Engine Performance & Gas Mileage - Can You Assist Me?

Old April 13th 07, 12:30 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Rickster the Jeepster

Default Engine Performance & Gas Mileage - Can You Assist Me?

I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner
installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute air
instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to increase
engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What about
replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and all advice
or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

Old April 13th 07, 01:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys

On Apr 13, 7:30 am, "Rickster the Jeepster" >
wrote:
> I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner
> installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute air
> instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to increase
> engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What about
> replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and all advice
> or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

AHHH! The Leep model! Able to leep from rock to rock with small
jumps!
Throttle body spacer - not sure if the intake comes with one.

Old April 13th 07, 02:40 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

If you want mileage, dump the snake oil crap and go back to a stock
setup with an electric fan and wear lighter shoes.

If you want performance, you could add a header and cat back along with
that hot computer chip and intake you have on it.

The two are opposite entities, you can't have both in a Jeep.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's

Old April 13th 07, 03:27 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Earle Horton[_16_]

"Rickster the Jeepster" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner
> installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute air
> instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to increase
> engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What about
> replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and all advice
> or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

I have an electric fan in a four cylinder Wrangler and depending on where
you live it may not be adequate for use with a six cylinder engine,
especially during the summer, if you drive in the city, go off road, or like
to leave it idling.

Earle

Old April 13th 07, 10:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Rickster the Jeepster wrote:
> I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner
> installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute air
> instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to increase
> engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What about
> replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and all advice
> or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

You can have milage and performance, but not both at the same time.

--
DougW

Old April 13th 07, 11:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

"DougW" > wrote in message
> Rickster the Jeepster wrote:
>> I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous owner
>> installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute air
>> instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to increase
>> engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What about
>> replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and all advice
>> or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

> You can have milage and performance, but not both at the same time.
>
> --
> DougW

To be fair and honest Doug in a jeep you can have neither mileage or
performance

Old April 13th 07, 11:41 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> "DougW" wrote in message...
>> Rickster the Jeepster wrote:
>>> I have a 1999 Leep Wrangler Sport, 4.0L, 5 speed. The previous
>>> owner installed the performance engine cip as well as the Big Brute
>>> air instake system. Is there anything else that I can do to
>>> increase engine perfomrance & gas mileage for street driving. What
>>> about replacing the mechanical fan with an electric one? Any and
>>> all advice or direct experience would be appreciated. Thanks.

>> You can have milage and performance, but not both at the same time.

> To be fair and honest Doug in a jeep you can have neither mileage or
> performance

Where did I put that URL...
http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Art...05_11_06c.aspx

straight line jeeping. 8)

--
DougW

Old April 13th 07, 11:49 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
billy ray

"DougW" > wrote in message
> billy ray wrote:
>>>
>>> You can have milage and performance, but not both at the same time.

>> To be fair and honest Doug in a jeep you can have neither mileage or
>> performance

> Where did I put that URL...
> http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Art...05_11_06c.aspx
>
> straight line jeeping. 8)
>

> --
> DougW

What happens when you try to change directions?

Old April 14th 07, 01:19 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

billy ray wrote:
> "DougW" > wrote in message
>> billy ray wrote:

>>> To be fair and honest Doug in a jeep you can have neither mileage
>>> or performance

>> Where did I put that URL...
>> http://www.burnsvilleoffroad.com/Art...05_11_06c.aspx
>>
>> straight line jeeping. 8)

> What happens when you try to change directions?

Mostly noise and a peculiar rubber smell.

--
DougW

Old April 14th 07, 07:29 AM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Bookmarked!
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0
http://www.billhughes.com/