How many Hondas have you owned?

Old November 25th 06, 04:45 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Dave Garrett

Default How many Hondas have you owned?

In article >, says...

> Started in Tokyo in 1967 with a 305cc CL 77 scrambler and replaced it with a
> 68 350 I shipped to the States. Remember seeing the CB 750 for the 1st time
> in Dec 68 at the Tokyo motorshow -- a real show stopped and amazing for the
> time.
> 1970 CB 750 (cost less than the Triumph Bonneville I had before which was
> stolen by a bunch of local thugs -- Harley riders)
> 1973 CB 750
> 1978 750F -- a shared experience I see and also my last motorcycle.

I sense a pattern here. :-)

I still have my 750F, although it's been in storage for six years and
would take some effort to get running again. Yet another project I
really need to tackle. It's an '81 that was modified considerably by its
previous owner, a roadracer who used it as his streetbike. It has a big-
bore kit to punch it out to 836cc, a Kerker 4-into-1, a Corbin
Gunfighter seat matching the factory paint colors, tweaked carbs off a
900F with K&Ns, Superbike bars, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm
forgetting right now. By modern standards it's overweight and slow, but
it was plenty fast for me when it was my sole transportation for a few
years.

I still want a CBX - saw this amazing custom one recently in a bike mag:

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=221

And if I ever win the lottery, an RC166 - still a near-unsurpassed
engineering achievement forty years later, and still the most spine-
tingling sound ever to emanate from anything on two wheels. Speaking of
engine sounds, Honda's Japanese website has a very interesting section
called "The Sound of Honda" where you can listen to many different
Hondas (both street and racing, motorcycles and cars) running at speed:

http://www.honda.co.jp/SoundofHonda/

Dave

Old November 25th 06, 04:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Dave Garrett

In article >, usenet2
@DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com says...

> In 1971, I bought one of the first Hondas ever imported into the United
> States. Most people at that time had never heard of a Honda car. Outside of
> California, they were not generally available.
>
> http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg
>
> That car was about $1,300 new.

Cool! I forgot about the 600s - I've always been curious about them,
even though I'm pretty sure I couldn't fit into one, at 6'1" and 200lbs.

Dave

Old November 25th 06, 06:54 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
High Tech Misfit

Dave Garrett wrote:

> So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to
> own?

I have owned 2 so far.

1993 Accord LX (Canadian version, similar to the U.S. DX) 4-door, white.
Bought it in early 2000 with 141,000km (88,000 miles) on it. Excellent car,
very good gas mileage for its class. It was very reliable for the most
part, although it had quite a few nagging issues over the past year (mainly
exhaust and suspension). I traded it in last month with 242,000km (150,000
miles) on it.

2004 Civic LX 4-door, dark grey. Bought it last month with 39,000km (24,000
miles) on it and have already added 7,000km (4,300 miles) to it. Love the
gas mileage; been averaging 36-40mpg on the highway, depending on the
outside temperature.

As for most desired Honda, I'm struggling to save my pennies to buy an
S2000. :-)
Old November 25th 06, 09:57 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

Larry in AZ wrote:

> Waiving the right to remain silent, Dave Garrett >
> said:
>
> > In article >, usenet2
> > @DE.LETE.THISljvideo.com says...
> >
> >> In 1971, I bought one of the first Hondas ever imported into the United
> >> States. Most people at that time had never heard of a Honda car.
> >> Outside of California, they were not generally available.
> >>
> >> http://members.cox.net/ljvideo/images/Honda_AN600.jpg
> >>
> >> That car was about $1,300 new.

> > Cool! I forgot about the 600s - I've always been curious about them,
> > even though I'm pretty sure I couldn't fit into one, at 6'1" and 200lbs.

> I'm 6'-0" and was about 180 at the time. I fit in it quite comfortably. It
> had a deceptive amount of room, kinda like the original Mini-Cooper...

In late 1969, I headed a photographic expedition to Micronesia and a
Honda 600 was our rental unit in Palau for six weeks. Couldn't kill it
despite it had no brakes for nearly the entire time!

JT
Old November 25th 06, 12:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
N.E.Ohio Bob

Dave Garrett wrote:
I've
> been monitoring eBay for some time to see what shows up there

I look at autotrader.com and cars .com. Any other sites i should visit?
bob
Old November 25th 06, 02:56 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
tww

"Dave Garrett" > wrote in message
> In article >, says...
>
> > Started in Tokyo in 1967 with a 305cc CL 77 scrambler and replaced it

with a
> > 68 350 I shipped to the States. Remember seeing the CB 750 for the 1st

time
> > in Dec 68 at the Tokyo motorshow -- a real show stopped and amazing for

the
> > time.
> > 1970 CB 750 (cost less than the Triumph Bonneville I had before which

was
> > stolen by a bunch of local thugs -- Harley riders)
> > 1973 CB 750
> > 1978 750F -- a shared experience I see and also my last motorcycle.

