More cargo capacity for a c6 convertible

Old November 3rd 09, 10:00 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Mel[_2_]

Default More cargo capacity for a c6 convertible

I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
capacity than the miata-sized trunk. How can I find a way to carry a
couple more suitcases?

I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath the
hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. To take the stuff we
(she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have enough
space in the trunk. The coupe has plenty.

Got any ideas? What possible way is there to carry a little more
stuff? I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. A Miata
buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
plugged into a receiver hitch.

Any info will be greatly appreciated.

mel
Old November 3rd 09, 10:13 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
charlie

"Mel" > wrote in message
>I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
> capacity than the miata-sized trunk. How can I find a way to carry a
> couple more suitcases?
>
> I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath the
> hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
> My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
> lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. To take the stuff we
> (she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have enough
> space in the trunk. The coupe has plenty.
>
> Got any ideas? What possible way is there to carry a little more
> stuff? I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. A Miata
> buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
> race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
> plugged into a receiver hitch.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> mel

i had a small trailer for my 89 to haul race wheels and tools. uhaul put the
receiver hitch on for me.

you could always fedex a suitcase to your destination. another idea i read
about: take nothing. go to a cheap store at your destination. buy new cheap
cloths. donate to goodwill when you leave for the tax writeoff. you could
also leave clothes at your destination if you're there frequently.

Old November 4th 09, 01:22 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Mel" > wrote in message
>I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
> capacity than the miata-sized trunk. How can I find a way to carry
> couple more suitcases?
>
> I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath
> the
> hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
> My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
> lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. To take the stuff
> we
> (she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have
> enough
> space in the trunk. The coupe has plenty.
>
> Got any ideas? What possible way is there to carry a little more
> stuff? I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. A
> Miata
> buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
> race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
> plugged into a receiver hitch.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> mel

Three things will help, soft side luggage, use the space that is
available when the top is up, and pack wisely. There is way more space
in the C6 than the Miata, if you plan well it should do. I have a
friend that can pack a suitcase so that it is hard to lift and without
wrinkling any clothes. Her ride is two 10 hour days so I know it can
be done.

One thing won't help, hanging a load out on a trailer hitch is not my
way of balancing a cars handling. Use the trailer but not the receiver
as a loading platform if you can't restrain the quantity of your
necessities.

I've been doing that kind of trip for 17 years and have never had a
problem with room. The downside to running that loaded is getting
caught in a rain storm and fight those wide tires. Even worse is some
of the snow storms I've been caught in, up to 18". Never would have
made it if I would have had the Corvette over loaded.

I have to ask you how do you think those ladies on the back of a
Harley pack enough to travel?

Old November 4th 09, 02:05 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dad[_1_]

"Dad" > wrote in message
.. .

> "Mel" > wrote in message
>>I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
>> capacity than the miata-sized trunk. How can I find a way to carry
>> couple more suitcases?
>>
>> I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath
>> the
>> hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
>> My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
>> lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. To take the stuff
>> we
>> (she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have
>> enough
>> space in the trunk. The coupe has plenty.
>>
>> Got any ideas? What possible way is there to carry a little more
>> stuff? I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. A
>> Miata
>> buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to
>> haul
>> race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
>> plugged into a receiver hitch.
>>
>> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> mel

> Three things will help, soft side luggage, use the space that is
> available when the top is up, and pack wisely. There is way more
> space in the C6 than the Miata, if you plan well it should do. I
> have a friend that can pack a suitcase so that it is hard to lift
> and without wrinkling any clothes. Her ride is two 10 hour days so I
> know it can be done.
>
> One thing won't help, hanging a load out on a trailer hitch is not
> my way of balancing a cars handling. Use the trailer but not the
> receiver as a loading platform if you can't restrain the quantity of
> your necessities.
>
> I've been doing that kind of trip for 17 years and have never had a
> problem with room. The downside to running that loaded is getting
> caught in a rain storm and fight those wide tires. Even worse is
> some of the snow storms I've been caught in, up to 18". Never would
> have made it if I would have had the Corvette over loaded.
>
> I have to ask you how do you think those ladies on the back of a
> Harley pack enough to travel?

