All the oil ran out of my new 2007 CR-V !!

Old December 14th 06, 08:48 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Red Cloud

Default New engine option ?

Dave and Trudy wrote:
> "Chuck Connell" > wrote in message
> >I have not yet heard back from the dealer, about their intended resolution.
> >I am now driving a rental, which they are paying for. If the dealer offers
> >to install a new engine, I am wondering if I should accept it... It seems
> >pretty complicated to me to replace the whole engine, with all of its many
> >interconnections, and do it as well as the engine in a new car.
> >
> > Thoughts on whether I could trust a dealer to do this right?
> >
> > Chuck

> Chuck,
> I wonder why you think you are entitled to a new engine let alone a new car?
> I believe that you should make your decision based on what the dealer finds
> with your present car. If it was a manufacturing defect or a construction
> mistake, then I would agree that you should be entitled to a new engine. If
> it turns out that your problem resulted from damage caused by a road hazard,
> such as a hole in the oil pan or something striking the filter and
> dislodging it then the situation is completely different. To illustrate; if
> you bought a new battery for your car, and during installation you dropped
> the battery and knocked a hole in it, would you expect a replacement under
> warranty? I don't think so. Furthermore, you exacerbated the situation by
> continuing to drive the vehicle after the idiot light illuminated. If they
> really wish to do so, Honda can argue that you are responsible, at least in
> part, for damage to the engine. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I
> agree with that position, rather I am simply pointing out to you what may
> come down the pike. I would prepare myself for all contingencies and have
> arguments to counter them. As far as accepting a new engine, definitely! A
> new engine, installed by the dealership, should carry the same warranty as
> the original engine. In any case, good luck and I hope this all works out
> for the best for you.
>
> DaveD

He should get new engine if not get a new car even if the fault is on
the driver.
If this happens to Hyundai, with Hyundai aggressive service will
replace new engine based on Hyundia's 5 years or 100,000 miles
guarantee.

Old December 14th 06, 02:28 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuck Connell

Default My letter to the dealer

Based on the fact that I drove the car for 4-5 days, with the engine dry
(or nearly dry) of oil, I am asking Honda for a new car or factory-new
engine. Here is the letter I just faxed to the dealer....

+++++++++++++++++++++

Notes about 2007 CR-V Oil Loss
December 12, 2006
Chuck Connell, 781-939-0505
Car purchased from Herb Chambers Honda

Driving home from work last night, about 2-3 miles from home, I thought I
saw a light flicker on the dashboard. I looked, but saw nothing. I
continued to drive. I saw another flicker, looked again, and just saw the
oil light go out. I continued to drive. The light came on again, and then
went off. I was now about one mile from home. I continued home, and checked
the dip stick as soon as I got there. It was hard to read in the dark, and
I had just stopped the engine, but it appeared low. I added a quart of oil.

I drove my daughter to dance class (5 miles total) without the oil light
coming on. I checked the dipstick when I got home anyway. It appeared low,
so I added another quart of oil and parked the car for the night.

This morning, I checked the dipstick. The oil was completely off the stick,
or perhaps just a drop at the bottom. I added two quarts, bringing the oil
level up to full (2nd hole in the stick). The crankcase had been down four
quarts of oil. I drove directly to the dealer, about 6 miles.

Looking back, the leak started at least 5 days earlier.

- There are two large oil spots in my driveway. One where the CRV
was parked, and another at the entrance to the driveway. I saw both of
these over the previous weekend, but did not imagine they were from my new
car. The first one, I assumed was from my 10-year-old Saturn which had a
large transmission leak a few months ago. The second one, I assumed was
from another car that had visited our house or turned around in the
driveway. The driveway is black and old, so it is not obvious when a new
oil spot appears.

- There are two oil spots at my office parking lot, where I parked
my CRV the previous week. I remember where I parked because I had backed my
car in there, so that a glass company could easily fix the front
windshield, which had been cracked by a stone.

I now realize that the engine was dry of oil for 4-5 days, or more. When I
started the car those mornings, it started slowly, as if the battery were
low. I thought, at the time, that this seemed strange. Why would a new
battery be sluggish? But the car started, and ran fine, so I dismissed it.
I now understand that the reason the battery seemed weak is because the
engine was dry and not lubricated. This period covers at least 8-10 dry
starts, because each day I started it again after work, after 9 hours of
non-use.

-- END --

Old December 14th 06, 04:01 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_8_]

My advice is to see a product liability lawyer, aka lemon law lawyer, to see
if you have any hope of getting something here. As an amateur, my opinion
is that the letter should have said, what you want.

Earle

Old December 14th 06, 04:36 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Earle Horton wrote:
> My advice is to see a product liability lawyer, aka lemon law lawyer, to see
> if you have any hope of getting something here. As an amateur, my opinion
> is that the letter should have said, what you want.

