Honda V6 engines and synthetic oil

Old May 6th 07, 05:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

Default Honda V6 engines and synthetic oil

>2. "synthetics" are no longer really synthetics - these days, they're
>just a more refined version of the same base oil used in standard lubes.
>http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...imsdsnr=194095
>10w-30 mobil1 is only 5% "synthetic".

Synthetics are synthetics and semi- synthetics these days....

A semi- synthetic oil contains less than 30% synthetic oil.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil

Mobil1 motor oils are still 100% synthetic motor oils and do not
use conventional basestocks in the formulation.
Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at
1-800-ASK-MOBIL
http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...97&Main=800351
Old May 6th 07, 05:38 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

wrote:
>> 2. "synthetics" are no longer really synthetics - these days, they're
>> just a more refined version of the same base oil used in standard lubes.

http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...imsdsnr=194095
>> 10w-30 mobil1 is only 5% "synthetic".

> Synthetics are synthetics and semi- synthetics these days....
>
> A semi- synthetic oil contains less than 30% synthetic oil.
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
>

> Mobil1 motor oils are still 100% synthetic motor oils and do not
> use conventional basestocks in the formulation.
> Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
> If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at
> 1-800-ASK-MOBIL
> http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...97&Main=800351

are you the industry shill that keeps deleting msds info off wikipedia?
Old May 6th 07, 05:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 06 May 2007 09:38:57 -0700, jim beam

>>> 2. "synthetics" are no longer really synthetics - these days, they're
>>> just a more refined version of the same base oil used in standard lubes.
>>> http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...imsdsnr=194095
>>> 10w-30 mobil1 is only 5% "synthetic".

>> Synthetics are synthetics and semi- synthetics these days....
>>
>> A semi- synthetic oil contains less than 30% synthetic oil.
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
>>

>> Mobil1 motor oils are still 100% synthetic motor oils and do not
>> use conventional basestocks in the formulation.
>> Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
>> If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at
>> 1-800-ASK-MOBIL
>> http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...97&Main=800351

>are you the industry shill that keeps deleting msds info off wikipedia?

No. Just wanted to point out that even if you went out of your way
to interpret the data in a negative way against Mobil 1, then you
would still get between 80%-90% synthetic oil. The reason you
don't get 100% in all interpretations is because Mobil 1 as most
other manufacturers reformulate over time to make their oil better.
Sometimes the better reformulation includes introducing non-
synthetics.

Old May 6th 07, 06:11 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

wrote:

http://msds.ogden.disa.mil/msds/owa/...imsdsnr=194095
>>> Synthetics are synthetics and semi- synthetics these days....
>>>
>>> A semi- synthetic oil contains less than 30% synthetic oil.
>>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Synthetic_oil
>>>

>>> Mobil1 motor oils are still 100% synthetic motor oils and do not
>>> use conventional basestocks in the formulation.
>>> *******************************************
>>> Thank you for choosing ExxonMobil products.
>>> If you need further assistance, please contact ExxonMobil at
>>> 1-800-ASK-MOBIL
>>> http://theoildrop.server101.com/foru...97&Main=800351

>> are you the industry shill that keeps deleting msds info off wikipedia?

> No. Just wanted to point out that even if you went out of your way
> to interpret the data in a negative way against Mobil 1, then you
> would still get between 80%-90% synthetic oil. The reason you
> don't get 100% in all interpretations is because Mobil 1 as most
> other manufacturers reformulate over time to make their oil better.
> Sometimes the better reformulation includes introducing non-
> synthetics.

but it's not 80-90% pao!!! that's what everyone /thinks/ it is and it's
not!!! pao is [was] "true synthetic". now, "synthetic" is just more
highly refined dino.
Old May 6th 07, 09:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

>> No. Just wanted to point out that even if you went out of your way
>> to interpret the data in a negative way against Mobil 1, then you
>> would still get between 80%-90% synthetic oil. The reason you
>> don't get 100% in all interpretations is because Mobil 1 as most
>> other manufacturers reformulate over time to make their oil better.
>> Sometimes the better reformulation includes introducing non-
>> synthetics.
>>

>but it's not 80-90% pao!!! that's what everyone /thinks/ it is and it's
>not!!! pao is [was] "true synthetic". now, "synthetic" is just more
>highly refined dino.

Who's everyone? Mobil 1 is Synthetic oil. Synthetic oil can
have any combination of Group 5,4 or 3 synthetic oil base
stock. Mobil 1's base stock is POA (group 4). Mobil 1's base
stock (POA) is a least 80%.

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli..._V_Mineral.asp
Old May 6th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

wrote:
>>> No. Just wanted to point out that even if you went out of your way
>>> to interpret the data in a negative way against Mobil 1, then you
>>> would still get between 80%-90% synthetic oil. The reason you
>>> don't get 100% in all interpretations is because Mobil 1 as most
>>> other manufacturers reformulate over time to make their oil better.
>>> Sometimes the better reformulation includes introducing non-
>>> synthetics.
>>>

>> but it's not 80-90% pao!!! that's what everyone /thinks/ it is and it's
>> not!!! pao is [was] "true synthetic". now, "synthetic" is just more
>> highly refined dino.