Just a quick update for you, the C6 convertible has 20.4 Cu Ft of
luggage space while the Miata has 5.3.

Old November 4th 09, 06:46 AM posted to alt.autos.corvette
JimH[_3_]

Mel wrote:
> I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
> capacity than the miata-sized trunk. How can I find a way to carry a
> couple more suitcases?
>
> I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath the
> hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
> My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
> lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. To take the stuff we
> (she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have enough
> space in the trunk. The coupe has plenty.
>
> Got any ideas? What possible way is there to carry a little more
> stuff? I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. A Miata
> buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
> race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
> plugged into a receiver hitch.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> mel

I once moved across country in a TR-7. I even had a TV in the car.
Everything was packed so tight, it couldn't move. The car still handled
like a plow though.

I would suggest getting some of those vacuum bags. You put clothes in
one, then roll out all the air. It lets you pack a lot more in the
available space. They are on Amazon as "Travel space bags".

I've also seen a Corvette on the highway with a beautiful matching
trailer. It was little, but could easily carry some suitcases. Here is
one, but it is over $3,000. http://www.c5creations.com/trailer.php

--
Jim
Old November 4th 09, 01:21 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

On Nov 3, 4:00*pm, Mel > wrote:
> I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
> capacity than the miata-sized trunk. *How can I find a way to carry a
> couple more suitcases?
>
> I know the coupe has a nice large volume of cargo space underneath the
> hatch, but I have had a coupe before, and now I want a convertible.
> My problem is that I need to travel once a month or so with the old
> lady out to see the grandkids,.. a 10 hour ride. *To take the stuff we
> (she) requires for the trip, the convertible just doesn't have enough
> space in the trunk. *The coupe has plenty.
>
> Got any ideas? *What possible way is there to carry a little more
> stuff? *I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. *A Miata
> buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
> race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
> plugged into a receiver hitch.
>
> Any info will be greatly appreciated.
>
> mel

THat is why I did not get a C6. My suggestion would be to get a 2004
C5 convertible. Plenty of trunk space - we went to FL for two weeks
with it.
Old November 5th 09, 02:34 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Blue C5

> > I want a 2008/2009 convertible, but I need a tad more carrying
> > capacity than the miata-sized trunk. *How can I find a way to carry a
> > couple more suitcases?

> > Got any ideas? *What possible way is there to carry a little more
> > stuff? *I had luggage racks on a Miata, and an MGB years ago. *A Miata
> > buddy had a trailer hitch on his car to tow a little trailer to haul
> > race wheels to events, and he suggests using some sort of platform
> > plugged into a receiver hitch.

There is a better option - UPS your excess luggage to a UPS store at
your destination.

Old November 22nd 09, 05:44 PM posted to alt.autos.corvette
Dddudley

Dad wrote:

> I have to ask you how do you think those ladies on the back of a Harley
> pack enough to travel?

Six pack of some most excellent deodorant?<g>

> "Three things will help, soft side luggage, use the space that is
> available when the top is up, and pack wisely."

Yep, you just have to adjust to not driving the big tin car or else
drive it and take what you want.

We drive a C-4 convertible and space is very limited. We can
accommodate clothing for a long weekend trip with the top down. Think
outside the box. Undies and sox (assuming you don't wish to be bothered
by doing laundry over the weekend) travel quite well in plastic bags
from the grocery, crammed into the most obscure spaces underneath the
hatch. The wrinkles come out almost as soon as you slip them skivvies on<g>

Good advice no matter how you travel these days. No more free checked
baggage is a wakeup call for us all.

Help 3.9L oil capacity issue Moses[_2_] Chrysler 14 August 10th 07 04:17 PM
3.9l oil capacity? Moses[_2_] Dodge 1 August 7th 07 09:47 PM
E46 Gearbox capacity Tom K. BMW 1 December 20th 05 03:06 PM
AX-15 Capacity Will Honea Jeep 12 July 21st 05 09:20 PM
Tow capacity Campswamp1 Jeep 6 January 30th 05 11:07 PM