How to adjust windshield sprinkler in accord 2004

Old October 1st 07, 09:05 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tony Harding

Default How to adjust windshield sprinkler in accord 2004

Pszemol wrote:
> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> You're supposed to aim the spray so it hits the middle of the glass (up-
>> and-down).
>>
>> If you have trouble getting fineness of aim, the cure is simple:
>> violate Honda's edict. Go to any craft shop and get a cheap set of
>> cross-stitch needles (ask the wife). Cross-stitch needles have a
>> rounded, blunt point, and will not damage the nozzle's surfaces.
>>
>> With the correct, well-fitting size of blunt needle you can stick it
>> directly into the round hole and get finer control over its aim.
>>
>> If your spray pattern is actually a SPRAY rather than a STREAM,
>> disregard my advice above, and obey Honda's.

> Yes, my spray patter is actually spray, not a stream...
>
> And the driver side arm of the wiper seems to be too high,
> in the way of the water stream/sprawy making it impossible
> to satisfy two constrains: water hiting over the wiper arm
> and not hiting too high on the windshield (almost roof).
>
> Passenger side is OK, no problems there... wiper arm is low
> and allows setting water target spot on the glass correctly.

I would lift the driver's side wiper off the glass and aim the nozzle
accordingly. I expect to have some hands on experience soon, because the
spray on my '03 Accord sedan needs to be re-aimed.
Old October 1st 07, 09:29 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tony Harding" > wrote in message ...
> I would lift the driver's side wiper off the glass and aim
> the nozzle accordingly.

If I do it, and then put the wiper back down
than the nozzle will hit the wiper, not the glass.

> I expect to have some hands on experience soon, because
> the spray on my '03 Accord sedan needs to be re-aimed.

Cool, so you will tell me how it works for you.
My question would be: can you set up the nozzle on
the driver side that the water hits middle point of
the glass WHEN THE WIPER IS IN REST on the glass.
Old October 1st 07, 11:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> "Tony Harding" > wrote in message
>> I would lift the driver's side wiper off the glass and aim
>> the nozzle accordingly.

> If I do it, and then put the wiper back down
> than the nozzle will hit the wiper, not the glass.
>
>> I expect to have some hands on experience soon, because
>> the spray on my '03 Accord sedan needs to be re-aimed.

> Cool, so you will tell me how it works for you.
> My question would be: can you set up the nozzle on
> the driver side that the water hits middle point of
> the glass WHEN THE WIPER IS IN REST on the glass.

I think at least some of the problem here hay be the steepness of the
glass. When the glass is too steep, tiny adjustments in aim mean gross
movements in pattern on the glass. In other words, you're constantly
overshooting or undershooting your intended mark.

Do you think this may be the case?

--
Tegger

The Unofficial Honda/Acura FAQ
www.tegger.com/hondafaq/
Old October 2nd 07, 12:48 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
> I think at least some of the problem here hay be the steepness of the
> glass. When the glass is too steep, tiny adjustments in aim mean gross
> movements in pattern on the glass. In other words, you're constantly
> overshooting or undershooting your intended mark.
>
> Do you think this may be the case?

Not at all. At some point I had the water over the wiper,
barelly touching it with the eadge of the spray...
Unfortunatelly at this setting majority of water was
wetting my moonroof :-)
Lowering nozzle ANY lower would cause water hitting wiper.

I have to check if I have an original wiper...
I got the car used, so who knows.
Have to check other accords and compare to mine.
Old October 2nd 07, 01:49 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Tegger

"Pszemol" > wrote in
:

> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> I think at least some of the problem here hay be the steepness of the
>> glass. When the glass is too steep, tiny adjustments in aim mean
>> gross movements in pattern on the glass. In other words, you're
>> constantly overshooting or undershooting your intended mark.
>>
>> Do you think this may be the case?

> Not at all. At some point I had the water over the wiper,
> barelly touching it with the eadge of the spray...
> Unfortunatelly at this setting majority of water was
> wetting my moonroof :-)
> Lowering nozzle ANY lower would cause water hitting wiper.
>
> I have to check if I have an original wiper...
> I got the car used, so who knows.
> Have to check other accords and compare to mine.

Two things I can think of:
1) Aftermarket <gag> wiper blades, or
2) debris in the nozzle affecting the spray pattern.

Do both sides have the same spray pattern, or is one noticeably different
from the other? If different, one nozzle is slightly blocked.

Don't put aftermarket **** on your car. If you have any, get rid of it post
haste.

