the books on automotive engine design such as this
>> one I have in my library here;
>>
>> http://www.springer.com/la/book/9783211377628

>It's interesting we all universally feel engines last longer, but I wonder
>if it's not that the *car* lasts longer.
>
>For example, tires last longer.
>Ball joints and u-joints and wheel bearings last longer.
>The body last longer.
>The exhaust lasts longer.
>
>What doesn't last longer on a car nowadays?

Sometimes things like power lock actuators and some electrical
connections
Old November 6th 17, 03:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:21:22 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>> The removal of the carburetor meant that the sump wasn't being
>> contaminated by fuel wash from incomplete combustion when the engine is
>> cold. The much finer fuel spray from injectors ensured reliable cold
>> start and improved warmup time.
>> Positive crankcase ventilation removed any acidic components and
>> prevented carbon buildup in the oil.

>Those are interesting advantages of EFI which a
>a. Less gasoline dilution of cylinder walls
>b. Less contamination of the oil
>
>So, fundamentally, people seem to be saying that carburetors contaminated
>everything more than does EFI, which reduced the life of the engine.

Correct
Old November 6th 17, 03:10 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:23:33 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>> GDI makes it almost an order of magnitude better
>>> again.
>>>

>> Bzzztt. GDI has brought the scourge of carbon buildup back.

>Googling for what you mean by "GDI"...
><https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gasoline_direct_injection>
>
>Pros and cons of gasoline direct injection...
><https://www.consumerreports.org/cro/news/2015/02/pros-and-cons-of-direct-injection-engines/index.htm>
>
>What's so great about gasoline direct injection anyway?
><https://www.cnet.com/roadshow/news/whats-so-great-about-direct-injection-abcs-of-car-tech/>

The biggest advantage is the fuel is injected after initial
compression, just before the spark - so the fuel is not "dwelling" in
the combustion chamber under high heat and pressure, dissassociating
and causing detonation. Can run much higher compression ratio on
regular gas.
Old November 6th 17, 03:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:25:41 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>> They control the spark timing to prevent detonation and pre-ignition.
>> The small amount of combustion detonation sufficient to trigger the
>> knock sensor serves to remove potentially harmful combustion chamber
>> deposits.

>Now that's an interesting concept!
>
>If my bimmer requires higher-octane fuel, and if I add lower-octane fuel
>instead, and if I can induce pinging, then the moment that the engine
>pings, it vibrates "just enough" to shake loose carbon deposits (until the
>engine timing is retarded to eliminate the pinging).
>
>I have never heard of that, but, it kind of sort of makes sense.
>Is that what you're implying can happen?

Might happen - but not by design. A properly running injected engine
hardly builds any deposits at all under normal operation.
Old November 6th 17, 03:12 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:27:33 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>> In the emissions world, a longer zap is what you need. A short zap can
>> lead to a misfire so that's a no no. In order to get a longer term
>> spark, there arose a need to go to high energy ignition systems.

>Thank you for correcting my assumption.
>
>So it's a higher voltage zap for a longer period of time.
>
>What's the old voltage? Something like 10K to 15K volts, right?
>What is the new voltage zap?

60K plus
Old November 6th 17, 03:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair

On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 14:33:43 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
wrote:

>Xeno wrote:
>
>>> No, it's not.+AKA- It's still the same steel that lasts around 4 years.
>>>

>> Hmmm, Last car I had for 8 years, never touched the exhaust system.

>I'm with you on the exhaust.
>It's a non-maintenance part nowadays.
>But we *all* had to deal with exhaust in the days of yore.
>
>So kudos to the EPA for forcing stainless steel into the mix!
>
>PS: I wonder how "Midas Muffler" stays afloat?

They do brakes and suspension and tires now.