2004 accord 4-cyl: ATF filter?

Old September 12th 08, 02:23 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Default 2004 accord 4-cyl: ATF filter?

"Lifetime" often means different things to the manufacturer and to the
owner. How soon do you start getting discount flyers trying to get you
into a new car? And maybe 2x that interval?

Old September 12th 08, 02:27 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Magnefines, like many oil filters, have bypass valves built in.

"Will it clog?
Magnefine double filtration is so efficient it removes 99% of all wear
metal contaminants. It¹s design holds the majority of contaminants on
the uniquely positioned magnet. Even if the filter element becomes
full, it¹s safety bypass opens for full flow and the magnet still
cleans metal from the system."

Do a google on magnefine pictures, you'll see one cut open from a
truck. Dirty I'd say.

Old September 12th 08, 04:43 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>> Pszemol wrote:
>>> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> t...

>>> Is the temperature of the engine oil flowing through the oil filter
>>> greater than the temperature of the ATF in a working transmission?
>>> Any data to support this claim?

>>> You guess or you know it? If you know, based on what data?

>>> The same thing you can read about FRAM paper filters for $2 :-)

>>> I am curious, could you please explain why this filter is there at all
>>> and why is it located in this particular place... I would appreciate
>>> this.

>> dude, why do you bother? look this stuff up. if you can't find it on
>> the web, go to your local library and look in the automotive tech
>> section. better yet, go to school and sign up for some of the
>> automotive engineering classes. just because /you/ don't know
>> something doesn't mean /i/ don't.

> I just asked you couple of questions and seems you do not have the answer.

no, i don't have an answer for _you_.
Old September 12th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
> t...
>> Pszemol wrote:

>>> Considering the fact this filter is on the lines leading to the ATF
>>> cooler
>>> it would imply that blocked ATF filter would cause fluid overheating...
>>> For less than $20 I would say it will not hurt to replace it every
>>> 60k miles!

>> where did you get this number from? was it:
>>
>> a. a wildly uneducated guess
>> b. meticulous lab research
>> c. some secret internal source at honda
>> d. er, give up.

> I took it from the same place you took the info it will last the
> "lifetime".

no - one of us did some homework. and it wasn't you.
Old September 12th 08, 04:44 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

wrote:
> Well, Honda's transmission problems were at least partially due to
> debris clogging the strainer in the tranny. At least in 98-99
> differential bearing failures.

i seriously doubt those failures were filtration problems. honda
transmissions were able to manage 300k+ miles on just one filter before
so there has to be some other change going on for that filter to
suddenly clog. my suspicion is a change in material spec leading to
substantially increased wear. filter clogging would be a symptom, not
the clause.

http://www.magnefine.com/

> This type of inline filters have come with rebuilt transmissions to
> catch leftover debris. Magnefine recommends 12-month intervals.
> Strainer based filtration is just OK, bare minimum. But that' why
> there a
>
> http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page25.html

please - all this is unnecessary if the transmission was built and
spec'ed right in the first place.

Old September 12th 08, 02:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"jim beam" > wrote in message
>> I just asked you couple of questions and seems you do not have the
>> answer.

> no, i don't have an answer for _you_.

Of course... :-)

Old September 12th 08, 03:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
jim beam

Pszemol wrote:
> "jim beam" > wrote in message
>>> I just asked you couple of questions and seems you do not have the
>>> answer.

>> no, i don't have an answer for _you_.

> Of course... :-)

you don't get it. you **** and moan, you complain, you deny, and worst,
you make stuff up. you don't /actually/ want "answers", you just want
to remain ignorant. for your future one-way communication needs, i
suggest you go watch tv.

Old September 12th 08, 03:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

> wrote in message
> Magnefines, like many oil filters, have bypass valves built in.
>
> "Will it clog?
> Magnefine double filtration is so efficient it removes 99% of all wear
> metal contaminants. It¹s design holds the majority of contaminants on
> the uniquely positioned magnet. Even if the filter element becomes
> full, it¹s safety bypass opens for full flow and the magnet still
> cleans metal from the system."
>
> Do a google on magnefine pictures, you'll see one cut open from a
> truck. Dirty I'd say.

I was not going to use magnefine, rather factory replacement.
I understand it will have the overflow path, as well.

So the fear about overheating fluid can be erased from discussion :-)

Old September 12th 08, 03:21 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

> wrote in message
> On Sep 10, 6:40 am, "Pszemol" > wrote:
>> I agree that it could last longer, but how much longer?
>>
>> I am always suspicious when I hear "will last a lifetime"...
>> What does it exactly mean? What is the "lifetime"? The time
>> the car is under warranty? The time the car is under lease
>> contract and is sold to 2nd owner? Is it 100k miles the car
>> is designed for? What if I want it to last 200 or 300k ?

> "Lifetime" often means different things to the manufacturer and to the
> owner. How soon do you start getting discount flyers trying to get you
> into a new car? And maybe 2x that interval?

Exactly my point... this is not a term which is precise enough to me.

Old September 12th 08, 03:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

> wrote in message
> Well, Honda's transmission problems were at least partially due to
> debris clogging the strainer in the tranny. At least in 98-99
> differential bearing failures.
>
> http://www.magnefine.com/
>
> This type of inline filters have come with rebuilt transmissions to
> catch leftover debris. Magnefine recommends 12-month intervals.
> Strainer based filtration is just OK, bare minimum. But that' why
> there a
>
> http://perma-cool.com/Catalog/Cat_page25.html

Interesting...