> Who's everyone? Mobil 1 is Synthetic oil. Synthetic oil can
> have any combination of Group 5,4 or 3 synthetic oil base
> stock. Mobil 1's base stock is POA (group 4). Mobil 1's base
> stock (POA) is a least 80%.

indeed, "any combination". hence modern formulations which are
primarily group III with a little IV or V to make it look good. and
where do you get 80% from? that contradicts the manufacturer's own msds
filing.

http://www.mobil.com/Australia-Engli..._V_Mineral.asp

let's read very carefully:

"Synthetic motor oils contain a high proportion of base stocks created
from pure chemicals. Since synthetic base stocks such as PAO are
essentially pure chemicals themselves they avoid the performance
limitations imposed by the impurities present in conventional and
hydroprocessed base oils. PAO synthetic base oils are therefore pure
compounds containing none of the impurities found in conventional base
oils derived from crude oil, as mentioned earlier."

ok, let's analyze:
> "Synthetic motor oils contain a high proportion of base stocks created
> from pure chemicals."

what exactly is a "high proportion"? high relative to what? like 6% is
high relative to 5%? and what is "from pure chemicals"? if it's pao,
why don't they say so? "pure" usually means one chemical. my left foot
is "pure chemicals" if you want to be literal about this.

> "Since synthetic base stocks such as PAO are essentially pure
> chemicals themselves they avoid the performance limitations imposed by
> the impurities present in conventional and hydroprocessed base oils."

note the language "such as". note "base stocks" - plural. it doesn't
say they /actually/ use pao as their base stock - they say "base stocks"
plural and their msds filings prove pao is not their base. impurities
are a totally different subject - muddying the water in fact.

> "PAO synthetic base oils are therefore pure compounds containing none
> of the impurities found in conventional base oils derived from crude
> oil, as mentioned earlier."

that's a logical disconnect. you have a pure compound or a mixture of
compounds. conventional base oils may not be as highly refined as group
III's, but group III's are refined from conventional oils, not
synthesized like pao's or synthetic esters.
Old May 6th 07, 10:13 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech
jim beam

Ashton Crusher wrote:
> On Sun, 06 May 2007 07:52:05 -0700, jim beam
> > wrote:
>
>> Ashton Crusher wrote:
>>> On Sat, 05 May 2007 22:39:46 -0700, jim beam

>>> Well, it didn't leak and then the syn went in and within a couple days
>>> it was leaking badly from the valve covers. It cleaned out the crap
>>> around the cork. Ford 5.0 with 125K
>>>
>>> In the power steering system there was a very small leak but enough to
>>> make it low on fluid. Topped it up with synthetic and the leak got
>>> much worse. Suctioned the syn back out and put non-syn back in and
>>> the leak slowed down again.
>>>
>>> On another vehicle with zero leaks and 140K it didn't change things at
>>> all when I switched. Ditto on one with 120K.

>>> I looked in the past but I'm not your research gopher. There was a
>>> big dustup when some of the other companies started using pretend syn
>>> instead of the real stuff like Mobile.

>>> Yeah, like I said, it seems to be listing an additive. You'll note
>>> that the MSDS info does NOT total to 100% so clearly it's not the
>>> complete picture. Quite possibly "oil" is something that's not
>>> necessary to list on an MSDS whether is dino or syn.

>> that's the point dude, the "syn" is the poly alpha olefin - and it's a
>> minority component, not the majority base. mobil is still good stuff -
>> i use it, but as this legal msds filing shows, it's no longer "the real
>> stuff" it was once supposed to be. [maybe that's why there's no oil
>> leak issues any more?]
>>
>> seriously, check the web sites for the oilcos and read their
>> descriptions of their "synthetic" oil products. they use brilliantly
>> worded language that describes what synthetics /could/ be, but stop just
>> short of saying that they actually use it. the reason i picked up on
>> this is that you were propagating common myth about "synthetics", not
>> reality. from what i can tell from msds info for various manufacturers,
>> the only "true" [majority base] synthetics left on the market are the
>> ester-based ones from motul and red line.
>>

> Believe what you want. You are wrong.

if i'm wrong, mobil's msds filings are wrong. i'm happy for you to show
me otherwise, but you need to cite credible evidence.

Old May 6th 07, 10:26 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

>note the language "such as". note "base stocks" - plural. it doesn't
>say they /actually/ use pao as their base stock - they say "base stocks"
>plural and their msds filings prove pao is not their base. impurities
>are a totally different subject - muddying the water in fact.

I can see you believe in conspiracies. Exxon will not divulge exact
numbers for reasons other than what you want us to believe. The
below is what YOU want us to believe.

"10w-30 mobil1 is only 5% "synthetic"
Old May 7th 07, 12:41 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.honda,rec.autos.tech

On Sun, 06 May 2007 14:57:51 -0700, jim beam

>>> note the language "such as". note "base stocks" - plural. it doesn't
>>> say they /actually/ use pao as their base stock - they say "base stocks"
>>> plural and their msds filings prove pao is not their base. impurities
>>> are a totally different subject - muddying the water in fact.

>> I can see you believe in conspiracies. Exxon will not divulge exact
>> numbers for reasons other than what you want us to believe. The
>> below is what YOU want us to believe.
>>
>> "10w-30 mobil1 is only 5% "synthetic"

>dude, read the msds. it's a legal filing. it says 5% pao. don't you
>want to "believe" that?

It does not say PAO's or poly alpha olefins are 5%.
It says the POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE, POLYOL is 5%

The below, about Exxon product number 481176-00 MOBIL 1 10W-30
and its MSDS being #194095 is quoted from this link:
http://forums.corvetteforum.com/show...1537471&page=2

Begin quote:
On any MSDS, the section about the composition is to disclose those
components with known harmful effects to people. The polyalphaolefins
are NOT hazardous to people, so are not listed.

The POLYOFEFIN POLYAMINE SUCCINIMIDE is a cyclic organic compound
with nitrogen and oxygen added. Think ammonia blended in with the oil,
not the stuff you want to drink with cigars.