Honda V6 engines and synthetic oil

Old May 11th 07, 08:31 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Honda V6 engines and synthetic oil

snip
> Remember the base argument.
>> It wasn't about a typo. It was about your assertion that PAO in Mobil
>> is only 5%. You derived that from misinterpreting a MSDS. I said the
>> PAO was much higher.

>based on what??? cite your source!!!

I explained already. Site your source! Don't tell me it's that msds
that you can't read correctly.

snip

>dude, /you/ wrote on 5/10/07, 10:33:
>"PAO's are the base stock of Mobil 1 10w-30. This base stock is well
>over 50%."
>
>where did you get that number? i've searched the web extensively, and
>see nothing authoritative or unequivocal other than the msds filings.
>all i see /you/ doing is steadily dropping your numbers.

I'm not dropping the numbers. well over 50% is not 50% and can easily
be 80%-90%

How many times do I have to tell you. Mobil will NOT divulge the exact
numbers. It is however safe to say that the term "well over 50% " is
accurate in that Mobil 1 uses PAO as it's basestock, and the basestock
is the major component of oil.

snip

>> What about Mobil suing Castrol over the term "Full Synthetic"?
>> They lost the suit but Mobil has always contended that full synthetic
>> meant using PAO as the basestock. They still believe that, but you
>> would rather bash them

>i'm not bashing them - i've been using m1 myself!!! all i want to know
>is exactly what i'm paying for. and they won't state that. the only
>written evidence i have is the legal msds filings showing 5% pao.

The msds does not show PAO at 5%. Before you start using your
interpretation of that msds don't you think it would be better to
call them and ask them one simple question. Ask them if you are
interpretation that specific msds correctly. Ask them if POLYOLEFIN
POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE, POLYOL is the total content of PAO.
They will tell you no. At that point you can not say that Mobil 1
is 5% pao. You can only say that you wish they would divulge
what the actual percentage is. They won't. You'll just have to stay
confused for the rest of your life.

snip
>so far, all your content here has shown is an ability to self-delude and
>change your story as you go along. one more chance, then we're done.
>hard evidence required

The story about PAO being 5% is the only story here.
Old May 12th 07, 03:07 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

ACAR wrote:
> On May 11, 9:15 am, jim beam > wrote:
> snip
>> i'm not bashing them - i've been using m1 myself!!!

> snip
>
> So this is the marketing crux of the issue. Why should Exxon/Mobil use
> more than 5% PAO when guys like Jim are willing to pay their price? In
> a previous discussion with Jim, he convinced me I was wasting my money
> on Mobil 1 and I've been buying whichever "synthetic" is on sale when
> I need oil. Now if Mobil 1 were to return to their previous practice
> of using PAO as the base and publishing the data then I'd be happy to
> resume my former brand loyalty.

i'd be a little more cautious than that - the additive package is real
important. that's why i still stick to brands i've found to be good in
that respect - castrol and mobil.
Old May 12th 07, 05:12 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
ACAR

On May 11, 10:07 pm, jim beam > wrote:
> ACAR wrote:
> > On May 11, 9:15 am, jim beam > wrote:
> > snip
> >> i'm not bashing them - i've been using m1 myself!!!

> > snip

> > So this is the marketing crux of the issue. Why should Exxon/Mobil use
> > more than 5% PAO when guys like Jim are willing to pay their price? In
> > a previous discussion with Jim, he convinced me I was wasting my money
> > on Mobil 1 and I've been buying whichever "synthetic" is on sale when
> > I need oil. Now if Mobil 1 were to return to their previous practice
> > of using PAO as the base and publishing the data then I'd be happy to
> > resume my former brand loyalty.

> i'd be a little more cautious than that - the additive package is real
> important. that's why i still stick to brands i've found to be good in
> that respect - castrol and mobil.

Jim, if you were a member of my negotiating team I'd have to fire you
for not being able to read between the lines.