What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bunghole threaded neck problem

Old September 13th 14, 12:32 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Vic Smith

Default What we need is a better solution to the CARB/EPA gasoline can bung hole threaded neck problem

On Fri, 12 Sep 2014 08:58:00 +0000 (UTC), "Danny D."
> wrote:

>Today, I drive down to Costco, to fill my trunk with 50 gallons of gas:
> https://c4.staticflickr.com/4/3892/1...7df1c083_b.jpg

What is that, about $300-400 in gas jugs?
What's wrong with drums and a pump?
I don't get it.
A 5-gal gas jug is always clumsy.
I have one, and use it only to fill my 2 1/2 and 1 gal jugs.
If I commonly dealt with more than 5 gals I'd arrange for bigger tanks
and a transfer system.
Just the thought of filling 10 cans at a gas station is something I
don't want to entertain.

Old September 13th 14, 01:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

Vic Smith wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:32:06 -0500:

> What is that, about $300-400 in gas jugs?
> What's wrong with drums and a pump?
> I don't get it.

It's not done for cost reasons, although, in the long terms, the
cans do eventually pay for themselves, but that was never the intent.

It's done for convenience.
The wife *never* has to put gas in her car, since I do it for her.

Yet, the wife *hates* when I drive her car, so, I came up with a
method to fill her car while she sleeps.

> A 5-gal gas jug is always clumsy.

At some point, I'm going to add a set of 50-gallon drums and
a pump, but that's for the future.

> If I commonly dealt with more than 5 gals I'd arrange for bigger tanks
> and a transfer system.

Yep. Best would be if the fuel could be delivered by a truck.

> Just the thought of filling 10 cans at a gas station is something I
> don't want to entertain.

It doesn't bother me one bit, but, people at the gas station often
ask me if I'm preparing for Armageddon?

Old September 13th 14, 01:58 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Dan Espen

"Danny D." > writes:

> Vic Smith wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 18:32:06 -0500:
>
>> What is that, about $300-400 in gas jugs?
>> What's wrong with drums and a pump?
>> I don't get it.

> It's not done for cost reasons, although, in the long terms, the
> cans do eventually pay for themselves, but that was never the intent.
>
> It's done for convenience.
> The wife *never* has to put gas in her car, since I do it for her.
>
> Yet, the wife *hates* when I drive her car, so, I came up with a
> method to fill her car while she sleeps.

Ah, so that's why you don't drive the car to the station.

Do you really think she'd just get in the car and drive it until
empty and die on the spot?

Men do crazy things for women, but this is a new one on me.

You need some home repair, but it doesn't have anything to do
with bulk transport of gasoline. But I'm guessing you wont listen.
Hope it's worth it. When you were servicing the pretty neighbor lady
I got confused.

--
Dan Espen
Old September 13th 14, 02:30 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

Dan Espen wrote, on Fri, 12 Sep 2014 20:58:59 -0400:

> You need some home repair, but it doesn't have anything to do
> with bulk transport of gasoline. But I'm guessing you wont listen.
> Hope it's worth it. When you were servicing the pretty neighbor lady
> I got confused.

I service *any* pretty lady I can, especially the wife, who cooks
like a dream come true!
Old September 13th 14, 04:09 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
rbowman

Vic Smith wrote:

> What's wrong with drums and a pump?

A 55 gallon drum full of gasoline is, what, a little under 400 pounds. It
would be tough to get into the trunk. Or out.
Old September 13th 14, 02:04 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Stormin Mormon[_9_]

On 9/12/2014 8:58 PM, Dan Espen wrote:
> "Danny D." > writes:
>> It's done for convenience.
>> The wife *never* has to put gas in her car, since I do it for her.
>>
>> Yet, the wife *hates* when I drive her car, so, I came up with a
>> method to fill her car while she sleeps.

> Ah, so that's why you don't drive the car to the station.
>
> Do you really think she'd just get in the car and drive it until
> empty and die on the spot?
>
> Men do crazy things for women, but this is a new one on me.

I've heard of other guys using portable cans to
keep wife's car gassed up. Remember, this is the
same Danny D who was going to set up as a water
hauler for his neighborhood.

--
..
Christopher A. Young
Old September 13th 14, 03:13 PM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
J Burns

On 9/12/14, 11:09 PM, rbowman wrote:
> Vic Smith wrote:
>
>> What's wrong with drums and a pump?

> A 55 gallon drum full of gasoline is, what, a little under 400 pounds. It
> would be tough to get into the trunk. Or out.

My uncle used to keep a 250-gallon tank of ag gas for his Poppin'
Johnnies. It was on the highway, 100 yards up the road from the house.
Delivery charges must have been reasonable because he had a big pickup
and a flatbed and could easily have rigged a hoist. I'm sure companies
still deliver ag gas, and they probably deliver road gas.
Old September 14th 14, 02:14 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Danny D.[_4_]

Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:04:21 -0400:

> I've heard of other guys using portable cans to
> keep wife's car gassed up. Remember, this is the
> same Danny D who was going to set up as a water
> hauler for his neighborhood.

The neighbors solved their water problem with a new well.

Our *new* community problem is that the darn county is
ripping up all the blue reflectors we had carefully epoxied
into the middle of the road on the more dangerous curves, so
that non-resident cars would stay to the side on blind curves.
https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5585/1...20b338aa_z.jpg

Note: The road is too narrow for a center stripe so they
won't paint it. (I also removed the names of the people
in the pink slip of paper in this photo.)

Old September 14th 14, 04:48 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Pico Rico

"Danny D." > wrote in message
> Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:04:21 -0400:
>
>> I've heard of other guys using portable cans to
>> keep wife's car gassed up. Remember, this is the
>> same Danny D who was going to set up as a water
>> hauler for his neighborhood.

> The neighbors solved their water problem with a new well.
>
> Our *new* community problem is that the darn county is
> ripping up all the blue reflectors we had carefully epoxied
> into the middle of the road on the more dangerous curves, so
> that non-resident cars would stay to the side on blind curves.
> https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5585/1...20b338aa_z.jpg
>
> Note: The road is too narrow for a center stripe so they
> won't paint it. (I also removed the names of the people
> in the pink slip of paper in this photo.)

You dope! Those blue reflectors are to indicate the location of a fire
hydrant. No wonder the county is ripping them up.

Old September 14th 14, 05:17 AM posted to alt.home.repair,rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-09-14, Pico Rico > wrote:

> "Danny D." > wrote in message
>> Stormin Mormon wrote, on Sat, 13 Sep 2014 09:04:21 -0400:
>>
>>> I've heard of other guys using portable cans to
>>> keep wife's car gassed up. Remember, this is the
>>> same Danny D who was going to set up as a water
>>> hauler for his neighborhood.

>> The neighbors solved their water problem with a new well.
>>
>> Our *new* community problem is that the darn county is
>> ripping up all the blue reflectors we had carefully epoxied
>> into the middle of the road on the more dangerous curves, so
>> that non-resident cars would stay to the side on blind curves.
>> https://c2.staticflickr.com/6/5585/1...20b338aa_z.jpg
>>
>> Note: The road is too narrow for a center stripe so they
>> won't paint it. (I also removed the names of the people
>> in the pink slip of paper in this photo.)
>>

> You dope! Those blue reflectors are to indicate the location of a fire
> hydrant. No wonder the county is ripping them up.

Blue is the wrong color but they would get ripped up regardless of
color. Government does like this sort of action by regular people even
when everything is done perfectly.