How large is the bargaining power of "cash buying"?

Old May 1st 06, 06:32 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

Default How large is the bargaining power of "cash buying"?

None, the dealer either get paid by you or a finance source. The dealer
earns a portion of the interest, as well, if you use one of his finance
sources. The thing that will influence the drive home price for you is
whether you have a trade or not. When a trade is involve the dealer must
consider its value when it is actually sold. Dealers consider 60 to 90
days, on average, before a vehicle will be sold. When there is no trade he
knows he will have money to pay off the manufactures invoice and what the
net profit will be the day you buy the new car, not 60 to 90 days later.
If you have a late model trade he most likely will not even get enough money
in total to pay off the manufactures invoice let alone his sales costs.

Are you in the US? If I were you I would shop around a bit more, 22K is a
lot of money to drive home a 4cy car, you cold drive home a V8 for that kind
of money. There are many good nicely equipped V6s on the market that can be
driven home for less than 20K and 4cy for around 16K

mike hunt

> wrote in message
oups.com...
> Hello,

<snip>

Old May 1st 06, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

SoCalMike wrote:
> the biggest and most shameless ripoff is the line marked:
> "additional dealer markup"

Hey, at least they're being honest. That's better than swindling some
naive buyer for rustproofing or an extended warranty.

Old May 2nd 06, 04:24 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

Bucky wrote:
> SoCalMike wrote:
>> the biggest and most shameless ripoff is the line marked:
>> "additional dealer markup"

> Hey, at least they're being honest. That's better than swindling some
> naive buyer for rustproofing or an extended warranty.

heh... thats on top of "scotchgard", "permaplate" and "the gold kit"
Old May 2nd 06, 04:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

Ph@Boy wrote:

> With financing options at zero percent (Toyota) around here, I don't

wheres "around here"?
what models are excluded?

> know why you would not consider using their money and not tie up your
> own. Use your cash assets to either pay off creditors or invest in your
> favorite financial vehicle. A new car paid for by cash usually can't
> generate a dime in interest paid to you, or build equity assets for
> building your net worth. If you choose a zero percent deal, finance all
> you can, remember you are using their money and if you want to, you have
> the option to pay it off with no penalty anytime within the term of the
> loan. IMHO.

yup. just by letting my money sit in an emigrant savings account, im
making $75/mo for doing NOTHING.
Old May 2nd 06, 04:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Elle wrote:
> "Ph@Boy" > wrote
>> With financing options at zero percent (Toyota) around
>> here, I don't know why you would not consider using their
>> money and not tie up your own.

> I thought those "zero percent interest financing packages"
> always or often pre-set the price of the vehicle "for" the
> buyer, such that it amounted to a rip-off. That is, the
> buyer ended up paying a lot more for the vehicle than if
> s/he negotiated with the intent to pay cash for the price
> s/he negotiated.

you can always go through costco, sams, AAA, and get their "special"
pricing, which is below MSRP, and usually just a little above invoice.
that price is fixed and doesnt change regardless.

THEN tell em you wanna qualify for the 0%.

if your credits spotless, should be a done deal.

Old May 2nd 06, 04:30 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

Gosi wrote:
>> If you choose a zero percent deal

> Then you can be sure the total price is way above normal
>
> If you do have cash you have always the option of offering lover price
> and most of the time you get it - cash in hand is always cash
>
> Problem is dealers are always dealers and you have to count your
> fingers after shaking their hand
>
> Best is use the japanese style and not shake their hands

nah... the best way is arab style-

take a **** and wipe your ass with your hand. THEN shake their hand.
Old May 2nd 06, 04:31 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

Mike Hunter wrote:
> If you have a late model trade he most likely will not even get enough money
> in total to pay off the manufactures invoice let alone his sales costs.

WTF?

they give $4500 for a tradein, then sell it for $7995.

how is that NOT making money? they make money coming and going.
Old May 2nd 06, 05:22 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

"additional dealer markup"
Had to stop in a VW dealership years ago and the nice stealer had a VW
convertible with that caption on the new car price sticker. My friend
saw it first - we had stopped for a few pops and were feeling a little
tipsy - he started howling with laughter - I looked at it and said out
loud WTF - they asked us to leave.

Yeah I really love all the ways dealerships try to rip you off.

Have always bought with cash - it makes the transaction simpler and
gives the stealer less of a chance to do his thing.

Old May 2nd 06, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.toyota

But, why I saw the ad in paper saying that cash or trade a couple K $
off? It seems to me that cash may indeed have lower price on a car.