All the oil ran out of my new 2007 CR-V !!

Old December 12th 06, 08:40 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuck Connell

Default I will post the outcome. Current status is that dealer paid for a rental, which I just picked up.

Chuck

Old December 13th 06, 03:22 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Flatlander47

Default Update -- it was the crank seal

"MLD" > wrote:

>>"Chuck Connell" > wrote in message
>>news:H9ydnQs6EZfOfOPYnZ2dnUVZ_oytnZ2d@conversent .net...
>>> Just got off the phone with the service rep at the dealer (Herb Chambers

>>in
>>> Burlington MA). The crank seal was blown. The oil was pumping onto the
>>> ground as the engine ran. He said "it looks like everything is OK inside
>>> the engine". I said there is no way to know that without putting the
>>> crankshaft and cylinder walls under a microscope. He more or less agreed.
>>>
>>> I said that I want a new car, and he agreed to escalate this to his
>>> manager.
>>>
>>> Chuck
>>>

>>Glad that the source of the problem has been identified---don't let them
>>blow you off. Peruse with Honda for a new car. If that doesn't work be a
>>nice guy and settle for a new engine. No luck, go for an engine teardown
>>and have the rings, valve seals and whatever inspected/replaced. They put 4
>>qts of oil in the car because that's what it needs--you ran with a lot
>>less--hard to imagine you got away damage free and you don't want it to
>>haunt you for the life of the car. I am in the same area and might buy from
>>that dealer so would you post how this all ends?
>>MLD

Yeah, what he said. And if you don't get satisfaction on at least a new
engine, contact your local Attorney General's consumer protection office. I
don't know how things are out there, but here in Kansas they're pretty
proactive at pursuing such things.
Old December 13th 06, 01:19 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuck Connell

Default New engine option ?

I have not yet heard back from the dealer, about their intended resolution.
I am now driving a rental, which they are paying for. If the dealer offers
to install a new engine, I am wondering if I should accept it... It seems
pretty complicated to me to replace the whole engine, with all of its many
interconnections, and do it as well as the engine in a new car.

Thoughts on whether I could trust a dealer to do this right?

Chuck

Old December 13th 06, 02:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Frank Boettcher

On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:02:56 -0500, "Chuck Connell"
> wrote:

>Just got off the phone with the service rep at the dealer (Herb Chambers in
>Burlington MA). The crank seal was blown. The oil was pumping onto the
>ground as the engine ran. He said "it looks like everything is OK inside
>the engine". I said there is no way to know that without putting the
>crankshaft and cylinder walls under a microscope. He more or less agreed.
>
>I said that I want a new car, and he agreed to escalate this to his
>manager.
>
>Chuck

I'm curious. Did they indicate the cause of the crank seal failure.
I've never heard of one failing catastrophically like you describe.

Frank
Old December 13th 06, 03:27 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
MLD

"Chuck Connell" > wrote in message
> I have not yet heard back from the dealer, about their intended

resolution.
> I am now driving a rental, which they are paying for. If the dealer offers
> to install a new engine, I am wondering if I should accept it... It seems
> pretty complicated to me to replace the whole engine, with all of its many
> interconnections, and do it as well as the engine in a new car.
>
> Thoughts on whether I could trust a dealer to do this right?
>
> Chuck

Go after a new car; right now your Dealer should be your advocate since any
major decision will come from Honda (since it was their new car that
experienced a mechanical failure). The Dealer will get paid to do whatever
Honda recommends so I don't think that he would be worried about his costs .
If Honda will not replace the car ( fall over in surprise if they do) then
I think that you will be doing well if you're offered a new engine. That
should be the minimum offer, I just wouldn't want the one that's in there
now. Inspection and replacement of some components may not get all the
potential areas of trouble. I'd be concerned too about all the teardown and
reassembly involved in a replacement but it's doable and much of the same
teardown occurs if they were just inspecting/replacing the innards of the
engine. Keep us updated as this is will be a good insight as to how that
Dealer and Honda will respond.
MLD

Old December 13th 06, 04:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Earle Horton[_8_]

"Frank Boettcher" > wrote in message
> On Tue, 12 Dec 2006 12:02:56 -0500, "Chuck Connell"
> > wrote:
>
> >Just got off the phone with the service rep at the dealer (Herb
> >Chambers in Burlington MA). The crank seal was blown. The
> >oil was pumping onto the ground as the engine ran. He said "it
> >looks like everything is OK inside the engine". I said there is no
> >way to know that without putting the crankshaft and cylinder
> >walls under a microscope. He more or less agreed.
> >
> >I said that I want a new car, and he agreed to escalate this to his
> >manager.
> >
> >Chuck
> >

> I'm curious. Did they indicate the cause of the crank seal failure.
> I've never heard of one failing catastrophically like you describe.

