Oil-Pan Shroud Question

Old September 21st 04, 08:06 PM
Brian Running

Default Oil-Pan Shroud Question

The car is an '01 Jetta, base 2.0L engine. It has the shroud around the oil
pan, lined with foam. With every oil change, more oil gets into the foam,
both from the drain plug and the filter. The foam is thoroughly saturated
with oil.

Changed the oil Sunday morning, and noticed a couple of spots on the
driveway afterward. A look underneath shows some drops about to fall from
the shroud. My problem is, I can't tell if these drops are from the
saturated foam, an under-tightened filter, an under-tightened drain plug,
bad gasket, etc.

I'd like to get rid of the shroud and foam. How difficult is it to remove
the shroud altogether, and are there any reasons that this can't be done? I
assume it's there for sound deadening, and I assume that the sound with it
removed can't be any worse than any other engine without a similar shroud --
in other words, not that bad.

Anyone done this before?

Old September 21st 04, 08:48 PM
Paul

It's relatively easy to remove the shield - an 8 mm allen socket, a
screwdriver to pry with... I recommend that you remove it, take the foam
out, and reinstall the shroud - it's to keep rocks from going through the
oil pan (I'm assuming that you have the metal shroud as opposed to the
plastic one). You wouldn't believe the number of oil pans that we get in
with holes in them from running over things.

. com...

Old September 22nd 04, 02:30 AM

Paul wrote:
> It's relatively easy to remove the shield - an 8 mm allen socket, a
> screwdriver to pry with... I recommend that you remove it, take the foam
> out, and reinstall the shroud - it's to keep rocks from going through the
> oil pan (I'm assuming that you have the metal shroud as opposed to the
> plastic one). You wouldn't believe the number of oil pans that we get in
> with holes in them from running over things.

I believe the thing is primarily meant to smooth the under carriage for
aerodynamics.

TBerk
Protection from ROCKS? :\
Old September 22nd 04, 03:14 PM
Brian Running

> It's relatively easy to remove the shield - an 8 mm allen socket, a
> screwdriver to pry with... I recommend that you remove it, take the foam
> out, and reinstall the shroud - it's to keep rocks from going through the
> oil pan (I'm assuming that you have the metal shroud as opposed to the
> plastic one). You wouldn't believe the number of oil pans that we get in
> with holes in them from running over things.

So, the shroud mounting screws are not also the oil-pan screws, I can remove
the shroud without loosening the oil pan itself? I'll give it a whirl.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:17 PM
Brian Running

> I believe the thing is primarily meant to smooth the under carriage for
> aerodynamics.
>

> TBerk
> Protection from ROCKS? :\

You're talking about a different thing altogether, T. I'm referring to the
metal shroud that covers the oil pan, not the plastic pan that mounts with
the 4 Torx screws beneath the radiator. The oil-pan shroud surely wouldn't
help aerodynamics, and protection from rocks and other debris seems like a
plausible purpose. I assumed it was noise deadening because of the foam.

Old September 22nd 04, 03:50 PM
Paul

Ok... logic/common sense scenario/question: (and not to be a prick, just to
answer a question)

Facts:
1. The oil pan is basically the lowest hanging part of the car, aside from
the subframe, control arms, and exhaust - it's only about 1/2" higher than
any of these.

2. The oil pan is naturally "aerodynamic" - more so than the shield.

3. The oil pan is the first major component to hit a boulder, dog, curb,
etc in the event of road debris.

4. Aluminum is softer than iron, steel, etc.

5. The rest of the underside of the car is NOT aerodynamic.

6. The car, when equipped properly, has "aerodynamic" plastic covers
between the radiator and the oil pan.

So... you're driving along, minding your own business. You're enjoying your
vacation in the mountains of Colorado, weaving through a mountain pass.
There's a rock cliff on one side of you, a ravine on the other side. As you
go around a blind curve at 70, all of a sudden there's a football sized
boulder in the center of your lane, and there's a car coming your way. Do
you: a) change into the other lane b) go off the road on the other side
(cliff or ravine) c) go over the rock and hope for the best. - Obviously,
you'll go over the rock if you wish for ANY chance of survival. You hear a
loud bang, and look behind you - the rock is rolling down the road in a
cloud of dust. Luckily, there is a pulloff about 100 yards ahead of you -
you pull off, check under your car. Now... Situation #1: If you have a
metal shield, you're going to be happy it's there - it may be dented, your
pan may be bent, but likely, it won't have a hole in it. You aren't going
to be saying to yourself... "man, I sure am glad my oil pan is
aerodynamic!" - you'll just get in your car, and drive on to the next town.
Situation #2: You check under your car, and alas... you DON'T have a
shield - just a naked oil pan. But you don't see just the oil pan... you
see a splattering of oil and a crankshaft, 2 or 3 connecting rods... what do
you do THEN? Your vacation is certainly at a standstill... you check your
cell phone... NO SERVICE... crap... NOW WHAT? Hmmmmm.... Sure wish you had
that shield NOW, don't you?

.. .

Old September 22nd 04, 04:12 PM
Paul

T - I realized after I posted that you were talking about an entirely
different piece - my apologies for any rudeness.

:-S

.. .

Old September 23rd 04, 01:09 AM

Paul wrote:
> T - I realized after I posted that you were talking about an entirely
> different piece - my apologies for any rudeness.
>
> :-S

s'OK, for my part I haven't been up under a 'modern' VW since the
introduction of the New Beetle, which I saw up on a rack in Sunnyvale CA
at the dealer rollout party.

All I remember is the aero shield, not any oil pan covering, so either I
missed it (likely) or it came later.

I learned something and am happy for having dome so.

Leave it or take it off, is it oily due to leaks or human intervention-
that's back on topic.

TBerk