Dell 2407 or Matrox Triplehead2go?

Old February 2nd 07, 08:02 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

Default Dell 2407 or Matrox Triplehead2go?

I saw a Dell 2407 monitor and i was really impressed by it. It has positive
reviews but it costs as much as a Triplehead2go and two 19 inches
monitors...

What would you choose?

Old February 2nd 07, 08:37 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators

On Feb 2, 3:02 pm, "Bob Loblaw" > wrote:
> I saw a Dell 2407 monitor and i was really impressed by it. It has positive
> reviews but it costs as much as a Triplehead2go and two 19 inches
> monitors...
>
> What would you choose?

That Dell monitor looks pretty sweet! I've looked at 19" widescreens
and thought; if I could get my nose up close enough to that screen I
could probably live with it compared to a TH2Go.

The TH2Go will still give you a wider field of view. The main
drawbacks are the bezels between the screens. They are not what I
would call a problem, but they are noticeable while driving, are
definitely a disadvantage. Plus, you have to skew the horizontal
image position and width on the monitors to get smooth motion between
screens. Otherwise objects "jump" between screens, which I find very
annoying. Also, once you've skewed the images to ge a good driving
view, the edges of the menues are off the edge of the display.

If my sim-racing setup allowed the Dell monitor to be set up directly
behind my steering wheel, say, 3 or 4 inches from my hands, I'd be
tempted to go with the single 24" monitor. If the monitor will be
more than a foot or two behind the steering wheel then the TH2Go
starts looking better.

Pat

Old February 4th 07, 07:59 PM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Talon

Triple head to go for my money. While the Dell panel is nice, I'm not sure
how it would look with sim resolutions outside of it's native resolution.
The TH2G will allow you to get 3840x1024 and give you a much broader,
immersive field of view. I have one and couldn't drive without it now. I'm
setup on 3 19's and it is fantastic in GTR, GTR2 and Nascar 2003.

Old February 5th 07, 05:04 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Bob Loblaw

"Talon" > wrote in message
> Triple head to go for my money. While the Dell panel is nice, I'm not
> sure how it would look with sim resolutions outside of it's native
> resolution. The TH2G will allow you to get 3840x1024 and give you a much
> broader, immersive field of view. I have one and couldn't drive without
> it now. I'm setup on 3 19's and it is fantastic in GTR, GTR2 and Nascar
> 2003.

My concern is that if the ATI R600 is faster than the Nvidia 8800, i'm
screwed because they haven't fixed the Triplehead2go problem with ATI cards
and it doesn't look like they ever will.

Old February 5th 07, 11:09 AM posted to rec.autos.simulators
Talon

"Bob Loblaw" > wrote in message

> "Talon" > wrote in message
>> Triple head to go for my money. While the Dell panel is nice, I'm not
>> sure how it would look with sim resolutions outside of it's native
>> resolution. The TH2G will allow you to get 3840x1024 and give you a much
>> broader, immersive field of view. I have one and couldn't drive without
>> it now. I'm setup on 3 19's and it is fantastic in GTR, GTR2 and Nascar
>> 2003.
>>

> My concern is that if the ATI R600 is faster than the Nvidia 8800, i'm
> screwed because they haven't fixed the Triplehead2go problem with ATI
> cards and it doesn't look like they ever will.

Your right. Currently, the ATI is not the way to go if you want to use any
reasonable resolution with the TH2G. I don't know what the hold up is and
if it is ATI or Matrox but neither of them historically have been very
willing to yield. For me however, the immersion of the wideview made it an
easy decision. I would gladly give up 5 to 10 frames to the ATI card to
have an Nvidia card with the TH2G. Bear in mind however, I'm coming from a
Matrox Parhelia so anything seems fast...lol.