Flush Radiator

Old November 12th 05, 11:40 PM
Brian

Default Flush Radiator

I have a 1996 Miata 1.8 L. I have never flushed and refilled coolant
(myself), so i'm looking for some guidance. I have Haynes manual for my
Miata.
Instructions a
1. drain coolant thru radiator drain
2. loosen engine block drain plug and drain coolant thru there
3. flush system
4. drain overflow reservoir
5. close rad. drain and engine block drain
6. Place heater temp control in max heat position
7. slowly add coolant till radiator is full
8. run car with radiator cap off until thermostat opens
9. turn car off and let cool
10. add more coolant to radiator to fill to top
11. replace radiator cap and start engine
12. allow to reach operating temp & check system

My questions:
1. in step 3 do you flush thru radiator drain or engine block drain, or
both?
2. in step 6 what is the heater temp control? How do I place it in max heat
position?
3. what do they mean by step 8 - run until thermostat opens?
4. are there any other important steps I am missing?

thanks for any help
Brian White

Old November 13th 05, 04:12 AM
Chris D'Agnolo

Brian,

Before addressing any of your notes, just a reminder to use the right type
of coolant (I believe as long as it's the florescent yellow / green you're
ok) with the right mixture of water. I strongly believe in using distilled
water instead of tap water, generally it's a 50 / 50 ratio but on the
container it'll describe it based on your expected temperatures outside.

For step 3 I'd close the radiator drain and force water in thru the radiator
cap opening. Then I'd also open the radiator drain back up and make sure to
run plenty of water thru the radiator. Remember old coolant of most types is
a hazardous material, don't just run it down the storm sewer. Bottle it and
dispose of it properly.

In step 6, that's your cars heater they're talking about. I'd have the
control set to hot during flushing too I believe. Reason being, when you
crank up the heat control it opens the flow to flush the coolant thru your
heater core.

In step 8 you've got to run it till it get's up to full operating
temperature. At that point your thermostat opens and let's the coolant
circulate, doing it's job. If you note the temperature of the upper radiator
hose and keep track of it (by touch) as the car warms up, you'll notice when
it starts to get seriously hot. That'll show you it's open and flowing. Keep
in mind when they say check system this DOES NOT mean open the radiator cap
and check the level. It means to look around / under to make sure you don't
have any leaks (like forgetting to properly tighten a drain).

Two other things you can do that will help. One is to squeeze the upper
radiator hose real good a few times as you're getting the system close to
full of coolant, this can help push out and trapped air bubbles. Secondly
they don't say to add coolant to your overflow bottle, you do want to do
that. Once you're done you'll want to check your overflow bottle (after the
car is mostly / all cool) and add back up to the correct line. You might
have to repeat this process a couple times over the next few days to make
sure you're properly full-up.

Keep in mind that coolant splashes pretty bad, watch your eyes.

If you're as green as I'd like to be, I think you can now buy biodegradable
coolant, but I'm not for sure.

Good luck.

Chris
99BBB
92BB&T for sale

Old November 13th 05, 04:36 AM
pws

Chris D'Agnolo wrote:
> Brian,
>
> Before addressing any of your notes, just a reminder to use the right type
> of coolant (I believe as long as it's the florescent yellow / green you're
> ok) with the right mixture of water. I strongly believe in using distilled
> water instead of tap water, generally it's a 50 / 50 ratio but on the
> container it'll describe it based on your expected temperatures outside.
>
> For step 3 I'd close the radiator drain and force water in thru the radiator
> cap opening. Then I'd also open the radiator drain back up and make sure to
> run plenty of water thru the radiator. Remember old coolant of most types is
> a hazardous material, don't just run it down the storm sewer. Bottle it and
> dispose of it properly.
>
> In step 6, that's your cars heater they're talking about. I'd have the
> control set to hot during flushing too I believe. Reason being, when you
> crank up the heat control it opens the flow to flush the coolant thru your
> heater core.
>
> In step 8 you've got to run it till it get's up to full operating
> temperature. At that point your thermostat opens and let's the coolant
> circulate, doing it's job. If you note the temperature of the upper radiator
> hose and keep track of it (by touch) as the car warms up, you'll notice when
> it starts to get seriously hot. That'll show you it's open and flowing. Keep
> in mind when they say check system this DOES NOT mean open the radiator cap
> and check the level. It means to look around / under to make sure you don't
> have any leaks (like forgetting to properly tighten a drain).
>
> Two other things you can do that will help. One is to squeeze the upper
> radiator hose real good a few times as you're getting the system close to
> full of coolant, this can help push out and trapped air bubbles. Secondly
> they don't say to add coolant to your overflow bottle, you do want to do
> that. Once you're done you'll want to check your overflow bottle (after the
> car is mostly / all cool) and add back up to the correct line. You might
> have to repeat this process a couple times over the next few days to make
> sure you're properly full-up.
>
> Keep in mind that coolant splashes pretty bad, watch your eyes.
>
> If you're as green as I'd like to be, I think you can now buy biodegradable
> coolant, but I'm not for sure.
>
> Good luck.
>
> Chris
> 99BBB
> 92BB&T for sale

Good advice Chris,

Another thing, since he mentioned never having done it himself, at least
to this car, is to be certain that no animals can get to the coolant
before bottling it up.
Many animals, including pets, will drink it, and it is a terrible death
for most that do. He likely already knows this, but it is probably worth
mentioning just to be safe.

The other thing is, a lot of people store the fluid in water or milk
jugs until they dispose of it. I have a gallon jug full of used
antifreeze right now that would look just like lime juice to some children.

It is in the garage on a shelf until I can take it in, but I still have
it clearly marked "poison", with skull & crossbones and all, done with a
sharpie pen in big letters and the lid is also duct-taped on.