Depending on your state's laws, you may need to prove both loss of
value and impaired use. But the car still drives and you can't show
any damages right now -- from what you've said so far. No, mental
anguish doesn't count.

A few momentary flickers won't do any damage. That would mean that you
generally had pressure and everything may be okay. I don't think Honda
will fault a driver for not pulling over if there were just minimal
flickering.

On the other hand, a minute of cruising at zero pressure, or much less
at high rpm, will terminate the bearing surfaces of the connecting rods
with extreme prejudice. These are the very first internals to go.
After that, internal failures are random. You can't inspect the rod
bearings without a complete teardown. I would NEVER trust the dealer
to do such a job. They're much better at removing an engine and
replacing as a unit.

I doubt you did any damage whatsoever. I would ask for an extended
warranty agreement and leave the engine in there. Would I be happy?
Not really. I would worry more about loose connections or other damage
if the engine is pulled out, though.

As far as good customer relations, Honda really should just replace the
car. They can sell yours for a couple of thousand off and chalk it up
to goodwill. I have been surprised in the past by their willingness to
bend over, so do your talking with the Honda representative, NOT the
dealer. Ask the dealer how to make an appointment, or get on the phone
with Honda. Now.

Old December 14th 06, 06:44 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Chuck Connell" > wrote in
:

<snip>

Chuck, while I sympathize with your problem and have been following this
thread with interest, I must point up something nobody has as yet: It is
poor procedure to keep changing the Subject line with each message. Some
newsreaders have fits with changing Subject lines.

The subject line should stay the same throughout the thread unless the
suject changes enough to send the thread off-topic, which this one has not.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old December 14th 06, 08:33 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuck Connell

OK. Sorry. I am using a graphical reader, which displays the whole thread
nicely indented as appropriate. So changing subject lines is helpful
sometimes in that case.

Chuck

Old December 14th 06, 08:35 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuck Connell

Default All the oil ran out of my new 2007 CR-V !!

The dealer (and Honda corporate) has come back with their latest offer...
No new car, no new engine, but a 7 year / 100K warranty. I am thinking
about it.... Comments?

Chuck

et...

Old December 14th 06, 11:11 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
tww

"Chuck Connell" > wrote in message
et...
> The dealer (and Honda corporate) has come back with their latest offer...
> No new car, no new engine, but a 7 year / 100K warranty. I am thinking
> about it.... Comments?
>
> Chuck

Not surprised. Figured they would fix it rather than replace the engine or
the car. The bad part about this is if there is failure at an inopportune
time -- on a trip somewhere -- you are inconvenienced considerably.

Old December 14th 06, 11:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
BlackGT2000[_13_]

I would try for the motor still.

--
BlackGT2000
BlackGT2000's Profile: http://www.automotiveforums.com/vbul...?userid=336868

http://www.automotiveforums.com

Old December 15th 06, 12:41 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Michael Pardee

Default Update -- it was the crank seal

"Red Cloud" > wrote in message
oups.com...

> Chuck Connell wrote:
>> Just got off the phone with the service rep at the dealer (Herb Chambers
>> in
>> Burlington MA). The crank seal was blown. The oil was pumping onto the
>> ground as the engine ran. He said "it looks like everything is OK inside
>> the engine". I said there is no way to know that without putting the
>> crankshaft and cylinder walls under a microscope. He more or less agreed.
>>
>> I said that I want a new car, and he agreed to escalate this to his
>> manager.
>>
>> Chuck

> Wow! Already engine trouble on brand new cars??? Wow! Way too early.
>
> I bet that Hyundai dealer will exchange with a new car.

It would be a real scandal if there were a lot of these, but this is the
first one I've heard of in the five years or so I've been here. Of course it
is most likely a failure of the seal itself, and it's a good bet Hyundai
gets their seals from the same vendor, for the same reasons Honda buys from
them.

Few dealers would want to exchange the entire car; I doubt the Hyundai
dealers are as foolish as you suggest. (You wouldn't do that, would you?)
Infancy failures are legion - that's why warranties exist, you know - and
they are usually handled on the concept of the "FRU" (field replaceable
unit). In this case the unit is the engine, because the whole car isn't
riddled with defects. A new car would mean the customer is exposed to being
the field tester for a whole new vehicle again, with the increased risk of
failures that implies.

Mike

2007 Civic EX vs. 2004 Accord EX planetx Honda 13 February 2nd 07 09:00 PM
2006 or 2007 Miata [email protected] Mazda 19 September 9th 06 10:48 PM
2006 OR 2007 RUBICON? INDIVIDUAL Jeep 19 July 4th 06 03:09 AM
2007 Honda CRV: Wither the SUV? Redleathers Honda 3 July 3rd 06 05:24 PM
2007 Shelby Mustang GT500 Engine Failures? Tony Alonso Ford Mustang 0 April 30th 06 05:33 AM