Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays???

Old December 21st 05, 09:06 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Default Merry Christmas or Happy Holidays???

Shawn Hirn > responds:

>> Which one do you prefer?

[...]

> 1) Use "Merry Christmas" if you know the person celebrates Christmas
> or "Happy Hanukkah" if you know the person celebrates Hanukkah, or
> "Happy Kwanzaa" if you know the person celebrates Kwanzaa.

Kwaanza is a silly, contrived pseudo-holiday. It's "celebration"
shouldn't be encouraged by even acknowledging its misbegotten
existence.

"Enough. Kwanzaa is a pagan, racist, charade founded by a man in
1966 who tortured 2 women. If idiocy draws some unfortunates to
it, that is their problem."

-- http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-news/599447/posts

> 2) If you don't know which holiday (Kwanzaa, Hanukkah, or Christmas),
> someone celebrates, say something generic such as "Seasons Greetings"

Does anybody ever actually *say* "Season's Greetings?" I see it
on Christmas cards (oh, the irony!) and on banners hung by busin-
esses or painted on their windows, but I can't remember ever
hearing it used as a spoken salutation.

("'Urnutzov,' he salutated, bowing and tugging his foreskin.")

> 3) Do not acknowledge the holiday season at all.

It's the *Christmas* season, whether it's acknowledged or not
Hannukah (sometimes spelled Chanukkah, pronounced "Cha-NOO-ka")
isn't even a major Jewish holiday, so its questionable whether
it even rates a holiday greeting.

Geoff

--
"I'm so anal that I weigh each of my cd's to the nearest microgram,
fifty times, on a quartz crystal microbalance and then arrange them

Old December 21st 05, 09:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Geoff,

Seeing as your source is a post on Free Republic, that *must* mean it's
true!

Seasons greetings.

Shaun

Old December 21st 05, 09:32 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Shaun > writes:

> Seeing as your source is a post on Free Republic, that *must* mean it's
> true!

It isn't a "source"; it's some guy's opinion, and is presented there
as such.

> Seasons greetings.

Mele kalikimaka. Hou'oli Makahiki Hou.

Geoff

Old December 21st 05, 09:43 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

> It isn't a "source"; it's some guy's opinion, and is presented there
> as such.

Hmmm....okay, well, it's obviously "some guy's opinion" but it was not
presented there as such. I'm still baffled as to why you included some
anonymous guy's opinion in your post, but I suppose it really doesn't
matter.

Happy holidays...or merry Christmas, if you like.

Shaun

Old December 21st 05, 10:18 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

> Kwaanza is a silly, contrived pseudo-holiday. It's "celebration"
> shouldn't be encouraged by even acknowledging its misbegotten
> existence.

Nice arrogance. Kwaanza is just as real as your silly pseudo holiday.

I celebrate Flying Spagetti Monster day - are you going to tell me that's
not real too?

Old December 21st 05, 10:57 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

And neither do you.

Old December 21st 05, 10:59 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

No it doesn't

Old December 27th 05, 04:14 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

JohnH > writes:

: Kwaanza is a silly, contrived pseudo-holiday. It's "celebration"
: shouldn't be encouraged by even acknowledging its misbegotten
: existence.

> Nice arrogance. Kwaanza is just as real as your silly pseudo holiday.

No it isn't. It doesn't commemorate any historical event or anything
of civic or religious significance. It was invented by a university
professor in the late 1960s, surfing the wave of the Black Power
movement of the era, with the intent of raising the self-esteem of
black people. It's a vompletely synthetic non-holiday, and anyone
who takes it seriously is deserving of scorn.

> I celebrate Flying Spagetti Monster day - are you going to tell me
> that's not real too?

Oh, you're one of those oh-so-jaded, low-rent iconoclasts who's
discovered that silly-assed Web site. Yes, I'm going to tell you
that that's not real, too. Bhuhuhu.

Geoff

--
"When addressing young mothers, for instance, even the most light-hearted
reference to sodomizing their newborn children will meet with the cold

Old December 27th 05, 04:29 PM posted to rec.travel.europe,rec.travel.air,rec.autos.driving,misc.consumers

Geoff Miller wrote:
> JohnH > writes:
>
> : Kwaanza is a silly, contrived pseudo-holiday. It's "celebration"
> : shouldn't be encouraged by even acknowledging its misbegotten
> : existence.
>

>>Nice arrogance. Kwaanza is just as real as your silly pseudo holiday.

> No it isn't. It doesn't commemorate any historical event or anything
> of civic or religious significance. It was invented by a university
> professor in the late 1960s, surfing the wave of the Black Power
> movement of the era, with the intent of raising the self-esteem of
> black people. It's a vompletely synthetic non-holiday, and anyone
> who takes it seriously is deserving of scorn.
>

>>I celebrate Flying Spagetti Monster day - are you going to tell me
>>that's not real too?

> Oh, you're one of those oh-so-jaded, low-rent iconoclasts who's
> discovered that silly-assed Web site. Yes, I'm going to tell you
> that that's not real, too. Bhuhuhu.
>

> Geoff

The Kwanzaa "parade" was on the L.A. news last nite.
Maybe a dozen onlookers.
And the Grand Marshal's car had a photo of Tookie on the side.
Good Will and copkiller bullets toward all men.