Help! Caliper torque setting

Old August 12th 14, 03:39 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael Wilson

Default Help! Caliper torque setting

I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic) Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner torque wrench.

http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/

Thanks!
Old August 12th 14, 04:06 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 8/11/2014 4:39 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:
> I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic) Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner torque wrench.
>
> http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/
>
> Thanks!

47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that torque
wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque, my suggestion is
that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work your way up and learn the feel
of the amount of torque that it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper
amount of torque needed by the size and material of the fastener. These
days, I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.
Old August 12th 14, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Michael Wilson

On Monday, August 11, 2014 10:06:57 PM UTC-5, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/11/2014 4:39 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:
>
> > I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic) Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner torque wrench.

> > http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/

> > Thanks!

> 47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that torque
>
> wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque, my suggestion is
>
> that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work your way up and learn the feel
>
> of the amount of torque that it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper
>
> amount of torque needed by the size and material of the fastener. These
>
> days, I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.

I read the docs wrong. The torque is 21-26. Live and learn.
Old August 12th 14, 12:41 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 8/11/2014 10:06 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/11/2014 4:39 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:
>> I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From
>> what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to
>> sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to
>> get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic)
>> Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner
>> torque wrench.
>>
>> http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/
>>
>> Thanks!
>>

> 47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that
> torque wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque,
> my suggestion is that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work
> your way up and learn the feel of the amount of torque that
> it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper amount of torque
> needed by the size and material of the fastener. These days,
> I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.

If you have employees who "don't need a torque wrench", put
a dial wrench in a vise with the scale facing away and have
them show you various torques. The other guys will almost
laugh and then they get quiet too.

For the fasteners they do all day long they are pretty good
but anything unusual will be way off.

--
Andrew Muzi
<www.yellowjersey.org/>

Old August 12th 14, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
Brent[_4_]

On 2014-08-12, AMuzi > wrote:
> On 8/11/2014 10:06 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 8/11/2014 4:39 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:
>>> I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From
>>> what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to
>>> sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to
>>> get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic)
>>> Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner
>>> torque wrench.
>>>
>>> http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> 47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that
>> torque wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque,
>> my suggestion is that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work
>> your way up and learn the feel of the amount of torque that
>> it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper amount of torque
>> needed by the size and material of the fastener. These days,
>> I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.

> If you have employees who "don't need a torque wrench", put
> a dial wrench in a vise with the scale facing away and have
> them show you various torques. The other guys will almost
> laugh and then they get quiet too.
>
> For the fasteners they do all day long they are pretty good
> but anything unusual will be way off.

Calibrated fingers

anyways most fastener joints work for a wide range of torque values,
much wider than a manual or assembly spec will give. That's why one can
get away with a calibrated fingers approach. The trick is knowing when a
torque wrench is really needed and when it's just a suggestion.

Old August 12th 14, 08:05 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_10_]

On 8/12/2014 1:41 AM, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/11/2014 10:06 PM, dsi1 wrote:
>> On 8/11/2014 4:39 PM, Michael Wilson wrote:
>>> I'm putting the caliper back on the anchor plate. From
>>> what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to
>>> sheer the bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to
>>> get another one. Am I misreading the specs? (see pic)
>>> Maybe I didn't hear the click from the Autozone loaner
>>> torque wrench.
>>>
>>> http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/
>>>
>>> Thanks!
>>>

>> 47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that
>> torque wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque,
>> my suggestion is that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work
>> your way up and learn the feel of the amount of torque that
>> it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper amount of torque
>> needed by the size and material of the fastener. These days,
>> I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.

> If you have employees who "don't need a torque wrench", put a dial
> wrench in a vise with the scale facing away and have them show you
> various torques. The other guys will almost laugh and then they get
> quiet too.
>
> For the fasteners they do all day long they are pretty good but anything
> unusual will be way off.

