Brass door lock tumblers

Old January 31st 05, 04:04 AM
Papa

Default Brass door lock tumblers

I own a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible. I have just one key and it only works
in the ignition and the drivers door. All other locks do not work with this
key. I tried taking the other locks apart and shuffling the little brass
lock tumblers so that they would be arranged exactly as they are for my
ignition and the drivers door.

I took the drivers door lock apart in order to see the tumbler arrangement.
Unfortunately, instead of the expected tumbler numbering of 1, 2, 3, and 4 -
instead they were numbered 2 (qty 1), 3 (qty 1), 4 (qty 2), 76 (qty 2), and
77 (qty 1).

I've never heard of tumblers having numbers like 76 and 77. Anyone know
where I can get some tumblers with those numbers? I am trying to avoid
buying any more locks or having umpteen keys for one car. Thanks.

Old January 31st 05, 11:41 AM
Joseph Meehan

Papa wrote:
> I own a 1988 VW Cabriolet Convertible. I have just one key and it
> only works in the ignition and the drivers door. All other locks do
> not work with this key. I tried taking the other locks apart and
> shuffling the little brass lock tumblers so that they would be
> arranged exactly as they are for my ignition and the drivers door.
>
> I took the drivers door lock apart in order to see the tumbler
> arrangement. Unfortunately, instead of the expected tumbler numbering
> of 1, 2, 3, and 4 - instead they were numbered 2 (qty 1), 3 (qty 1),
> 4 (qty 2), 76 (qty 2), and 77 (qty 1).
>
> I've never heard of tumblers having numbers like 76 and 77. Anyone
> know where I can get some tumblers with those numbers? I am trying to
> avoid buying any more locks or having umpteen keys for one car.
> Thanks.

You have the valet key. It is designed to give to someone when they
don't want they to have access to the trunk or glove box. That also
explains the odd designations. That lock needs to accommodate both the valet
key and the regular key.

Take your problem to your local locksmith, they will be able to help you
out.

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 31st 05, 03:01 PM
Papa

Someone on another forum provided the answer. My lock with the "76" and "77"
tumblers is a "valet" lock, intended so that a valet person cannot use its
key to open the trunk or glove box. For complete compatibility with all the
car locks, the valet lock would need to be replaced with a standard one.
Valet locks seem like a dumb idea to me. If you allow someone who is not
trustworthy to have access to you car, a lock won't stop him/her from
getting the trunk or glovebox open.

Old January 31st 05, 04:24 PM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Joseph Meehan wrote:

> You have the valet key. It is designed to give to someone when they
>don't want they to have access to the trunk or glove box. That also
>explains the odd designations. That lock needs to accommodate both the valet
>key and the regular key.

Wouldn't the valet key work in the passenger side door?

Old January 31st 05, 04:48 PM
Biz

GO to your dealer and order a new key or two, you have only the valet key.
Which seems strange that you never got the real key....

nk.net...

Old January 31st 05, 06:12 PM
Joseph Meehan

Tom's VR6 wrote:
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Joseph Meehan wrote:
>

>> You have the valet key. It is designed to give to someone when
>> they don't want they to have access to the trunk or glove box. That
>> also explains the odd designations. That lock needs to accommodate
>> both the valet key and the regular key.

> Wouldn't the valet key work in the passenger side door?

That depends on the car. Of course it does not work on mine, as my 2002
NB does not have a lock on the passenger door. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math

Old January 31st 05, 06:34 PM
Papa

My car is weird. The previous owner must have had a locksmith match the
driver side door lock to the ignition lock, which is a valet lock. The
passenger side door, glove box door, and trunk lid all have a different
setup and will not work with my ignition key.

Old January 31st 05, 08:57 PM
Joseph Meehan

Papa wrote:
> My car is weird. The previous owner must have had a locksmith match
> the driver side door lock to the ignition lock, which is a valet
> lock. The passenger side door, glove box door, and trunk lid all have
> a different setup and will not work with my ignition key.

That is the norm, not weird. The valet only needs access to the driver
door and the ignition. The valet does not need access to the passenger door
lock, glove box or trunk.

Old February 1st 05, 04:04 AM
Tom's VR6

In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Joseph Meehan wrote:

>Papa wrote:
>> My car is weird. The previous owner must have had a locksmith match
>> the driver side door lock to the ignition lock, which is a valet
>> lock. The passenger side door, glove box door, and trunk lid all have
>> a different setup and will not work with my ignition key.

> That is the norm, not weird. The valet only needs access to the driver
>door and the ignition. The valet does not need access to the passenger door
>lock, glove box or trunk.

Note that the valet key will not even go into the slot of the lock
it does not fit. I know you knew that. I was pointing that out in
case that is Papa's case.

Old February 1st 05, 10:37 AM
Joseph Meehan

Tom's VR6 wrote:
> In rec.autos.makers.vw.watercooled, Joseph Meehan wrote:
>
>> Papa wrote:
>>> My car is weird. The previous owner must have had a locksmith match
>>> the driver side door lock to the ignition lock, which is a valet
>>> lock. The passenger side door, glove box door, and trunk lid all
>>> have a different setup and will not work with my ignition key.

>> That is the norm, not weird. The valet only needs access to the
>> driver door and the ignition. The valet does not need access to the
>> passenger door lock, glove box or trunk.

> Note that the valet key will not even go into the slot of the lock
> it does not fit. I know you knew that. I was pointing that out in
> case that is Papa's case.

With my current car NO key fits the trunk. :-)

--
Joseph Meehan

26 + 6 = 1 It's Irish Math