How many Hondas have you owned?

Old November 24th 06, 09:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Dave Garrett

Default How many Hondas have you owned?

I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars
have changed over the years. When I bought my first one, Hondas had a
well-earned reputation for high reliability and economy coupled with
innovative engineering. I still have trouble believing that a top-of-
the-line Civic is now a $20K+ car - it wasn't that long ago that fully-
loaded Accords barely breached that price.

Hondas I've owned:

82 Prelude, bought in late 1986 to replace a '76 Plymouth Duster whose
frame had cracked. I'd gone to a few dealers hoping to find a clean
Civic 1500 S, but there were none to be had, and a salesman convinced me
to test-drive a Prelude instead. An uninsured driver drove right through
a red light in 1990, and I t-boned him at about 30mph, totaling my car
less than a month after I'd had the engine completely rebuilt.

83 Accord sedan - bought for $400 in 1992 when I was short of cash but
also needed a beater for the times when my usual two-wheeled transport
(another Honda, a CB750F) wouldn't suffice. The engine wouldn't rev
above 3000rpm without starting to stutter and then die completely. It
was fine on city streets, but was unsafe to drive on the freeway. Drove
it for about six months as it was and sold it for what I paid for it.

80 Accord sedan - bought in 1993 for $500 for my wife, as a short-term
replacement for her VW Rabbit that was totaled by yet another red-light-
running uninsured driver. I wish I still had this car - it was in that
distinctive shade of light metallic green that was a popular factory
paint color with Hondas then.

86 Accord LXi hatchback - bought in early 1995 for my wife. Owned until
2003 with the only major problem being a broken (5-speed manual)
transmission that required replacement with a rebuilt one. Still ran
well when we sold it, but the AC had quit working a couple of years
previously, and as it was 17 years old she decided she'd rather have a
newer vehicle with fewer maintenance issues.

90 CRX Si - bought in 1993 with roughly 20K miles on it. Still my daily
driver, with just over 126K miles now. Like the 86 Accord, at nearly 17
it's started to have an increasing number of age-related problems that
I'm either going to have to address soon or decide to buy a new car
(probable suspension rebuild, AC quit working a year ago, a couple of
patches of rust on the A-pillar and sunroof, some original rubber parts
decaying, and other cosmetic issues). My favorite out of all the Hondas
I've had.

99 Accord EX V6 sedan - bought in 2003 as a replacement for our 86
Accord. Just recently passed 90K miles, and hope to continue driving it
for many more years (keeping my fingers crossed on the well-known
transmission issues). Plenty of room, very comfortable in the European
sense (stiffer suspension than many other Japanese or American sedans),
more than adequate power for almost every situation.

Hondas I'd like to own: I'd really like to keep the CRX and completely
rebuild it into a serious weekend hot rod (suspension and braking
upgrades and an engine swap for a tuned, naturally-aspirated B-series
motor in the 250HP range). Replacing it for a daily driver would be a
new Fit Sport (the true successor to the older-generation Civics), but I
don't see that happening until the supply increases enough to where
they're commonplace on dealer lots and better deals are being made.

I'd also like to restore a 1st- or 2nd-gen Civic. These used to be
plentiful, but now you hardly ever see one on the street. And every time
I sit in an S2000, I want one, but then reality sets in after I remember
the price tag. Beautiful cars, but like the new Civics, I always start
thinking of what else I could get for the same amount of money or less.

So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to
own?

Dave

Old November 24th 06, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Elle

Nice history, Dave.

I have just my 1991 Civic LX sedan, bought new. I think in a
few years, I sure would like a low mileage c. 1990 CRX,
'cause I could work on it myself and keep my gas bills low.
But I doubt I can find one with under 100k in my area. I
will probably buy a new Fit/Jazz or Toyota Yaris when my 91
Civic's engine or body gives up the proverbial ghost.

Old November 24th 06, 10:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Bruce Chastain

> So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to
> own?

4 so far.

1984 Accord
1992 Accord
2002 Accord
2006 CRV

The last 3 are still in the family.

Bruce.

Old November 24th 06, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Grumpy AuContraire[_2_]

snip

#1 - 1976 CVCC Civic. Ran it until it totally rusted out at 160K

#2 - 1979 CVCC Civic station wagon. The worst Honda I ever owned. Had
a lot of concealed abuse by the previous owner. I almost had it crushed
just so no one else would experience its horror but then I received a
good offer to sell as a part car.

#3 - 1983 Honda Civic FE. Currently on lay-up until a minor title issue
gets resolved. Averages 41 mpg in mixed driving

#4 - 1982 Honda Civic ? (four speed) bare bones car purchased for $200
as a parts car for the '83 FE. Damned thing just runs too good to
relegate it to disassembly. In use daily for perhaps the next year.

JT
Old November 24th 06, 10:23 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
News

Dave Garrett wrote:

> So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to
> own?

'78 Accord Hatchback
'86 Civic Hatchback
'88 Accord LXi
'05 CR-V SE
Old November 24th 06, 10:34 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
N.E.Ohio Bob

Dave Garrett wrote:
> I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars
> have changed over the years.