Pat
Old November 13th 05, 06:03 AM
KWS

"pws" > wrote in message
> [...]

> > 92BB&T for sale

> Good advice Chris,
>
> Another thing, since he mentioned never having done it himself, at least
> to this car, is to be certain that no animals can get to the coolant
> before bottling it up.
> Many animals, including pets, will drink it, and it is a terrible death
> for most that do. He likely already knows this, but it is probably worth
> mentioning just to be safe.
>
> The other thing is, a lot of people store the fluid in water or milk
> jugs until they dispose of it. I have a gallon jug full of used
> antifreeze right now that would look just like lime juice to some

children.

> It is in the garage on a shelf until I can take it in, but I still have
> it clearly marked "poison", with skull & crossbones and all, done with a
> sharpie pen in big letters and the lid is also duct-taped on.

Here is what my '90 shop manual says:

1. Remove radiator cap and loosen the drain plug
2. Drain coolant into suitable container
3. Flush the cooling system with water until all traces of color are gone;
let the system drain completely
4. Install the drain plug
5. Fill with proper amount and mixture of ethylene glycol based coolant by
referring to the mixture table (they mean % of water and coolant determined
by thermal protection required...i.e how low you want to go. This is
probably the same info on the coolant manufacturer's label)
6. Run the engine with the radiator cap removed, until the upper radiator
hose is hot
7. With the engine idling, add coolant to the radiator until it reaches the
bottom of the filler neck
8. Install the radiator cap

To this I will add a few comments:

o I always mix distilled water to the antifreeze to keep mineral crud out
of the system. Maybe it's overkill.
o Forget about turning the heater on. I understand that the water is always
circulating through the heater core in most modern cars. When you choose
cold air, it simply blocks off the warm air but does not restrict or stop
the coolant flow as in older cars. This is the way it works in my '90 Miata
for certain; probably yours as well.
o Also change the coolant in the overfill bottle; fill it at least half
full (I usually fill to the top limit line).
o After a couple of days, check the coolant level again both in the
overflow bottle and at the radiator cap (cold engine, of course). I find
that in most cars, there are little pockets of air that get displaced and
filled with coolant. I believe the Miata needed a little more coolant after
a short time.
o The comments about disposal and keeping children and animals away are
good advice

Ken

Old November 13th 05, 06:46 AM
Brian

for step 3 - so force the water out the engine block drain first, then close
that and force it out through the radiator drain?

for step 8 it says, and another guy in a later post said you leave the cap
*off* while warming up the engine. In his post he even said to add more
coolant to radiator while car idles. Your post implies as it heats up the
cap is *on*. Which is it?

You guys also mentioned to change the coolant in the overflow container. Do
you have to remove it to do that? It's kinda bolted in there I think.

I understand the rest. Thanks for the help.

Brian

Old November 13th 05, 03:26 PM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"Chris D'Agnolo" > wrote:

> Remember old coolant of most types is
> a hazardous material, don't just run it down the storm sewer. Bottle it and
> dispose of it properly.

The proper disposal method: if you're on a municipal sewer system, flush
it down the toilet. Ethylene glycol breaks down completely in normal
sewage treatment. If you call your local sewer company, this is what
they'll tell you to do. Definitely don't let it run into a storm sewer!

> In step 6, that's your cars heater they're talking about. I'd have the
> control set to hot during flushing too I believe. Reason being, when you
> crank up the heat control it opens the flow to flush the coolant thru your
> heater core.

In the Miata, coolant always runs through the heater core; you couldn't
turn it off if you wanted to. This step is irrelevant.

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 13th 05, 08:48 PM
KWS

Step 3 is a bit ambiguous. I did actually install a flush connector in line
with one of the heater hoses at one time. I suppose you could do that.
Another way of doing it would be to re-install the drain plug, fill the
system with water (car not running, of course) and let it drain again (and
again?). Maybe it's not all that critical.

Steps six, seven and eight are sequential. Warm it up without the cap.
Refill to the filler neck after the level drops a bit and put the cap on.

It is actually pretty easy, Brian. Hell, If I can do it...anyone can.

Good luck.

Ken

Old November 14th 05, 03:57 AM
The Millers

I don't think flushing it down the toilet is a proper method. It may be
where you live, but I don't think that applies everywhere.

If at all possible, recycle it -- contact local radiator repair shops and
see if they will take it off your hands the way AutoZone will take your used
motor oil, or store it for a time when your community hosts "Household
Hazardous Waste Collection" days.

Old November 14th 05, 05:22 AM
Lanny Chambers

In article >,
"The Millers" > wrote:

> I don't think flushing it down the toilet is a proper method. It may be
> where you live, but I don't think that applies everywhere.

That's possible. It's a good idea to call the local wastewater treatment
facility and ask. As a general rule, a few gallons of used glycol-water
coolant won't cause any problems, if flushed with plenty of plain water
(so flush the toilet twice). This does not apply to septic-tank sewage
systems, or to that one-holer out by the barn. It also doesn't apply to
bulk disposal by repair shops, or if the antifreeze is contaminated by
other substances (e.g., oil, heavy metals, radiator flushes).

Further, some states or municipalities may classify antifreeze as toxic
waste and require more stringent (read: expen$ive) disposal requirements
for political rather than scientific reasons. Presumably, folks living
in such places thought that was a good enough idea to vote for it, so
they'll get no sympathy from me. :-)

--
Lanny Chambers
'94C, St. Louis
Old November 14th 05, 11:32 PM
Brian

So in step 8 when do you put the cap on? Once the thermostat reaches
operating temperature, or before? I'm being careful about this as I don't
want to go blind from getting sprayed by coolant in the eyes.