What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do but have never done?

Old November 5th 17, 11:12 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

Default What are some car-repair jobs you always wished you could do buthave never done?

On 6/11/2017 1:46 AM, RS Wood wrote:
> Xeno wrote:
>
>> You understand the efficacy of slotted and/or drilled rotors the first
>> time you experience brake fade.

> Nope. Not gonna buy it. You'll have to sell that elixer elsewhere.
> I have read too much practical stuff to believe in marketing bull****.
>
> Removing metal is not the best way to dissipate heat in a rotor.
> I get the surface area stuff. I do.
> I get the water-runoff stuff. I do.
> I get the lighter rotor stuff. I do.
>
> Mass is what matters when you want to dissipate heat, all else (e.g.,
> airflow over the rotors).
>
> Why do you think the biggest spec for failing rotors is thickness?
>
> Let's not just talk. If you really think that removing mass is the way to
> make rotors run cooler, then just show me a valid reference that agrees
> with your point of view. (Not marketing bull**** please.)

Pads, under extremes of heat, give off gases. It is the presence of
those gases *between* the pads and the disc that prevents the friction
from happening. The gases make the pads operate more like a hovercraft.
The slots provide a means by which the gases can quickly escape.
In a road going car, slotted rotors are probably overkill. Not so on
high performance vehicles.

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:31 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 3:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:
> On 11/5/2017 12:48 AM, RS Wood wrote:
>> The Real Bev wrote:
>>
>>> Whenever we see something with a rounded nut or bolt we think "Patrick
>>> was here."Â* Pat is one of my son's friends who NEVER had the right tool.

>> I think they should make adjustable wrenches illegal.
>> I can't for the life of me figure out a use for them.
>>

> You take an adjustible with you when you don't know what size you will
> need.Â* If you get lucky, 50% of the time it will work but 50% of the
> time you go back for a box or open end.

Especially useful where you are working on one of those ******* bits of
machinery where you have a mixture of metric and SAE bolts and nuts.

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:33 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 4:18 AM, The Real Bev wrote:
> On 11/05/2017 01:44 AM, Xeno wrote:
>
>> You understand the efficacy of slotted and/or drilled rotors the first
>> time you experience brake fade.

> Hrm.Â* I thought that was done to lighten them -- bicyclists are
> sometimes also called gram-shavers.Â* It provides better cooling too?

Removing mass reduces heat holding ability. The material removed does
not provide a gain in surface exposure. The real gain is providing a
path for the gasses coming off the pad surfaces to escape from between
the pad and rotor. Reduces the hovercraft effect.

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:40 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 6:05 AM, Frank wrote:
> On 11/4/2017 4:13 PM, wrote:
>> On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 18:17:09 +0000 (UTC), RS Wood >
>> wrote:

>>> You make a good point which I don't know the answer to.
>>>
>>> In my kid days, plastic toys did not exist (transistor radios didn't
>>> exist
>>> either), so our Tonka toys were rubber wheels and steel bodies.
>>>
>>> Nowadays, if you leave a kid's toy car outside, the sun alone will
>>> destroy
>>> it within a year or two.
>>>
>>> So they certainly don't build *some stuff* the way they used to.
>>>
>>> However ... cars *seem* to be different. Are they?
>>>
>>> My Chrysler's and Dodges days (in the olden days, we had brand loyalties
>>> that sprang from the brand loyalties of our fathers) showed me that a
>>> tuneup was needed every year, bias-ply tires lasted something like 20K
>>> miles, and, as you said, the interior was shot by the time the engine
>>> went.
>>>
>>> And that was in the days before plastic bumpers and plastic headlights
>>> (they were real glass bulbs in those days).
>>>
>>> But yet, it seems to me, cars last forever now.
>>> In those days, 100K miles was a lot.
>>> Now, it seems, 200K miles is approaching a lot.
>>>
>>> Do they really make cars better but nothing else is better?
>>> How can that be?

>> Â*Â* They sure make cars a lot better -Â* experience and technology have
>> made a lot of difference. ( Remember, in 1959, the automobile, as an
>> object, was not as old as a 1959 car is today!!!!
>>
>> The reason just about anything else you buy today is NOT better is
>> everyone wants it CHEAPER and expects to upgrade long before anything
>> with any QUALITY would require replacement. Everything is changing SO
>> FAST.
>>
>> Â* Most people want to buy the latest and greatest even before today's
>> JUNK is worn out.
>>

> I've heard that the younger crowd trades in cars because the electronics
> are outdated, not the mechanical parts.
>
> Lot of us keep a car until repair cost exceeds book value.

I trade my cars in when I'm sick of them.

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:49 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

wrote:

>>> Nope - just a real shallow socket on a steel bar about 1/8 x 1/2 x
>>> 16"

>>I may have seen a tool like that somewhere and wondered what it was for :-(
>>
>>I could only move the wrench in a <90 degree arc before it bumped into
>>immovable objects and I think that 16" might have been too long -- I
>>might have thought of slipping a hunk of pipe over the wrench if that
>>was possible or helpful. Putting the wrench on the bolt was the hard
>>part -- my fingers were right down between the fan and the bolts.
>>
>>Never again!

> Find a place to get the wrench through to the bolt and spin the fan -
> don't need to move the handle more than a few degrees.

I'm sure I tried everything that seemed in any way possible. I don't
even like thinking about it any more :-(

--
Cheers, Bev
Buckle Up. It makes it harder for the aliens
Old November 5th 17, 11:50 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 9:06 AM, wrote:
> On Sat, 4 Nov 2017 23:46:38 -0700, The Real Bev >
> wrote:

>>> I'm confused by what you wrote, especially in context with the words "warp"
>>> when rotors never warp (or almost never, and never in terms of mattering).

