Flush Radiator

Old November 15th 05, 01:25 AM
Natman

Default Flush Radiator

On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:40:52 GMT, "Brian"
> wrote:

>I have a 1996 Miata 1.8 L. I have never flushed and refilled coolant
>(myself), so i'm looking for some guidance. I have Haynes manual for my
>Miata.
>Instructions a
>1. drain coolant thru radiator drain
>2. loosen engine block drain plug and drain coolant thru there
>3. flush system
>4. drain overflow reservoir
>5. close rad. drain and engine block drain
>6. Place heater temp control in max heat position
>7. slowly add coolant till radiator is full
>8. run car with radiator cap off until thermostat opens
>9. turn car off and let cool
>10. add more coolant to radiator to fill to top
>11. replace radiator cap and start engine
>12. allow to reach operating temp & check system
>
>My questions:
>1. in step 3 do you flush thru radiator drain or engine block drain, or
>both?
>2. in step 6 what is the heater temp control? How do I place it in max heat
>position?
>3. what do they mean by step 8 - run until thermostat opens?
>4. are there any other important steps I am missing?
>
>thanks for any help
>Brian White

I have a question about step #2. Where is the "engine drain plug"?

I can't find any mention of it in the factory manual for my '99.
Old November 15th 05, 03:49 AM
Ken Lyons

"Natman" > wrote
> I have a question about step #2. Where is the "engine drain plug"?
> I can't find any mention of it in the factory manual for my '99.

Nor can I in both the '90 and '97 factory workshop manuals. I believe it
falls into the same category as the bogus #6 "Place heater temp control in
max heat position"...it's Haynes boilerplate that has nothing to do with the
Miata.
--
Ken Lyons '97 Brilliant Black/'90 Classic Red
Inside the Beltway

Old November 15th 05, 04:00 AM
Brian

Cool - so I can skip that step? Otherwise if I look for it and can't find
it I'll be looking forever.
Brian

Old November 15th 05, 07:26 AM
KWS

The idea is to allow the thermostat to open so coolant flows from that area
as well. This is done with the cap off. I would not suggest you put your
face over the opening, but I have never seen coolant "geyser" out.

When the cap is on, pressure builds up as the coolant gets hot. That's why
they don't want you opening the thing. Coolant will gush out, you might get
burnt and you will get coolant all over the radiator (and into the fan if
the car is running, which sprays it all around...ugh).

But that's not what you are doing. Since the cap is off, no pressure real
builds up. Once the thermostat opens, the coolant will swirl around. If it
starts overflowing the filler, then some will drain into the overflow jug
and it probably means you have enough in the system.

This is not to be confused with the excitement caused by removing the
radiator cap on a car that is overheating. In that case, there is a lot of
pressure and the aforementioned geyser is pretty much inevitable. That's
not what is happening here.

Best,

Ken

"Brian" > wrote in message
> So in step 8 when do you put the cap on? Once the thermostat reaches
> operating temperature, or before? I'm being careful about this as I don't
> want to go blind from getting sprayed by coolant in the eyes.
>
> > Steps six, seven and eight are sequential. Warm it up without the cap.
> > Refill to the filler neck after the level drops a bit and put the cap

on.

> > It is actually pretty easy, Brian. Hell, If I can do it...anyone can.
> >
> > Good luck.
> >
> > Ken
> >

> > "Brian" > wrote in message
> > > for step 3 - so force the water out the engine block drain first, then

> > close
> > > that and force it out through the radiator drain?
> > >
> > > for step 8 it says, and another guy in a later post said you leave the

> cap
> > > *off* while warming up the engine. In his post he even said to add

more
> > > coolant to radiator while car idles. Your post implies as it heats up

> the
> > > cap is *on*. Which is it?
> > >
> > > You guys also mentioned to change the coolant in the overflow

container.
> > Do
> > > you have to remove it to do that? It's kinda bolted in there I think.
> > >
> > > I understand the rest. Thanks for the help.
> > >
> > > Brian

> > > radiator

> sure

> > types
> > > is

> it
> > > and

coolant
> > > radiator

> notice
> > > when

> flowing.
> > > Keep

> radiator
> > > cap

you
> > > don't

> upper

close

Old November 15th 05, 07:30 AM
KWS

"Natman" > wrote in message
> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:40:52 GMT, "Brian"
> > wrote:
>
> >I have a 1996 Miata 1.8 L. I have never flushed and refilled coolant
> >(myself), so i'm looking for some guidance. I have Haynes manual for my
> >Miata.
> >Instructions a
> >1. drain coolant thru radiator drain
> >2. loosen engine block drain plug and drain coolant thru there
> >3. flush system
> >4. drain overflow reservoir
> >5. close rad. drain and engine block drain
> >6. Place heater temp control in max heat position
> >7. slowly add coolant till radiator is full
> >8. run car with radiator cap off until thermostat opens
> >9. turn car off and let cool
> >10. add more coolant to radiator to fill to top
> >11. replace radiator cap and start engine
> >12. allow to reach operating temp & check system
> >
> >My questions:
> >1. in step 3 do you flush thru radiator drain or engine block drain, or
> >both?
> >2. in step 6 what is the heater temp control? How do I place it in max

heat
> >position?
> >3. what do they mean by step 8 - run until thermostat opens?
> >4. are there any other important steps I am missing?
> >
> >thanks for any help
> >Brian White
> >

> I have a question about step #2. Where is the "engine drain plug"?
>
> I can't find any mention of it in the factory manual for my '99.

In my '90 it's on the bottom of the radiator. I don't know how this evolved
nine years later. I believe on some cars, they want you to slide off one
side of the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant. It's hard to do this
gracefully.

Ken

Old November 15th 05, 05:57 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.mazda.miata

On Mon, 14 Nov 2005 22:30:22 -0800, "KWS" >
wrote:

>"Natman" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sat, 12 Nov 2005 23:40:52 GMT, "Brian"
>> > wrote:
>>
>> >I have a 1996 Miata 1.8 L. I have never flushed and refilled coolant
>> >(myself), so i'm looking for some guidance. I have Haynes manual for my
>> >Miata.
>> >Instructions a
>> >1. drain coolant thru radiator drain
>> >2. loosen engine block drain plug and drain coolant thru there
>> >3. flush system
>> >4. drain overflow reservoir
>> >5. close rad. drain and engine block drain
>> >6. Place heater temp control in max heat position
>> >7. slowly add coolant till radiator is full
>> >8. run car with radiator cap off until thermostat opens
>> >9. turn car off and let cool
>> >10. add more coolant to radiator to fill to top
>> >11. replace radiator cap and start engine
>> >12. allow to reach operating temp & check system
>> >
>> >My questions:
>> >1. in step 3 do you flush thru radiator drain or engine block drain, or
>> >both?
>> >2. in step 6 what is the heater temp control? How do I place it in max

>heat
>> >position?
>> >3. what do they mean by step 8 - run until thermostat opens?
>> >4. are there any other important steps I am missing?
>> >
>> >thanks for any help
>> >Brian White
>> >

>> I have a question about step #2. Where is the "engine drain plug"?
>>
>> I can't find any mention of it in the factory manual for my '99.

>In my '90 it's on the bottom of the radiator. I don't know how this evolved
>nine years later. I believe on some cars, they want you to slide off one
>side of the lower radiator hose to drain the coolant. It's hard to do this
>gracefully.
>
>Ken

I believe what you are describing is mentioned in step 1 as the
"radiator drain". I know where that is.

It seems that this description is a generic "one size fits all" text,
not tailored for the Miata.