Cadillac runaway acceleration

Old May 16th 15, 06:46 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
The Real Bev[_5_]

Default Cadillac runaway acceleration

On 05/16/2015 08:55 AM, Bill Vanek wrote:
> On Sat, 16 May 2015 00:21:13 -0700, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
>>On 05/15/2015 02:49 PM, Brent wrote:
>>> regulator issue. Probably a broken gear. A plastic gear knowing GM.

>>Probably. The 1960 Ford broke the little plastic roller that pushed on
>>the window to roll it up and down. 25-cent part, taking the **** off
>>the door was the troublesome part. Probably the same here, except for
>>the gear-grinding noise at the top and bottom. More crap. Oh yeah, the
>>interior door-puller broke so I have to close the door by hooking my
>>fingers into the space between the window and its frame.

> Those window regulators had a plastic gear, with a plastic "tape" that
> ran in a channel. You could replace the tape and gear, but I don't
> know if that stuff is available anymore. Relatively easy job.

I think at this point we have to decide whether we want to drive without
AC or not. It was one of the best things about this car.

I 've already sunk too much money into it, and it still needs more. The
knackers are looking better and better...

--
Cheers, Bev
=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=-=
Old May 17th 15, 08:50 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Scott Dorsey

The Real Bev > wrote:

>We could probably do that ourselves, we have a little 5" lathe that
>hasn't moved for 40 years. Not gonna do it, though. The car is at the
>point where stuff is just going to start breaking and I don't want to
>deal with it any more. I really am superstitious about this -- fix one
>thing and the car will deliberately break something else.

Do it! Press the bushings out... if you don't have an arbor press, you
can put a drill bit into your drill press upside-down and use the rear
of the bit to press the thing out. Take them to a motor shop and see if
they can match them.

If the originals are just pot metal bushings that are part of the casting
(which would be something horrible only GM would do), then measure the
diameter of the shaft and go to a motor shop and see if they can find
something to fit... then drill out the casting to press them in.

If you have to machine bushings, don't try and ream the center. Scraping
the oilite will seal up the pores in the metal which are holding oil in.
Use a drill bit on the lathe to do the center, and use a newly sharpened
drill bit and run slow and cool.

And yes... the car WILL break something else soon. A lot of engineering
on the part of GM has gone into making sure that everything in the car
will fall apart at the same time. My statics professor in college had
worked for GM and thought this was such a wonderful and ingenious practice.
I was (and remain) kind of horrified by it.

>>>I truly wish my mom had asked us before buying this POS. A "luxury" car
>>>with 85,000 miles on the clock should NOT need this much crap in
>>>addition to the crap it's already demanded.

>> GM quality has improved a lot since this car was made. It hasn't improved
>> enough, mind you, but things are much better today.

>Never again. The 73 Dodge pickup is made of real metal. It goes, it
>stops (well, it needs some serious brake work, but it stops if you
>pump), and its problems are understandable by humans.

There is a reason why the US car industry lost badly to the Japanese in
the seventies and eighties.
--scott
Old May 18th 15, 08:04 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2015-05-17, Scott Dorsey > wrote:

> And yes... the car WILL break something else soon. A lot of engineering
> on the part of GM has gone into making sure that everything in the car
> will fall apart at the same time. My statics professor in college had
> worked for GM and thought this was such a wonderful and ingenious practice.
> I was (and remain) kind of horrified by it.

Everything has a design life. The Japanese automakers also practiced
having everything on the car last the design life as well. It's
acceptable provided the design life is long enough. At GM back then it
was probably something stupid short.

Old May 20th 15, 08:11 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
JR[_8_]

On Monday, May 18, 2015 at 2:05:14 PM UTC-5, Brent wrote:
> On 2015-05-17, Scott Dorsey > wrote:
>
> > And yes... the car WILL break something else soon. A lot of engineering
> > on the part of GM has gone into making sure that everything in the car
> > will fall apart at the same time. My statics professor in college had
> > worked for GM and thought this was such a wonderful and ingenious practice.
> > I was (and remain) kind of horrified by it.

> Everything has a design life. The Japanese automakers also practiced
> having everything on the car last the design life as well. It's
> acceptable provided the design life is long enough. At GM back then it
> was probably something stupid short.

Cars are nothing but buckets of nuts and bolts.