Any part can fail. Honda engines aren't perfect, they just have a lower
failure rate than some of the competition. I would be interested to see if
this fellow gets a new car or even a new engine. I am thinking maybe they
drop the pan, plastigage some bearings, take a compression test, and tell
him all is well. Then it is up to him to keep track of oil consumption to
see it anything has really been damaged.

Earle

Old December 13th 06, 06:37 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Chuck Connell

They did not tell me why the seal failed. I suspect that they don't know.
It was just blown, with oil pouring out of it.

Chuck

Old December 13th 06, 11:07 PM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave and Trudy

"Chuck Connell" > wrote in message
>I have not yet heard back from the dealer, about their intended resolution.
>I am now driving a rental, which they are paying for. If the dealer offers
>to install a new engine, I am wondering if I should accept it... It seems
>pretty complicated to me to replace the whole engine, with all of its many
>interconnections, and do it as well as the engine in a new car.
>
> Thoughts on whether I could trust a dealer to do this right?
>
> Chuck

Chuck,
I wonder why you think you are entitled to a new engine let alone a new car?
I believe that you should make your decision based on what the dealer finds
with your present car. If it was a manufacturing defect or a construction
mistake, then I would agree that you should be entitled to a new engine. If
it turns out that your problem resulted from damage caused by a road hazard,
such as a hole in the oil pan or something striking the filter and
dislodging it then the situation is completely different. To illustrate; if
you bought a new battery for your car, and during installation you dropped
the battery and knocked a hole in it, would you expect a replacement under
warranty? I don't think so. Furthermore, you exacerbated the situation by
continuing to drive the vehicle after the idiot light illuminated. If they
really wish to do so, Honda can argue that you are responsible, at least in
part, for damage to the engine. Don't get me wrong, I am not saying that I
agree with that position, rather I am simply pointing out to you what may
come down the pike. I would prepare myself for all contingencies and have
arguments to counter them. As far as accepting a new engine, definitely! A
new engine, installed by the dealership, should carry the same warranty as
the original engine. In any case, good luck and I hope this all works out
for the best for you.

DaveD

Old December 14th 06, 01:27 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
tww

"Chuck Connell" > wrote in message
> I have not yet heard back from the dealer, about their intended

resolution.
> I am now driving a rental, which they are paying for. If the dealer offers
> to install a new engine, I am wondering if I should accept it... It seems
> pretty complicated to me to replace the whole engine, with all of its many
> interconnections, and do it as well as the engine in a new car.
>
> Thoughts on whether I could trust a dealer to do this right?
>
> Chuck

I think they will repair it. My experience with a 99 Accord 5 spd with
problem with 5th grinding on a shift at 600 miles was that Honda would not
replace the transmission -- in fact stalled me for well over 6 weeks until I
just gave up and had the dealer fix the transmission. They found it had
been incorrectly assembled at factory. A lot depends on your State laws --
and your willingness to hire legal assistance.

Old December 14th 06, 08:36 AM posted to alt.autos.honda,rec.autos.makers.honda
Red Cloud

Chuck Connell wrote:
> Just got off the phone with the service rep at the dealer (Herb Chambers in
> Burlington MA). The crank seal was blown. The oil was pumping onto the
> ground as the engine ran. He said "it looks like everything is OK inside
> the engine". I said there is no way to know that without putting the
> crankshaft and cylinder walls under a microscope. He more or less agreed.
>
> I said that I want a new car, and he agreed to escalate this to his
> manager.
>
> Chuck

Wow! Already engine trouble on brand new cars??? Wow! Way too early.

I bet that Hyundai dealer will exchange with a new car.

2007 Civic EX vs. 2004 Accord EX planetx Honda 13 February 2nd 07 09:00 PM
2006 or 2007 Miata [email protected] Mazda 19 September 9th 06 10:48 PM
2006 OR 2007 RUBICON? INDIVIDUAL Jeep 19 July 4th 06 03:09 AM
2007 Honda CRV: Wither the SUV? Redleathers Honda 3 July 3rd 06 05:24 PM
2007 Shelby Mustang GT500 Engine Failures? Tony Alonso Ford Mustang 0 April 30th 06 05:33 AM