Should this trooper be fired?

Old March 28th 05, 05:33 AM
DTJ

On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:33:27 -0800, The Real Bev
> wrote:

>The dispatcher's action is the same whether the biker died or not.
>Somebody screamed HELP US and the jerk whose job it was to provide help
>hung up on him because he disapproved of motorcycle riders. ***If***
>the rider had died as a result of this action, what should the
>dispatcher's penalty be?

I think I know where you are going with this, but, as I said, it is
irrelevant. The same action should occur no matter what, because it
was the behavior that was wrong, irrespective of the end result.
There are only two possible actions that would suffice - fire the
asshole, or fire the asshole and string him up.
Old March 28th 05, 05:35 AM
DTJ

On Mon, 28 Mar 2005 00:53:50 GMT, "RLK"
dashes_> wrote:

>> BTW, I once had a cop admonish me for riding without a helmet. I showed
>> him
>> the strap remaining in the helmet lock, which some asshole cut to steal my
>> helmet. It's possible to be riding without a helmet, but not by choice
>> (the cop was very cool, he asked me what kind of helmet, what it cost,
>> commiserated a bit, asked me where I lived to verify I was headed home,
>> and
>> wished me a nice day).

>Very cool. These are the stories I like to hear about. These are the people
>in the public service (officers, road testers, driving instructors etc) who
>like what they do for a living and have respect for the people they come
>into contact everyday.

Yes, all three of them.
Old March 28th 05, 07:06 AM
The Real Bev

G W Shrub wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:
>
> > > The trooper dispatched rescue promptly.

> > So they tell us. Anybody here actually see what happened?
> >
> > > I wonder what he knows of happenings on that road?

> > My question, however, involved a "what if?"

> He was wrong, but even cops get ****ed off at idiots.

Well, I guess the guy who placed the 911 call to the jerk in question
actually was an idiot, a smart guy would have called somebody else.

Or did you mean something completely different?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 28th 05, 07:08 AM
The Real Bev

DTJ wrote:

> On Sun, 27 Mar 2005 15:33:27 -0800, The Real Bev
> > wrote:
>
> >The dispatcher's action is the same whether the biker died or not.
> >Somebody screamed HELP US and the jerk whose job it was to provide help
> >hung up on him because he disapproved of motorcycle riders. ***If***
> >the rider had died as a result of this action, what should the
> >dispatcher's penalty be?

> I think I know where you are going with this, but, as I said, it is
> irrelevant. The same action should occur no matter what, because it
> was the behavior that was wrong, irrespective of the end result.
> There are only two possible actions that would suffice - fire the
> asshole, or fire the asshole and string him up.

Yeah, but that doesn't count because you agree with me. I want to know
what somebody who defends him would think a proper punishment if the
guy's cavalier behavior actually resulted in a death.

Old March 28th 05, 07:20 AM
G W Shrub

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> G W Shrub wrote:

> > He was wrong, but even cops get ****ed off at idiots.

> Well, I guess the guy who placed the 911 call to the jerk in question
> actually was an idiot, a smart guy would have called somebody else.
>
> Or did you mean something completely different?

I meant that cops do get tired of scraping brains off roads after idiots
have gone racing there for the twentieth time.

--
GW

Old March 28th 05, 07:20 AM
G W Shrub

"The Real Bev" > wrote in message

> Yeah, but that doesn't count because you agree with me. I want to know
> what somebody who defends him would think a proper punishment if the
> guy's cavalier behavior actually resulted in a death.

Or when the 911 operator falls asleep half way through the call?

--
GW

Old March 28th 05, 07:55 AM
The Real Bev

G W Shrub wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote in message
> > G W Shrub wrote:

> > > He was wrong, but even cops get ****ed off at idiots.

> > Well, I guess the guy who placed the 911 call to the jerk in question
> > actually was an idiot, a smart guy would have called somebody else.
> >
> > Or did you mean something completely different?

> I meant that cops do get tired of scraping brains off roads after idiots
> have gone racing there for the twentieth time.

Part of the job. They weren't drafted, were they? What, did they think
they were going to spend their professional lives rescuing kittens from
trees like firemen?

Why is nobody willing to admit that if the dispatcher's actions had
actually caused the death he would have to face SOME sort of charge in
addition to being canned?

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 28th 05, 07:58 AM
The Real Bev

G W Shrub wrote:

> "The Real Bev" > wrote:
>
> > Yeah, but that doesn't count because you agree with me. I want to know
> > what somebody who defends him would think a proper punishment if the
> > guy's cavalier behavior actually resulted in a death.

> Or when the 911 operator falls asleep half way through the call?

Do you see a difference? Some people are just not allowed to **** up in
cheesy neglectful ways when a ****up means death or injury to
others.

--
Cheers,
Bev
Old March 28th 05, 09:04 AM
jaybird

"John David Galt" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>> Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>> disciplinary action. I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any
>> profession with that record, just based on a comment.

> It's not just a comment, there's a tape of the two 911 calls to prove it.
> And having heard the tapes I'd fire his ass in a heartbeat.

Well I'm glad you're not the boss then. )

--
---
jaybird

Old March 28th 05, 09:05 AM
jaybird

"Alex Hernandez" > wrote in message
> jaybird wrote:
>>
>> Of course he shouldn't be fired. He's an 18 year veteran with no prior
>> disciplinary action.

> Any disciplinary action would be part of his confidential
> personnel record and we would never know what "type"
> of person he really is. I can't believe you would honestly
> believe ANY cop has a spotless record. Just how stupid
> are you?

Personnel records containing disciplinary action and/or commendations are
not confidential and can be accessed through the Freedom of Information Act.

> I wouldn't wish a firing on anyone in any profession
>> with that record, just based on a comment.
>>
>> jaybird

> Did you hear the tape? I know several cops who believe
> he should be fired!

And I know several more who think the opposite.

--
---
jaybird