Old October 2nd 07, 03:03 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Tegger" > wrote in message ...
> Two things I can think of:
> 1) Aftermarket <gag> wiper blades, or
> 2) debris in the nozzle affecting the spray pattern.
>
> Do both sides have the same spray pattern, or is one noticeably different
> from the other? If different, one nozzle is slightly blocked.
>
> Don't put aftermarket **** on your car. If you have any, get rid of it post
> haste.

I don't put anything like this on my car.
The wiper is probably correct, because I got factory inserts
and both fit snugly like they were designed to each other.

Driver side nozzle seems weaker than passenger one, but the
tubing for this one is much longer than passenger one...

I need to check other accords - I am surprised nobody
in this group has 2003-2004 coupe to check this for me.

In the worst case I will try to buy new nozzles...
BTW- I was able to remove the driver side nozzle after
unclipping the plastic piece of sieve next to it...
But I have no idea how to replace the passenger side one.
Do I need to take the solid plastic piece attached with
round rivet-like plugs? Are they one-time use or can they
be reused ? I am afraid they will crack while removing.
Old October 2nd 07, 03:26 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Dave L

"Pszemol" > wrote in message
> "Tegger" > wrote in message
>> Two things I can think of:
>> 1) Aftermarket <gag> wiper blades, or
>> 2) debris in the nozzle affecting the spray pattern.
>>
>> Do both sides have the same spray pattern, or is one noticeably different
>> from the other? If different, one nozzle is slightly blocked.
>>
>> Don't put aftermarket **** on your car. If you have any, get rid of it
>> post haste.

> I don't put anything like this on my car.
> The wiper is probably correct, because I got factory inserts
> and both fit snugly like they were designed to each other.
>
> Driver side nozzle seems weaker than passenger one, but the
> tubing for this one is much longer than passenger one...
>
> I need to check other accords - I am surprised nobody
> in this group has 2003-2004 coupe to check this for me.
>
> In the worst case I will try to buy new nozzles...
> BTW- I was able to remove the driver side nozzle after
> unclipping the plastic piece of sieve next to it...
> But I have no idea how to replace the passenger side one.
> Do I need to take the solid plastic piece attached with
> round rivet-like plugs? Are they one-time use or can they
> be reused ? I am afraid they will crack while removing.

When at a standstill the driver's spray will hit the wiper blade. ** If you
turn the wipers on while spraying, it'll go where you need it. ** Don't try
to adjust it so it will spray over the driver's blade when the wipers are
not on since it'll spray too high.

The only real benefit to spring the driver's side higher is if you're
driving at speed, in which the wind and speed of the car will allow the
spray to hit the windshield before it sprays over. This doesn't help when
you're at a standstill.

This used to drive me crazy too on my '05 Accord and I tried adjusting the
driver's spray nozzle only to put it close to where it was - just slightly
higher. IIRC, when using the washer at a standstill it'll still skim the
top of the driver's blade. Once I turn on the wipers, problem gone. OEM
blades.

-Dave

Old October 2nd 07, 03:51 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda

Pszemol > wrote:
> Not at all. At some point I had the water over the wiper,
> barelly touching it with the eadge of the spray...
> Unfortunatelly at this setting majority of water was
> wetting my moonroof :-)
> Lowering nozzle ANY lower would cause water hitting wiper.

There might be substantial downforce airflow at road speeds.

Old October 2nd 07, 05:17 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

> wrote in message ...
> Pszemol > wrote:
>> Not at all. At some point I had the water over the wiper,
>> barelly touching it with the eadge of the spray...
>> Unfortunatelly at this setting majority of water was
>> wetting my moonroof :-)
>> Lowering nozzle ANY lower would cause water hitting wiper.

> There might be substantial downforce airflow at road speeds.

Where would the downforce come from?
Car is pushing forward so the air is going UP to the roof.
This air will blow the water up.
Old October 2nd 07, 05:18 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda
Pszemol

"Dave L" > wrote in message . ..
> When at a standstill the driver's spray will hit the wiper blade. ** If you
> turn the wipers on while spraying, it'll go where you need it. ** Don't try
> to adjust it so it will spray over the driver's blade when the wipers are
> not on since it'll spray too high.
>
> The only real benefit to spring the driver's side higher is if you're
> driving at speed, in which the wind and speed of the car will allow the
> spray to hit the windshield before it sprays over. This doesn't help when
> you're at a standstill.
>
> This used to drive me crazy too on my '05 Accord and I tried adjusting the
> driver's spray nozzle only to put it close to where it was - just slightly
> higher. IIRC, when using the washer at a standstill it'll still skim the
> top of the driver's blade. Once I turn on the wipers, problem gone. OEM
> blades.

Very strange... Seems to be a design flaw.
Is 2008 model the same way?