Is the compensation number accurate or misleading?

Old December 25th 08, 07:57 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Gosi

Default Is the compensation number accurate or misleading?

On 25 Dec, 19:41, > wrote:
> Being able to afford "something" has little to do with ones standard of
> living...
>
> Where I live, we are in a labour crunch. McDonalds is offering $13 per hour
> for burger flippers.... I couldn't afford to live on $13 per hour.

If the burger flippers are supposed to be able to live in $13/hour
then I guess the Wall Street guys should get the same or less.
Losing billions of dollars can not be more difficukt than flipping
burgers.
Same to rick and co
Cars are made by robots and not much skill involved for the monkeys
that feed them.
Old December 26th 08, 02:43 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Ed Pawlowski

> Being able to afford "something" has little to do with ones standard of
> living...
>
> Where I live, we are in a labour crunch. McDonalds is offering $13 per
> hour for burger flippers.... I couldn't afford to live on $13 per hour.

While not a wage I'd want to try to live on, it is pretty good money for a
high school kid, an uneducated dropout, or a part time mom that wants to
make a few extra bucks while the kids are in school.

Old December 26th 08, 11:09 AM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Gosi

On 26 Dec, 02:43, "Ed Pawlowski" > wrote:
> > wrote in message

> > Being able to afford "something" has little to do with ones standard of
> > living...

> > Where I live, we are in a labour crunch. McDonalds is offering $13 per
> > hour for burger flippers.... I couldn't afford to live on $13 per hour.

> While not a wage I'd want to try to live on, it is pretty good money for a
> high school kid, an uneducated dropout, or a part time mom that wants to
> make a few extra bucks while the kids are in school.

As I understand it then it is going very well for McDonalds now.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_Mac_Index
the price of a Big Mac was $3.57 in the United States
The Big Mac can be used to tell the difference in cost of living
around the world etc.
Old December 27th 08, 02:25 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Tim[_16_]

Gosi wrote:
> On 20 Dec, 21:01, Tim > wrote:
>> Mark A wrote:
>>> Union negotiation of pay negates the reality that some people are better
>>> employees than others in terms of productivity and quality of work, and that
>>> they should be paid more. When you have a union that negotiates pay based on
>>> seniority, then there is no incentive for an employee to work harder or
>>> improve the quality of their work.

>> I thought trained monkeys could do these jobs.

> They do

Oh. Some trained monkeys do a better job than others.
Old December 27th 08, 04:18 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford
Gosi

On 27 Dec, 14:25, Tim > wrote:
> Gosi wrote:
> >> I thought trained monkeys could do these jobs.

> > They do

> Oh. Some trained monkeys do a better job than others.

Gorillas are quite good but not that many.
Chimps are in greater supply.
Old December 27th 08, 08:13 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford

Yes and no, Ed.... Over ten years ago, people were getting $17/hour sweeping
floors.... In something a little over 6 years, my wages have doubled... Is
this normal? I think not....

This is inflation on steroids...

While each and every one of us would dearly love to be paid with sacks and
sacks of money... it can't happen.... A job is only worth what it is worth
in terms of knowledge - in terms of technical expertise - in terms of
investment in tools....

Speaking of which.... Let's look at a salesman... He has, among other
things, a suit. Might be a cheap one - might be an Armani... His ''tools"
incl\ude looking good - smelling good and sounding good... $800 for a decent
suit, $200 for nice shoes, $1500 to have his teeth capped and that halitosis
dealt with.. done deal... can't do anythiung for the mans personality - but
we are all in that boat.

I smell bad - I don't own a suit - I'm an asshole and usually proud of the
fact... but I own a LOT of tools... more than some people paid for their
house. I have a lot of intellectual property... I deal in reality and cannot
baffle people with bull**** because it will catch up with me.

We are coming to that point in time where the stark reality will be getting
paid appropriately for what we do. Assembly line workers are in for a rude
awakening....

Old December 28th 08, 04:50 PM posted to alt.autos.nissan,alt.autos.toyota,rec.autos.makers.honda,alt.autos.gm,alt.autos.ford

Wow.... imagine... an employer (the guy that signs the FRONT of the cheque)
being able to decide where HIS business is going. How unorthodox can you
get?

I spent many years as self employed... A small business, the most I had for
employees at one time was about 12 - a mix of full and part time. "This" is
the "job" and "these" are the tasks the "job" requires - none are illegal,
dangerous or immoral... "this" is what it pays.

While you might decide that holding a gun to my head for higher wages or
expensive benefits might be appropriate - as the keeper of the purse
strings, I would find it appropriate to decide what I am going to spend and
where I am going to spend it.

Now that we have manufactured our own Catch 22... I can prove that it is my
ball - my glove... hell, even the ball field belongs to me - and I can send
everyone home.

Picture, if you will, a shepherd... He can either drive the sheep to where
he wants them... or he can follow them - praying that they will wind up
where he desires....