First one I ever drove was a 86 Accord LX-i four door 5 speed. Belonged
to a good friend, and I loved it from the first second in it.
Bought a 88 Accord DX 5 speed (new), maroon, for the wife. Wife drove
it till I found a REAL NICE 86 LX-i for her that she loved. Sold the 88
DX for more than I owed on it after two years.
Bought an 87 DX Accord hatchback 5 speed about a year later for myself
with about 90K on it and learned about leaking water pumps and timing
belts. Drove the car 25,000 miles a year for three years.
Traded the 87 DX for a 89 Black Prelude with low miles on it. Found out
much later that the car was a wreck repair . The front was a black car,
the rear was a red car. Road like a hay wagon, and had some water leaks.
Traded the 'Lude on my present Accord in mid September of '92. It was a
new 92 Accord LX two door five speed White with blue interior. Currently
235k on it and the rust is starting to brake my heart. I find myself
looking at '92 and '93 White two door Accords for sale on the WWW.
Can't remember when, but traded the wife's 86 for a 89 SE-i Bronze
beauty. She drove it till about three years ago. She wanted a nice new
car, so I let her pick one out. She chose a 03 Mazda ProtÈgÈ 5 in BRIGHT
YELLOW. She loves it, and people tell her how cute it is all the time.
Now the kids.
Found a Civic hatchback for the first son when he started driving. had
it about a year, and sold it for more than I paid for it. Found a nice
84 Accord SE-i for him that he drove back and forth to Ohio University
till an idiot smashed into it and I got him a 89 Accord LX four door
that he drove for four more years till he bought a three year old 98
Accord two door green that he has now
Second son got a 84 Accord LX when the started driving. I learned about
leaking carb floats on that one. When that car rusted out, the next door
neighbor was selling a 86 Civic wagon, brown. He drove that one till the
clutch and head both went out. I sold it "as is" and found him a 90 DX
Accord two door ,red from a co-worker. He put about three or four years
on it, and I sold it and found him a nice '93 Accord LX two door in
Maryland last year.
Sister #1 has had a 86, 89 and 98 Prelude (all red ones). Sister #4 had
a nice "89 Accord LX-i two door in light green for a while. Mom bought a
95 Accord new , and after she died in '03, my brother across town got it.
I think that's it. bob
Old November 24th 06, 10:48 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
rjdriver

1. 1967 65cc motor bike.

2. Uncertain year used 305cc motorcycle (owned in early 70's)

3. 1979 4dr Accord - first year for the sedan. After plunking down a
$25.00 deposit, and choosing between the two available colors (Silver and
Maroon), and the two avalable options (air conditioning and better
radio/cassette), I waited 6 months for it to arrive. Got totalled in a rear
ender sandwich in 1985 with 125,000 miles on it. ;-)

4. 1986 Acura Integra 4dr hatchback (first registered Acura owner in Rhode
Island).

5. 1989 4dr Accord LXI

6. 1999 Craftsman mower with Honda engine.

7. 2003 4dr Accord EX

Bob

Old November 24th 06, 11:04 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Tegger

Dave Garrett > wrote in news:MPG.1fd1249a871c7d998a120@
207.14.116.130:

<snip>

> So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to
> own?

Just one.

I bought my '91 Integra because Toyota in '91 didn't have anything I
wanted, and the Integra's styling was way cool to this 3-time Corolla
owner.

Still got the 'Teg. 278,000 miles.

The good Lord willin', she'll be my daily driver for many years to come.
One day I wanna be in a Honda ad with my million-mile Integra.

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old November 25th 06, 12:21 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
tww

"Dave Garrett" > wrote in message
> I recently got to thinking about the Hondas I've owned and how the cars
> have changed over the years. When I bought my first one, Hondas had a
> well-earned reputation for high reliability and economy coupled with
> innovative engineering. I still have trouble believing that a top-of-
> the-line Civic is now a $20K+ car - it wasn't that long ago that fully-
> loaded Accords barely breached that price.
>
> Hondas I've owned:

Started in Tokyo in 1967 with a 305cc CL 77 scrambler and replaced it with a
68 350 I shipped to the States. Remember seeing the CB 750 for the 1st time
in Dec 68 at the Tokyo motorshow -- a real show stopped and amazing for the
time.
1970 CB 750 (cost less than the Triumph Bonneville I had before which was
stolen by a bunch of local thugs -- Harley riders)
1973 CB 750
1978 750F -- a shared experience I see and also my last motorcycle.
1989 Civic
1990 Integra
1992 Accord LX 5 spd
1999 Accord LX 5 spd
1999 Accord EX auto (wife's)
2001 Prelude
2003 Pilot (wife's)
2006 Accord coupe I4 auto

own?

Old November 25th 06, 12:42 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.honda
Don in San Antonio[_2_]

> [...]
| upgrades and an engine swap for a tuned, naturally-aspirated B-series
| motor in the 250HP range). Replacing it for a daily driver would be a
| new Fit Sport (the true successor to the older-generation Civics), but
| don't see that happening until the supply increases enough to where
| they're commonplace on dealer lots and better deals are being made.
|
| I'd also like to restore a 1st- or 2nd-gen Civic. These used to be
| plentiful, but now you hardly ever see one on the street. And every
time
| I sit in an S2000, I want one, but then reality sets in after I
remember
| the price tag. Beautiful cars, but like the new Civics, I always start
| thinking of what else I could get for the same amount of money or
less.

| So, how many Hondas have you owned, and which ones would you like to

My first Honda was a Lime Green 1975 Honda Civic. It was the four speed
and it got 30 mpg in town and on the highway. No air conditioning, but
the ventilation was pretty good. No problem in California, but pretty
sweaty in Key West Florida.
My second Honda was a 1984 Accord. I had ordered a 1983 and was on the
waiting list (sound familiar?) when the dealer said I could have a 1984
for the same price as the 1983.
My third Honda would be a Honda Fit if it wasn't for the short supply.