Steering stablizer

Old April 8th 07, 06:00 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lloyd Hanning

Default Steering stablizer

Well, after admitting defeat in trying to find the cause of the "death
wobble" in my '04 Rubicon (the dealer said everything is fine) I decided to
install an after market (Pro Comp) steering stabilizer. Here's the
question.....
In my hast, I forgot to get a boot for it...when I called the parts store
they didn't have any...in fact, the parts guy said "they really aren't
necessary as they trap dirt inside them and can do more damage than without
a boot". This is from an off road specialty store! So, do I need a boot or
is this guy just trying to rationalize why he didn't have one?

Lloyd

Old April 8th 07, 06:16 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
DougW

Lloyd Hanning wrote:
> Well, after admitting defeat in trying to find the cause of the "death
> wobble" in my '04 Rubicon (the dealer said everything is fine) I
> decided to install an after market (Pro Comp) steering stabilizer.
> Here's the question.....
> In my hast, I forgot to get a boot for it...when I called the parts
> store they didn't have any...in fact, the parts guy said "they really
> aren't necessary as they trap dirt inside them and can do more damage
> than without a boot". This is from an off road specialty store! So,
> do I need a boot or is this guy just trying to rationalize why he
> didn't have one?

I don't use boots. The store is correct, they tend to accumulate dirt
and mud then cause the shaft to wear prematurely. Now if your on
pavement most of the time and take care to clean the boots out after
offroading then they might be worthwhile.

--
DougW

Old April 8th 07, 06:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Dick[_1_]

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:00:54 GMT, "Lloyd Hanning"
> wrote:

>Well, after admitting defeat in trying to find the cause of the "death
>wobble" in my '04 Rubicon (the dealer said everything is fine) I decided to
>install an after market (Pro Comp) steering stabilizer. Here's the
>question.....
>In my hast, I forgot to get a boot for it...when I called the parts store
>they didn't have any...in fact, the parts guy said "they really aren't
>necessary as they trap dirt inside them and can do more damage than without
>a boot". This is from an off road specialty store! So, do I need a boot or
>is this guy just trying to rationalize why he didn't have one?
>
>Lloyd

All of my shocks AND the steering stabilizer have boots. Shocks are
Edelbrock. Stabilizer is Rancho. The whole point of having boots is
to keep dirt off the piston rod where it enters so you don't get a lot
of wear at that point. I would get a boot. They aren't going to trap
dirt unless they are cracked or loose.

Old April 8th 07, 06:51 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Mike Romain

Lloyd Hanning wrote:
> Well, after admitting defeat in trying to find the cause of the "death
> wobble" in my '04 Rubicon (the dealer said everything is fine) I decided to
> install an after market (Pro Comp) steering stabilizer. Here's the
> question.....
> In my hast, I forgot to get a boot for it...when I called the parts store
> they didn't have any...in fact, the parts guy said "they really aren't
> necessary as they trap dirt inside them and can do more damage than without
> a boot". This is from an off road specialty store! So, do I need a boot or
> is this guy just trying to rationalize why he didn't have one?
>
> Lloyd

The boots have holes in them because they have to act like a bellows and
move. Sealed they wouldn't move.

They 'do' fill up with mud and water and cannot be easily cleaned out.

I wouldn't use them on a horizontal shaft because they won't drain well
if at all. If you are careful when you install and put the hole at the
bottom, they will drain some, but the baffle ridges will stay full.

Mike
88 Cherokee 235 BFG AT's
Old April 8th 07, 07:09 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
The Merg

There's no boot on the OEM stabilizer for either of my YJs.

Old April 8th 07, 07:24 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
L.W. \(Bill\) Hughes III

Your stock stabilizer shouldn't have had one either:
http://www.billhughes.com/TJalign.htm
God Bless America, Bill 0|||||||0

t...

Old April 8th 07, 08:53 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lloyd Hanning

Yep, that's true, the OEM stabilizer doesn't have a boot, but when you
extent the piston, the rod is not exposed.
So it appears some protection is there, but not to the extent of what a boot
will give, or not give, depending on the conditions its exposed to.

Lloyd

Old April 8th 07, 09:44 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
SnoMan

On Sun, 08 Apr 2007 17:00:54 GMT, "Lloyd Hanning"
> wrote:

>Well, after admitting defeat in trying to find the cause of the "death
>wobble" in my '04 Rubicon (the dealer said everything is fine)

The reason they "death wooble" is because of caster and toe issues. A
stabiler is merely masking the real problem. Few dealer or alignment
places these days understand the real cause of this problem so some
say it is normal. When you get the correct combo of camber, caster and
to for your lift/tires size the problem will go away. The problem is
that factory alignement spec rarely will do this and you need to tweak
from there but few understand the cure so you are left hanging. I used
to align these solid axles 25 to 30 years ago before there was
computer racks and you had to know your stuff. I have fixed a few of
those death woobles in my day. If you can post your alignment readings
I can tell you what you likely need to do to get a real cure.
-----------------
TheSnoMan.com
Old April 8th 07, 09:54 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Jeff Strickland

My '81 CJ5 hasn't got a boot on the steering shock.

Old April 8th 07, 10:19 PM posted to rec.autos.makers.jeep+willys
Lloyd Hanning

Hey, THANKS.......when I took it to the dealer, they said they couldn't find
anything...I REALLY got the impression they just blew me off...It was under
warranty so that's not a good thing for them.
It appears to happen when the temp is over 70, and I'm doing about 50 mph
and I go over a bump on ONE wheel (either side). I put other tires (street
tires) on it, and keep them inflated to specs. I've never had it aligned or
hit any bad holes, so I can only assume the alignment is still what was set
at the factory. I've got 17k on it.
And, yes, I agree, an aftermarket stabilizer is fixing the symptom and NOT
the problem, but I'm at a loss.

Thanks for your help, I appreciate it

Lloyd