>> Just an aside.
>>
>>> So anyone who *thinks* rotors warp, is an idiot.

>> It might have happened a little on my mom's (end eventually mine) 88
>> Caddy. Slight vibration when braking, but they felt OK. Until 2 of the
>> calipers seized 8 years later, of course :-( POS, I'll never own
>> another GM product.
>>
>>> The replacing of rotors is also determined by idiots most of the time
>>> because people don't have the concept of measuring the thickness because
>>> many people don't have the concept of owning a micrometer.
>>>
>>> I can't count the number of times I've heard someone say to replace the
>>> rotors on the second pad change, where the real answer is to replace the
>>> rotors when they are worn down to the minimum thickness (everything else
>>> being ok).
>>>
>>> In general, the rotors are ok except for pad deposition which is solely a
>>> driver-caused problem (long story later if people ask).
>>>
>>> Sure, grooves can be there but gouges have to be the size of the Grand
>>> Canyon to matter (just look up the specs, you'll see) so grooves are, in
>>> reality, not what makes rotors into paperweights.

>> These looked like a high-school first-time lathe project. Each of the
>> steel projections on the backing plate had dug out its own trench.
>> Godawful noise, but the brakes still worked fine so I figured I could
>> wait another month :-( (Not the Caddy, this was a 68/9 LTD.)

> as a retired auto tech, I have to dissagree. A "plowed" rotor can NOT
> bed properly to the rotor, it cannot "bed" proerly and it WILL
> overheat parts of the pad before the rest even contacts the rotor. A
> "scored" rotor does NOT pas an Ontario DOT test - nor should it. If a
> new pad and rotor wear together and smoothe "ridges" develop, thats a
> slightly different situation - but you should NEVER put new pads on a
> grooved rotor -

Any scoring on a rotor will fail it. As you say, there might be less
than 50% of the pad surface in contact with the rotor surface. No way
will that bed in properly. You will get localised overheating both on
the pad and on the rotor.

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:51 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

wrote:

>>> That's an enigma to me, but if I think it through, EFI allowed for higher
>>> voltages which I'd think would melt a spark plug even more than the lower
>>> voltages, but maybe what happened is a higher voltage zap keeps the plugs
>>> from fouling. The zap may even be shorter for all I know.

>> In the emissions world, a longer zap is what you need. A short zap can
>> lead to a misfire so that's a no no. In order to get a longer term
>> spark, there arose a need to go to high energy ignition systems.
>>>
>>> The lack of tetraethyl lead, I guess, besides meaning harder valve seats,
>>> means fewer deposits on the plugs I guess, where deposits that conduct
>>> electricity cause the voltage to bleed off down the center electrode to the
>>> threads.
>>>
>>> Is that how the lead and efi helped plugs last forever?
>>>
>>> The enigma is that the higher voltage "should" eat the metal faster.
>>>

> MSD - mult-spark-Discharge ignition was a performance add-on in the
> late seventies - before computer controlled ignition.

The GDI engines are moving to multi spark due to stratified charge.

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:52 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Xeno

On 6/11/2017 9:13 AM, wrote:
> On Sun, 5 Nov 2017 19:56:38 +1100, Xeno >
> wrote:

>>> A belt is a belt. The point I was trying to make, albeit awkwardly, was
>>> visual inspection of the belt tells you nothing in most cases. You
>>> replace the thing after N miles based on the mean time to failure. If
>>> you have a timing belt that fails before that and an interference engine
>>> you can plan on replacing valves too. There are many things on an
>>> automobile that give you hints they should be replaced; timing belts
>>> just break.
>>>
>>> Timing chains used to be less dependable but the newer ones are greatly
>>> improved. I'm happy my Toyota has a chain. I haven't researched it but I
>>> do believe some manufacturers are going back to chains. Belts are
>>> cheaper but ****ed off customers aren't.

>> I have Toyotas precisely because they have a chain.

> Some do, some don't. (perhaps today they all do - not sure)

The ones I buy sure do! ;-)

--

Xeno
Old November 5th 17, 11:53 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
The Real Bev[_5_]

On 11/05/2017 03:31 PM, Xeno wrote:
> On 6/11/2017 3:15 AM, Ed Pawlowski wrote:

>>> I think they should make adjustable wrenches illegal.
>>> I can't for the life of me figure out a use for them.

>> You take an adjustible with you when you don't know what size you will
>> need. If you get lucky, 50% of the time it will work but 50% of the
>> time you go back for a box or open end.

> Especially useful where you are working on one of those ******* bits of
> machinery where you have a mixture of metric and SAE bolts and nuts.

Are metrinch wrenches still available? Did anyone ever buy them?

Old November 6th 17, 12:53 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech,sci.electronics.repair
Steve W.[_6_]

The Real Bev wrote:
> On 11/05/2017 03:31 PM, Xeno wrote:

>>> You take an adjustible with you when you don't know what size you will
>>> need. If you get lucky, 50% of the time it will work but 50% of the
>>> time you go back for a box or open end.

>> Especially useful where you are working on one of those ******* bits of
>> machinery where you have a mixture of metric and SAE bolts and nuts.

> Are metrinch wrenches still available? Did anyone ever buy them?

They are still out there and new versions seem to pop up now and then.
They can be handy in the rust belt if you're out on the road.

--
Steve W.