55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

Old July 9th 08, 08:19 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving

Default 55 returning? It had better not-the dumbest law since Prohibition

On Jul 8, 7:01*pm, Eeyore >
wrote:
> > Eighty is wreakless driving. A lot of the drivers are too in-experienced and
> > ignorant of the rules of the road to drive that fast.

> SO TEACH THEM TO DRIVE PROPERLY !

Not that simple. Public roads, by being public, are open to people
with a wide variety of capability and attitudes. Since for most
people there is alternative to driving, that is necessary.

So that is why a motorist flying down a freeway must be prepared to
come up against a poor driving doing only 55.
Old July 10th 08, 05:47 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving

On Jul 9, 5:41*pm, Brent P > wrote:

> In Germany I found 90+mph was normal crusing on rural autobahns.

Well, about something closer to home, like Long Island, or the NJPK or
GSP above Middlesex county?
Old July 10th 08, 11:17 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Michael Angelo Ravera

On Jul 9, 12:16*pm, wrote:
> On Jul 9, 12:37*pm, Michael Angelo Ravera >
> wrote:
>
> > Even before the lifting of the hated 65 MPH limit, compliance data
> > showed that Arizona drivers averaged 82 MPH in good weather on rural
> > freeways. I wouldn't think that over half of Arizonans are reckless.
> > Fee Waybill and John McCain certainly aren't!

> The _average_ speed was 82? *Certainly on a rural wide open road
> people can go faster, but still that seems rather high.

That was a "good Weather" average number in rural Arizona. Probably on
I-10 towards New Mexico, but I'm guessing.
Old August 2nd 08, 04:44 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Eeyore

Brent P wrote:

> On 2008-07-08, Eeyore > wrote:
>
> > I have a totally CLEAN licence. Not a single endorsement on it EVER. That's
> > because I drive *safely*. Low speed DOES NOT ensure safety.

> A clean license has nothing to do with safety either. It just means you
> haven't been caught in a revenue trap or had a moron do something so
> stupid you couldn't compensate for it.

You can keep an eye out for the morons and I DO. If you're aware they usually
stand out like a sore thumb.

Graham

Old August 2nd 08, 06:06 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
US 71

>> A clean license has nothing to do with safety either. It just means you
>> haven't been caught in a revenue trap or had a moron do something so
>> stupid you couldn't compensate for it.

I got pulled over once near Jonesboro (AR) for suspicion of drunk driving. I
was driving a little hatchback car that was being blown all over the road by
a fierce crosswind. After the police got out of their car, they realized
"wow, it's windy out here". They questioned me, had the dog sniff the car,
then let me go.

Old August 3rd 08, 07:36 AM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
Brent P[_1_]

On 2008-08-02, Eeyore > wrote:

> Brent P wrote:
>
>> On 2008-07-08, Eeyore > wrote:
>>
>> > I have a totally CLEAN licence. Not a single endorsement on it EVER. That's
>> > because I drive *safely*. Low speed DOES NOT ensure safety.

>> A clean license has nothing to do with safety either. It just means you
>> haven't been caught in a revenue trap or had a moron do something so
>> stupid you couldn't compensate for it.

> You can keep an eye out for the morons and I DO. If you're aware they usually
> stand out like a sore thumb.

Until you have a choice between hitting the gas in a cop-infested area or
being rear-ended by the moron (hit the gas once to avoid a moron,
didn't exceed the speed limit, got pulled over by a cop, papers checked)

Old August 8th 08, 09:58 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Jul 10, 12:47*pm, wrote:
> On Jul 9, 5:41*pm, Brent P > wrote:
>
> > In Germany I found 90+mph was normal crusing on rural autobahns.

> Well, about something closer to home, like Long Island, or the NJPK or
> GSP above Middlesex county?

I've been tooling along the NJ turnpike before at 85 and had my doors
blown off by passing traffic. Including police officers. Haven't
been on it for a few years though, I don't know if it's changed or
not.

One thing I did notice was that lane discipline in NJ is far better
than I've been accustomed to down here in VA/MD/DC. That was very
pleasant.

nate
Old August 8th 08, 10:02 PM posted to misc.transport.road,rec.autos.driving
N8N

On Jul 6, 12:59*am, Brent P >
wrote:
> On 2008-07-06, > wrote:
>
> > Well if I'm correct the Interstates are designed for safe travel at 70
> > MPH in rural areas, that being the case, if 70 is safe, how is 80
> > reckless? *

> 70mph in the average 1950s sedan with bias-ply tires and 4 wheel manual
> drum brakes and manual steering.

How about a 50's "five passenger coupe"

Of course it does wear radial tires and has power steering (for now)
but still has manual drum brakes. drives fine at every speed i've had
it up to. Long as you don't drive like an a-hole the brakes are a non-
issue, they'll panic stop just as well as discs, they just won't do 5
or 6 in succession.

I am collecting parts to do a dual MC swap and could probably be
talked into a disc conversion fairly easily, if I found a used set of
brakes for cheap.

nate