GPL Driving guide

Old May 31st 05, 06:09 AM
Jiyang Chen

Default GPL Driving guide

Is there a good GPL driving guide on the net? Ones I've looked at weren't
very helpful.

Thanks

Old May 31st 05, 06:55 AM
Greg Campbell

Jiyang Chen wrote:

> Is there a good GPL driving guide on the net? Ones I've looked at weren't
> very helpful.
>
> Thanks

OK, here's how it works.

"Drive around Glen, crash a lot, swear at PC, drive around more, crash
slightly less, eventually get around several laps without crashing at
all, think "hey, I can do this!", go faster, crash again, swear loudly
at PC, get more used to handling, feel comfortable, change car, crash
even more than at the start, swear very loudly, get used to other car,
go round Glen in decent time, have race, get punted off by Surtees,
swear at Hondas in general, have another race, push Surtees off yourself
(revenge is sweet!), finish race though low down field, feel happy, have
a beer, suddenly realise you can't drive straight anymore, go to bed,
get up, play more GPL, change to Monza, crash again, swear yet more, get
hang of Monza, think "I can really do this now!", change to Nürburgring,
crash every 50 yards, swear at Germans, drive round very slowly, still
crash, swear more, download some fast setups, crash all the time, get
used to setups, do a 3:30 at Spa, feel happy with self, look at Schubi's
site, see Spa record is 3:12, watch Greger Huttu's replays, feel really
depressed, have beer to drown sorrows, crash all the time, go to bed,
get up, wait for hangover to go, drive around and around various tracks,
finally get reasonable, go to VROC, crash a lot, swear at all other
drivers, give up, buy TOCA2 instead as you're meant to crash in that."

Seriously, you need to practice a LOT.
Try to find Alison Hine's beginner setups - I think they are still out
on the internet. The forums at rscnet.org should be a good place to
look. I think they were even running a GPL 'school' at one point.

Are you using a wheel or joystick? Don't try to use the keyboard - it's
hopeless....

There is a lot to learn. If you have any specific questions, please ask!

-Greg

Old May 31st 05, 09:53 AM
Timmy Ferrell

Try this for the original 11 tracks-
http://www.jrpearson.homestead.com/G...struction.html

Old May 31st 05, 10:09 AM
Maxx

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/medeson/GPLEGS.zip

Old May 31st 05, 10:40 AM
Remco Moedt

On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:55:31 -0700, Greg Campbell
> wrote:

>OK, here's how it works.

<Snip>

Hehe, nice piece of writing. brought back some memories,
especially the Surtees part, although he was more a pain at Monza
(Parabolica).

The things I can add, drive a couple of laps only on the left side of
the track, then drive a couple of laps on the right side of the track.
Also practice overtaking without other cars, to become familiar with
brakingzones not on the racing line.

Cheers!

Remco

Old May 31st 05, 11:07 AM
RubberGoat

That was hilarious - and true!

--
- RubberGoat - gummiged

"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here! This is the War Room!"
- Dr. Strangelove

"Don't take this the wrong way, but genetically you're a Cul-De-Sac"
- Bernard Black to Manny, (Black Books)

Old May 31st 05, 07:56 PM
Greg Campbell

Uwe Schürkamp wrote:

> On Mon, 30 May 2005 22:55:31 -0700, Greg Campbell wrote:
>
>>Jiyang Chen wrote:
>>

>>>Is there a good GPL driving guide on the net? Ones I've looked at weren't
>>>very helpful.
>>>
>>>Thanks

>>OK, here's how it works.

> Thanks for the laugh, submitted to alt.humor.best-of-usenet ;-)
>
> uwe

Cool. Just don't credit me. Google found David Buttery quoting it on
RAS many years ago. I don't know if he made it up then and there, or
was just passing it along.

JC, here's a good site: http://website.lineone.net/~richardn/index.html

-Greg
Old June 1st 05, 12:40 AM
Jiyang Chen

Thanks for the help. Seems like I'm spinning out at every turn... I do
have a steering wheel, though it's an old one. Are there any sites with
historic footages of the same cars on the tracks?

Thanks again

Old June 1st 05, 12:53 AM
Jiyang Chen

"Jiyang Chen" > wrote in message
om...
> Thanks for the help. Seems like I'm spinning out at every turn... I do
> have a steering wheel, though it's an old one. Are there any sites with
> historic footages of the same cars on the tracks?
>
> Thanks again

in-car footage that is.

Old June 1st 05, 08:42 PM
Plowboy

Jijang...

Seriously, you might need to investigate about the wheel just a bit. I had
a ThrustMaster wheel, actually I had about 9 of them via sending them in
under warranty and all the newer versions I tried back when...

The output from the wheel needs to be smooth. now when you calibrate,
if you just go in there willy nilly or without reguard to what is happening,
you may not notice, but the 'computer' and game will... Not sure how much
you might 'get' about what I am saying, so le me see if I can simplify this.

When the wheel is at rest (lets agree it is centered) the value being
expressed to the PC, is variable depending on specs, so let say it is
showing the computer that it's reading a 100, as you turn the wheel to the
left, it goes up in good wheels 101, 102, 103... on lesser good it can be
110, 120, 130 etc, up to 200 maybe. to the right it goes down accordingly
and equally for each 'degree of movement'.

But my thrust-crapper wheel inviariably sent this to the pc, as I slowly
turned the wheel to the left for example... 101, 102, 50, 90 105, 110, 120,
190. thus the game thought I was turning left ever so slightly then wildly
hard right, then wildly back to left, even though I was NOT. Being the good
sim, wanting to give my inputs to the simulated car, that kindof readings...
was causing great spins in anything above arcade games like MTM and crap
like NFS...

Anyway, sometimes this is just dirty or bad POTS (potentiometers). If you
dont know what I mean by POT, think volume, balance, or tuning knob on older
radios... as you turn the volume knob the resistance that is read slowly
and linearily increases or decreases, as such the circuits in the radio
respond in kind with volume, balance or tuning is reflected... if the
volume nob for example is dirty or 'bad' you get that 'static' crackly sound
as you turn the knob, that crap can happen in wheels, your game (& PC) try
to determine what you did, usually wrecking you or sometimes ignoring you
depending on the game or SW & drivers...

Finally, I got a new & different wheel back then, all of a sudden GPL,
nascar, and everything was drivable... many here like the Logitech's
offerings, the Driving Force Pro wheels, the Momo wheels are ok too i have
read, the driving force's I hear are cool, as they work with PC as well as
PS2 I hear... I would recomend one like mine, but they arent made anymore
MS-sidewinder FF v2 [red grip version]. plus you add the fact XP doesnt
really do anything but do 'legacy' (meaning limited) support of the good old
gameports.. so that, if XP's your OS, could be another hurdle to get over?

Jiyang Chen enlightened us with:
> Thanks for the help. Seems like I'm spinning out at every turn... I
> do have a steering wheel, though it's an old one. Are there any
> sites with historic footages of the same cars on the tracks?
>
> Thanks again

Pig driving recklessly this evening... Cory Dunkle Driving 16 March 29th 05 06:41 AM
Careless Driving in NJ s Driving 38 March 27th 05 09:08 PM
opinon of BFG 31 AT KO used tire and rim purchase ufatbastehd Jeep 9 January 28th 05 03:49 AM
Subject: Traffic School - online traffic school experience response [email protected] Corvette 0 October 9th 04 05:56 PM