Accidentally wrecking the fuel pump?

Old January 23rd 16, 09:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
geo pearl

Default Accidentally wrecking the fuel pump?

I wanted to ask you guys if a story is true:

That if you habitually use all the gas in
your tank you run the risk of damaging your
fuel pump because the pump is dry.

If you would, please give your response and
don't spare the details/stories. Thanks.
Old January 23rd 16, 09:55 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

geo pearl > wrote:
>I wanted to ask you guys if a story is true:
>
>That if you habitually use all the gas in
>your tank you run the risk of damaging your
>fuel pump because the pump is dry.

This is the case with most modern cars, but many older cars with
external pumps do not have that problem.

>If you would, please give your response and
>don't spare the details/stories. Thanks.

Modern in-tank pumps use the fuel flow to cool the motor windings as
well as for lubrication. They don't like running dry. You can try
it out on the bench if you want to see one sieze up.
--scott

Old January 25th 16, 08:13 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2016-01-23, geo pearl > wrote:
> I wanted to ask you guys if a story is true:
>
> That if you habitually use all the gas in
> your tank you run the risk of damaging your
> fuel pump because the pump is dry.
>
> If you would, please give your response and
> don't spare the details/stories. Thanks.

Assuming modern electric in-tank pumps:
If you're not pushing your car in for a fillup all you're doing at
worst is diminishing the life of the pump because there is less fuel in
the tank to cool it. It's not submerged when the tank is nearly empty.
So it runs a touch hotter so it won't last quite as long. But I doubt
anyone has the statistical information to say how much exactly. It may
not even be detectable over other wear and tear issues.

If you actually empty the tank and run it dry, you're probably damanging
it because it's supposed to have fuel flowing through it when running.

Old January 26th 16, 04:18 AM posted to rec.autos.tech

On Sunday, January 24, 2016 at 4:46:48 AM UTC+8, geo pearl wrote:
Recently, I had hose perish between the tank and fuel filter, so it
leaked. Tank was low, and it pumped enough out of the leak that engine
stalled. Fuel guage was now on red empty mark.
Luckily it was a dual-fuel, so I got home on LPG. I tried to disable
the pump, but couldn't. (If you pull out fuel fuse, then the ECU refused
to fire). Now it was 20 minutes to get home. I put 5 litres into the
tank, and repaired the hose. Surprisingly the pump still worked.
That was at night. I expect in summer afternoon, it would have fried.