Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 31st 05, 09:17 PM
L Sternn

On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 06:46:51 -0800, Scott en Aztlán
> wrote:

>On Wed, 30 Mar 2005 12:34:43 GMT, "Iggy" > wrote:
>
>>> Regardless of who the victim is, the punishment must fit the crime.
>>>
>>> This trooper's crime was rudeness and unprofessional behavior,
>>> resulting in some consternation on the part of the vicims. If we fired
>>> everyone every time they were rude or unprofessional, the unemployment
>>> rate would approach 100%.

>>You're an idiot.

>Leading off with an Ad Hominem attack == admission of defeat.
>
>I win, you lose.

You're incapable of addressing the point - you've lost, despite his
calling you an idiot.

Further, it was not an ad hominem attack because it was justified in
this instance.
Old March 31st 05, 09:18 PM
L Sternn

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:46:12 GMT, "Iggy" > wrote:

>> I win, you lose.
>>

>No...you don't.

Unfortunately, on usenet, "winning" and "losing" is usually a matter
of perception on the part of the person posting.
Old March 31st 05, 09:25 PM
Rob Kleinschmidt

L Sternn wrote:
> On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 00:46:12 GMT, "Iggy" > wrote:
>

> >> I win, you lose.
> >>

> >No...you don't.

> Unfortunately, on usenet, "winning" and "losing" is usually a matter
> of perception on the part of the person posting.

If you win every time you're called an idiot, then I'd say this
week's bigtime winner would probably be our new friend Hp.

Old April 7th 05, 11:03 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
news
> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:02:28 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>

>>"Tim Kreitz" > wrote in message
groups.com...

>>> Sign the petition to have him fired:
>>>
>>> <http://www.petitiononline.com/Peasley/petition.html>
>>>
>>> There are thousands of signatures thus far. Add yours and pass the URL
>>> along.
>>>
>>> My article:
>>> <http://superbikeblog.blogspot.com/2005/03/attention-motorcyclists-cops-only-care.html>

>>Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
>>already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your
>>cause,
>>there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a spotless
>>record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for making an
>>inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

> We should expect MOST cops to have "spotless records".

I agree. Most do, and this is one of them.

> Are you saying we should reward him just because this is the first
> time he ever did something serious enough to be reprimanded?

I never said to reward him at all.

> In most professions, a "spotless record" isn't something to brag about
> - it's just something that's expected.

Agreed.

--
---
jaybird

Old April 7th 05, 11:10 PM
Skip Elliott Bowman

"jaybird" > wrote in message
news

> "L Sternn" > wrote in message
> news
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:02:28 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>

>>>"Tim Kreitz" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
>>>already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your
>>>cause,
>>>there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a spotless
>>>record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for making an
>>>inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

>> We should expect MOST cops to have "spotless records".

> I agree. Most do, and this is one of them.
>

>> Are you saying we should reward him just because this is the first
>> time he ever did something serious enough to be reprimanded?

> I never said to reward him at all.
>

>> In most professions, a "spotless record" isn't something to brag about
>> - it's just something that's expected.

> Agreed.

I believe in rewarding someone for a job well done.

What does "spotless" mean: no citizen complaints, no IAB investigations, no
shootings of unarmed suspects, regardless of the outcomes?

Old April 8th 05, 01:06 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:03:00 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:

>"L Sternn" > wrote in message
>news
>> On Sat, 26 Mar 2005 07:02:28 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>>

>>>"Tim Kreitz" > wrote in message
egroups.com...

>>>Is there another one somewhere supporting the disciplinary action he's
>>>already received as being adequate? I'm not trying to undermine your
>>>cause,
>>>there are just some of us who think an 18 year veteran with a spotless
>>>record should be disciplined rather than asked to resign for making an
>>>inappropriate comment and action by hanging up on the caller.

>> We should expect MOST cops to have "spotless records".

>I agree. Most do, and this is one of them.

Then why are you harping on his spotless record?

>> Are you saying we should reward him just because this is the first
>> time he ever did something serious enough to be reprimanded?

>I never said to reward him at all.

You didn't use the word "reward" but you did say we should go easy on
him because of his "spotless record".

Old April 8th 05, 01:12 AM
L Sternn

On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:10:34 GMT, "Skip Elliott Bowman"
> wrote:

>>> In most professions, a "spotless record" isn't something to brag about
>>> - it's just something that's expected.

>> Agreed.

>I believe in rewarding someone for a job well done.
>
>What does "spotless" mean: no citizen complaints, no IAB investigations, no
>shootings of unarmed suspects, regardless of the outcomes?

That's a good question. I suspect the union would never allow any of
those things to mar a cop's record unless the complaint had led to a
reprimand, the IAB investigations led to at least a reprimand and the
he was convicted of a crime in a shooting (which almost NEVER
happens).

OTOH, when it comes to citizens, they like to talk about arrest
records and incidents which don't even result in any arrest.

Old April 8th 05, 06:06 PM
jaybird

"L Sternn" > wrote in message
> On Thu, 07 Apr 2005 22:03:00 GMT, "jaybird" > wrote:
>

>>"L Sternn" > wrote in message
>>news

legroups.com...

>>> We should expect MOST cops to have "spotless records".

>>I agree. Most do, and this is one of them.

> Then why are you harping on his spotless record?

Not harping, just pointing it out. It is what we would call a "clue" if you
were trying to form an opinion of his pattern of behavior.

>>> Are you saying we should reward him just because this is the first
>>> time he ever did something serious enough to be reprimanded?

>>I never said to reward him at all.

> You didn't use the word "reward" but you did say we should go easy on
> him because of his "spotless record".

You sure do like to put words in my mouth. I said that I thought his
punishment was fine, firing him would be excessive, and his record shows no
previous disciplinary action so we know this is not a pattern.

--
---
jaybird

Old April 8th 05, 06:09 PM
jaybird

"Skip Elliott Bowman" > wrote in message
ink.net...
> "jaybird" > wrote in message
> news
>>
>> "L Sternn" > wrote in message
>> news

legroups.com...

>>> We should expect MOST cops to have "spotless records".

>> I agree. Most do, and this is one of them.
>>

>>> Are you saying we should reward him just because this is the first
>>> time he ever did something serious enough to be reprimanded?

>> I never said to reward him at all.
>>

>>> In most professions, a "spotless record" isn't something to brag about
>>> - it's just something that's expected.

>> Agreed.

> I believe in rewarding someone for a job well done.
>
> What does "spotless" mean: no citizen complaints, no IAB investigations,
> no shootings of unarmed suspects, regardless of the outcomes?

Citizen complaints, IA investigations, shootings and such all are documented
but if the incidents are unfounded or false then they don't effect the
personnel record.

--
---
jaybird

Old April 9th 05, 03:20 PM
SheBlewHimDidYouBlowHim

this is a prime example of why we need to kill every ****ing pig on this
planet.
I wonder what would happen if I said "too bad" when a cop tried to pull me
over and give me a speeding ticket.
the only good traffic cop is a DEAD traffic cop.
kill all traffic cops, kill them all.