> I sense a pattern here. :-)
>
> I still have my 750F, although it's been in storage for six years and
> would take some effort to get running again. Yet another project I
> really need to tackle. It's an '81 that was modified considerably by its
> previous owner, a roadracer who used it as his streetbike. It has a big-
> bore kit to punch it out to 836cc, a Kerker 4-into-1, a Corbin
> Gunfighter seat matching the factory paint colors, tweaked carbs off a
> 900F with K&Ns, Superbike bars, and probably a bunch of other stuff I'm
> forgetting right now. By modern standards it's overweight and slow, but
> it was plenty fast for me when it was my sole transportation for a few
> years.
>
> I still want a CBX - saw this amazing custom one recently in a bike mag:

http://www.cycleworld.com/article.as...article_id=221

> And if I ever win the lottery, an RC166 - still a near-unsurpassed
> engineering achievement forty years later, and still the most spine-
> tingling sound ever to emanate from anything on two wheels. Speaking of
> engine sounds, Honda's Japanese website has a very interesting section
> called "The Sound of Honda" where you can listen to many different
> Hondas (both street and racing, motorcycles and cars) running at speed:
>
> http://www.honda.co.jp/SoundofHonda/
>
> Dave

The CBX -- still amazing and the RC 166 ( and I think there was also a 266 6
cylinder) are technical achievements still amazing today. I keep toying
with the idea of finding an older Honda 4 cylinder (air cooled) -- and not
a sport bike. The 750 successor to the orginal SOHC of the early 80s
interests me. Problem is to find one that is decent. I never modified my
750F but made a few changes to an earlier K series with a AAA collector
system and lower BMW bars. Sounded like a baby Jag. But I still fondly
think on the 305 Type 1 scrambler I had in Japan -- rode it all over the
countryside because driving a car was a real pain with the traffic as it
was. I remember you could make it from Fuchu AS to Tachikawa in about 30
minutes on a bike vs over an hour for a car because you could run down those
narrow streets a car could not go. But I was in my twenties then and now --
65. Where has it all gone. Just great memories.

Old November 25th 06, 03:02 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
tww

"Jim Yanik" > wrote in message
.. .
> 1974 Civic CVCC,used
>
> 1977 Accord HB,new;had paint blister problem,also wiped a cam lobe and not
> covered under warranty,IMO,it should have been covered.
>
> 1982 Accord HB,new
>
> 1986 Prelude SI,new great car,paint did not last long under the Florida
> sun;clearcoat degraded fast.
>
> 1990 Prelude SI,140HP motor(not the lesser SI2.0 motor),new;damaged by

hail
> and never the same after
>
> 1994 Integra 3drHB GSR,new. both rear side window frames(trim) warped
> outward at rear corner;looks to be common,after examining other Integras.
>

> I wish Honda had not stopped making the Prelude,the last model was nice.
>
> Currently,Honda/Acura makes NO auto that I would own.

Manuals are tough to find. Should imagine you would have to special order
one.

Old November 25th 06, 03:20 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Paul[_8_]

Only 2 Honda's for me (I'm a convert from GM - Pontiacs).

'91 accord EXR, bought it with 166,000km and took it up to 289,000km
before selling it to a buddy who took it further to 319,000km but his
hard driving sheared the cam and it went to the graveyard. Body was in
great shape even though it had been totalled 2 times by the previous
over before I got it. Excellent performance and phenomenal gas mileage
nonetheless

2000 accord SE - I've got it at 104,000km already and it drives
beautifully. Hope to get many more miles out of it.

Next one will still be a Honda.

Old November 25th 06, 04:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
JXStern

On Fri, 24 Nov 2006 22:23:27 -0600, Dave Garrett >
wrote:

>> Of course I once lusted after a six-cylinder Alfa. Then they went and
>> built (eg, imported) one, and I wouldn't touch it. WTH, my Accord I4
>> puts out more horsepower than that old 3-liter Alfa. Tech.

>GTV6, Milano, or 164?

Was thinking of the GTV6, I drove the 4-cylinder Alfetta for seven
years, with reasonable reliability - and expensive scheduled service.

The Milano Saab-Alfas I never really looked at closely. Dad had a
Saab 93 back when, with the two-stroke engine and suicide doors, sort
of puts a shadow on the name to this day!

J.