Do VW steel wheels or alloy wheels weigh more?

Old December 31st 04, 08:30 PM
Rob Guenther

My 15" Alloys on my GLS feel lighter then the 15" steels on my dad's CL...
but not by all that much.

Since when does a Golf come with 16" steel wheels? (Did you upgrade?).... I
didn't think they were even using 16" alloys unless you went with a GTI
model.

195/65 R15 is the typical tire size on a Golf - which would be fitted to a
15" rim.
ink.net...

Old December 31st 04, 09:15 PM
Fred Fartalot

Yes, I know Golfs come standard with 15 inch wheels in the US and Canada -
mine were upgraded to 16 inch German wheels.

Yes, I know the original intent of alloy wheels was light weight and this is
a marketing angle for selling them and that lots of alloy wheels are
actually heavier than the steel wheels they replace.

Yes, I know alloy wheels are more prone to damage and cost more than steel
wheels and might be hard to replace in kind if needed down the road.

Thanks for the replies so far and its all interesting, but who will finally
get the big prize for answering my question?

Fred

Old December 31st 04, 09:15 PM
Fred Fartalot

Old January 1st 05, 12:28 AM
Joseph Meehan

Fred Fartalot wrote:

> Thanks for the replies so far and its all interesting, but who will
> finally get the big prize for answering my question?
>
> Fred

I believe I answered it correctly "I think that may depend on the
particular alloy wheels you are talking
about."

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 1st 05, 12:28 AM
Joseph Meehan

Old January 1st 05, 02:03 AM
Fred Fartalot

"16 inch alloy RAVE wheels" These are OEM VW wheels. I believe this is
specific in that it describes a single type of wheel with one unique weight.

See:
http://drivergear.vw.com/store/acces...duct%5Fid=2088

Similarly, I believe there is only one type of OEM 16 inch steel wheel for a
2004 VW Golf that has one unique weight associated with it.

Looks like I may have stumped the ng here! (may just have to take off one
of my wheels, remove tire, weigh it, order a new wheel from VW on the
condition I will be able to return if if it weighs more than my steel wheel,
weigh it and then decide whether to order three more wheels which was my
original plan after stumping the VW guys)

Fred

Old January 1st 05, 02:03 AM
Fred Fartalot

Old January 1st 05, 02:33 AM
Tom Levigne

"Fred Fartalot" > wrote in message
ink.net...

> I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004 Golf
> with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.
>
> Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?
>
> I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it and I
> never got an answer and finally just left.
>
> Thank you.
>

> maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

Odds are that VW doesn't publish the weight of its alloy wheels or give this
info to employees in order to perpetuate the public myth that they are
lighter weight than standard wheels!

Old January 1st 05, 02:33 AM
Tom Levigne

Old January 1st 05, 05:54 AM

My 14" GTI alloy wheels with 185x14 tires weighed less than 13" steel
wheels with 185s. Some alloy wheels are light and some are heavy. It
looks like those wheels are less than 28 lbs. You can remove one of
your wheels and weigh it. The only mystery is how much the tire you
choose will weigh.

"Fred Fartalot" > wrote:

>Yes, I know Golfs come standard with 15 inch wheels in the US and Canada -
>mine were upgraded to 16 inch German wheels.
>
>Yes, I know the original intent of alloy wheels was light weight and this is
>a marketing angle for selling them and that lots of alloy wheels are
>actually heavier than the steel wheels they replace.
>
>Yes, I know alloy wheels are more prone to damage and cost more than steel
>wheels and might be hard to replace in kind if needed down the road.
>
>Thanks for the replies so far and its all interesting, but who will finally
>get the big prize for answering my question?
>
>Fred
>

>"Fred Fartalot" > wrote in message
link.net...

>> I am thinking of replacing the stock 16 inch steel wheels on my 2004 Golf
>> with 16 inch alloy RAVE wheels.
>>
>> Will the new alloy wheels be heavier or lighter weight?
>>
>> I asked the VW dealer last week and the 2 guys there argued about it and I
>> never got an answer and finally just left.
>>
>> Thank you.
>>

>> maybe the weigh exactly the same?....

Jim B.