I think it's silly to have to pull out a torque wrench for every
fastener. You really don't need an employee that does that. Obviously,
there are some fasteners where you should use one or a torque angle
gauge. My friend always pulls out his torque wrench and he takes twice
as long to do a simple job and has no feel for this kind of work.
Old August 12th 14, 10:35 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
AMuzi

On 8/12/2014 2:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:
> On 8/12/2014 1:41 AM, AMuzi wrote:

>>> 47 lb-ft is not that tight. You must have just cranked that
>>> torque wrench to high hell. If you have no feel for torque,
>>> my suggestion is that you start at 20 lb-ft and then work
>>> your way up and learn the feel of the amount of torque that
>>> it takes. OTOH, you should learn the proper amount of torque
>>> needed by the size and material of the fastener. These days,
>>> I don't need no stinkin' torque wrench.

>> If you have employees who "don't need a torque wrench",
>> put a dial
>> wrench in a vise with the scale facing away and have them
>> show you
>> various torques. The other guys will almost laugh and then
>> they get
>> quiet too.
>>
>> For the fasteners they do all day long they are pretty
>> good but anything
>> unusual will be way off.
>>

> I think it's silly to have to pull out a torque wrench for
> every fastener. You really don't need an employee that does
> that. Obviously, there are some fasteners where you should
> use one or a torque angle gauge. My friend always pulls out
> his torque wrench and he takes twice as long to do a simple
> job and has no feel for this kind of work.

I agree.

With expensive and delicate carbon fiber and titanium parts
observing manufacturer's torque value is critical but in
most things close counts.

Old August 13th 14, 04:33 AM posted to rec.autos.tech
Sanity Clause

"Michael Wilson" wrote:

> > From what I can tell, the torque is 47 pounds. I managed to sheer the
> > bolt and now have to go to the hardware store to get another one.

> > http://postimg.org/image/49bjhmnnd/

> I read the docs wrong. The torque is 21-26. Live and learn.

Yep, 2WD vs 4WD.

Although I also use Autozone's guides for cars that I can't find info for elsewhere,
I've found I need to be EXTRA careful, as many of the pages are adapted to their
site by non-humans, so there's a LOT of errors that slip by. There's one car (can't
remember which) that had 6 different procedures for removing the transmission.
Of course, all the headers telling you which year / model / engine each section
was for were missing, so it was kind of a guessing game of which was correct.
I would have complained, but it's FREE, so.......

Old August 13th 14, 08:38 PM posted to rec.autos.tech
dsi1[_11_]

On Tuesday, August 12, 2014 11:35:16 AM UTC-10, AMuzi wrote:
> On 8/12/2014 2:05 PM, dsi1 wrote:

> >> If you have employees who "don't need a torque wrench",

> >> put a dial

> >> wrench in a vise with the scale facing away and have them

> >> show you

> >> various torques. The other guys will almost laugh and then

> >> they get

> >> quiet too.

> >> For the fasteners they do all day long they are pretty

> >> good but anything

> >> unusual will be way off.

> > I think it's silly to have to pull out a torque wrench for

> > every fastener. You really don't need an employee that does

> > that. Obviously, there are some fasteners where you should

> > use one or a torque angle gauge. My friend always pulls out

> > his torque wrench and he takes twice as long to do a simple

> > job and has no feel for this kind of work.

> I agree.
>

> With expensive and delicate carbon fiber and titanium parts
>
> observing manufacturer's torque value is critical but in
>
> most things close counts.

These exotic, lightweight, parts would require a recalibration of my arm. As of yet, I've never met one of these critters. I sure hope I don't! :-)

> --
>
> Andrew Muzi
>
> <www.yellowjersey.org/>
>
> Open every day since 1 April, 1971

SVO Caliper Nightmare!!! GT5OH Ford Mustang 7 January 30th 08 11:40 PM
Caliper Repair Nothing Else [email protected] Technology 5 November 2nd 07 06:28 AM
Which Caliper? dprkk Chrysler 0 June 4th 07 12:09 PM
Chrysler T&C caliper bolt torque ECLiPSE 2002 Technology 0 July 28th 06 08:51 PM
Brake Caliper [email protected] VW air cooled 16 May 5th 05 02:15 AM